Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
You might want to post this in the Florida forum...
Or on the Cincinnati board where it is based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Or on the Cincinnati board where it is based.
That is exactly what I was thinking!

OP,
Complain to Cincinnati! Maybe you will get lucky.

Truth is... go Publix. They compete very well for the same demographic. Publix is located in Florida and you're in their back yard. Kroger might be a hard sell there.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
When I first moved to Atlanta, it had Publix, Kroger, Winn-Dixie, Ingles, A&P, and Bruno's. Probably more, heck, there may have even been a Piggly Wiggly here or there.

I think the grocery space has just gotten more competitive.

Of course, we didn't have Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, or Sprouts....so maybe consumer tastes are just changing.

And Kroger actually seems to be responding to that better than Publix. The Kroger by my house has an organic section that is almost as large as a Trader Joe's store.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking!

OP,
Complain to Cincinnati! Maybe you will get lucky.

Truth is... go Publix. They compete very well for the same demographic. Publix is located in Florida and you're in their back yard. Kroger might be a hard sell there.
The battle between Kroger and Publix is extending into North Carolina and South Carolina. It will be interesting to see how Publix's Charlotte Division competes against Harris Teeter. Ingle's will remain. Chains like Bi-Lo, Food Lion and Lowe's Foods are likely to be sold out or go out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
When I first moved to Atlanta, it had Publix, Kroger, Winn-Dixie, Ingles, A&P, and Bruno's. Probably more, heck, there may have even been a Piggly Wiggly here or there.

I think the grocery space has just gotten more competitive.

Of course, we didn't have Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, or Sprouts....so maybe consumer tastes are just changing.

And Kroger actually seems to be responding to that better than Publix. The Kroger by my house has an organic section that is almost as large as a Trader Joe's store.
Ingle's is still in the market, but needs to step up big time with additional and improved stores. Winn Dixie, A&P, and Bruno's declined into leaving altogether or disappearing for good.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
...and I would like a Mariano's in Atlanta. Heck even Meijer's would be nice. Not a big fan of Kroger and Publix being the only main options for groceries around here.
Meijer's was thinking of going into Atlanta back in the 90s, but it would have required them to borrow to do so, something they are generally loath to do, and then the Walmart ship sailed for north Georgia.

As for Kroger, the ones I shopped at when we lived in Tennessee were generally unimpressive. Loved getting to Florida and having Albertson's, (they had a local store; Publix didn't), be a huge upgrade.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,996 times
I was told that there used to be a Kroger here in Vero Beach, but it closed years ago. Now we just have Publix and Winn Dixie. Both have high prices, but Publix is FAR better on customer service. We generally grocery shop at WalMart for the best prices, especially since they meet sale prices of Publix and Winn Dixie. This mainly makes a difference in the BOGO items; generally the "sale" prices on items at Publix and Winn Dixie are the same as the regular prices at WalMart. I wish Meijer would come into Florida; they had the best sales. Kroger is about equal to Publix in prices.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 AM

248 posts, read 243,899 times
Can I put in a vote for Wegmans? I would love to see Wegmans in Florida.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:13 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Grocery stores and selection varies in Florida by city/town. Here where I live (Sarasota/Bradenton) we have just about everything you can have that is available in FL, plus some - Publix, Winn-Dixie, Walmart, SuperTarget, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, ALDI, and more on the way (Sprouts is coming soon, plus expansion of a wonderful Amish grocery store). Also, The Publix that ARE here, have stepped up to the plate offering more organics and unusual items.

I have no experience with Kroger so I can't speak to that, but as I said, it does matter where in Florida you live, we used to live in Lakeland (center of state) and did not have a fraction of the great shopping we have here.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 10,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Harris Teeter operates one store in Florida, [URL="http://locations.harristeeter.com/fl/fernandina-beach/34/"]store #34[/URL] in Fernandina Beach. Kroger's acquisition of Harris Teeter marked its entry into the state of Florida and its first and only store.

I do not know what Kroger's plans are for expanding into Florida. The quickest way to enter is through the acquisition of an existing chain. Bi-Lo Holdings, basically Bi-Lo in North Carolina and South Carolina and Winn Dixie in Florida, would be a target providing numerous stores in most markets Kroger does not have any presence or a minimal presence.
Thanks this was helpful. Sorry about posting under Atlanta.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
Ralphs, which is the largest Kroger subsidiary and based primarily in Southern California, wipes the floor with any Publix store I've ever had the displeasure of shopping at, and I lived in Florida for 12 years. Nothing comparable in FL, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida