U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 PM

15 posts, read 10,202 times

Advertisements

YET MORE OF THE LOVELY WHITE STUFF.....

New Years Eve: A few clouds but dry, chilly. Some leftover icy spots likely. Lows: 16-20.

New Year's Day: Mostly cloudy with snow developing. Accumulations of several inches before late evening. Highs: 32-36.

Tuesday Night: Snow winding down as snow showers Lows: 18-22.

Wednesday: Some sunny breaks with a gusty wind. Highs: 21-25.

Thursday: Mostly sunny and very cold with highs in the teens.

Another area of low pressure will track in our direction on New Year's Day and bring with it some snowfall. After a nice New Year's eve, the clouds will begin to roll in overnight and some light snow will begin during the morning hours. Most of the accumulation will take place later in the day and into the early evening hours. As the storm pulls away, much colder weather will move in for the second half of the week with highs staying in the teens for Thursday.

All of the complaining about Florida I did, I take back, and fully apologize for... I am going back!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot how cold it can be, I forgot about the 30mph winds that blow the snow into your face freezing it instantly, I forgot that driving in it reduces you to 12mph, and an extra 45 minutes to get to work, I forgot about pushing 13 inches of snow off your car is NOT FUN, nor is scraping ice off the windows for 15 minutes. Shoveling... another story I won't get into. BLACK ICE IS AWESOME!!!! $75 electric blankets... Ya I think I will be back in Cape Coral by March 1st......

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-31-2007 at 09:55 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,876,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris01012 View Post
YET MORE OF THE LOVELY WHITE STUFF.....

New Years Eve: A few clouds but dry, chilly. Some leftover icy spots likely. Lows: 16-20.

New Year's Day: Mostly cloudy with snow developing. Accumulations of several inches before late evening. Highs: 32-36.

Tuesday Night: Snow winding down as snow showers Lows: 18-22.

Wednesday: Some sunny breaks with a gusty wind. Highs: 21-25.

Thursday: Mostly sunny and very cold with highs in the teens.

Another area of low pressure will track in our direction on New Year's Day and bring with it some snowfall. After a nice New Year's eve, the clouds will begin to roll in overnight and some light snow will begin during the morning hours. Most of the accumulation will take place later in the day and into the early evening hours. As the storm pulls away, much colder weather will move in for the second half of the week with highs staying in the teens for Thursday.

All of the complaining about Florida I did, I take back, and fully apologize for... I am going back!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot how cold it can be, I forgot about the 30mph winds that blow the snow into your face freezing it instantly, I forgot that driving in it reduces you to 12mph, and an extra 45 minutes to get to work, I forgot about pushing 13 inches of snow off your car is NOT FUN, nor is scraping ice off the windows for 15 minutes. Shoveling... another story I won't get into. BLACK ICE IS AWESOME!!!! $75 electric blankets... Ya I think I will be back in Cape Coral by March 1st......
Welcome to the screw this we're going back to Florida cause it wasn't as bad as this ever could be club!!!!!!!!! There are a few of us this month.. and its only the begining of December I'm sure we'll have more coming our way

Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 AM

672 posts, read 687,544 times
Default Again, it's what you are used to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Welcome to the screw this we're going back to Florida cause it wasn't as bad as this ever could be club!!!!!!!!! There are a few of us this month.. and its only the begining of December I'm sure we'll have more coming our way
Granted where I lived we didn't get as much snow as upstate or New England. When my daughter left two days ago flights were delayed all over, but NYC was getting rain not snow. Late January and February are when the major snow storms hit.

Last year I worked the overnight shift in a group home. When it was snowing, I had to go out about 11 PM to clean off my car. Shovel the driveway? Forget it. In the DARK???? I just learned how to drive my car through the snow in the driveway. Plows? They don't plow the roads at Midnight. I had to make my own path in the snow with my compact car. Although I didn't have that far to go to work, it was downhill all the way on a very dark curved road. However, I had been driving that same road for over 20 years so I knew every square inch of that road. Good thing, too, because if I got into an accident there would absolutely nobody around to help me.

The woman who I had to releave at work lived about 30 miles away in Queens. She could not leave until I got there. When the weather was bad, she said it sometimes took her almost 2 hours to get home. I often said to her why didn't she find a job closer to home? She said she liked it here and was willing to put up with the sometime inconvenience. I think that says it all in a nutshell. You "put up" and learn to cope because you LIKE where you are. For the great majority of the people living in these areas, that is what they will tell you. The postives outweigh the negatives.

I can tell you having lived almost 60 years up North, it never ever occurred to me to say "I gotta get out of here and move to Florida". Never. I can say for certain there are MILLIONS of people out there who would say the same thing. If nothing else, it makes life INTERESTING. It's just so BORING here where every day is exactly like the day before. You tend to actually look forward to the change of seasons. What the hell is there to look forward to here? More sun? 80 degrees instead of 90 degrees? MAYBE some RAIN? You cannot tell the difference here in Florida between June and January. What it's maybe 10 degrees cooler? Big deal.

I really try to avoid people here who moved from up North. I get tired of telling them that I don't like endless summer here and did not come here for the weather. It really brings a downer to the conversation. I have nothing in common with them. I have no desire to say "Ha, Ha it's SNOWING up North." "Aren't you glad you are here?" NO! I find nothing funny in those kinds of statements. They actually make me mad because they think they have it all over other people. Well, dearies, you DON'T. The joke really is on YOU.

I have a few days off in January. I am thinking of going back to NY for a long weekend. Yes, JANUARY. Yes, there might even be SNOW. My daughter said she would come here again, but maybe it might be better and more enjoyable for all of us if I went back HOME. Emphasis on the word HOME.

Tara, being a native Floridian, you will never understand. Sorry.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Granted where I lived we didn't get as much snow as upstate or New England. When my daughter left two days ago flights were delayed all over, but NYC was getting rain not snow. Late January and February are when the major snow storms hit.

Last year I worked the overnight shift in a group home. When it was snowing, I had to go out about 11 PM to clean off my car. Shovel the driveway? Forget it. In the DARK???? I just learned how to drive my car through the snow in the driveway. Plows? They don't plow the roads at Midnight. I had to make my own path in the snow with my compact car. Although I didn't have that far to go to work, it was downhill all the way on a very dark curved road. However, I had been driving that same road for over 20 years so I knew every square inch of that road. Good thing, too, because if I got into an accident there would absolutely nobody around to help me.

The woman who I had to releave at work lived about 30 miles away in Queens. She could not leave until I got there. When the weather was bad, she said it sometimes took her almost 2 hours to get home. I often said to her why didn't she find a job closer to home? She said she liked it here and was willing to put up with the sometime inconvenience. I think that says it all in a nutshell. You "put up" and learn to cope because you LIKE where you are. For the great majority of the people living in these areas, that is what they will tell you. The postives outweigh the negatives.

I can tell you having lived almost 60 years up North, it never ever occurred to me to say "I gotta get out of here and move to Florida". Never. I can say for certain there are MILLIONS of people out there who would say the same thing. If nothing else, it makes life INTERESTING. It's just so BORING here where every day is exactly like the day before. You tend to actually look forward to the change of seasons. What the hell is there to look forward to here? More sun? 80 degrees instead of 90 degrees? MAYBE some RAIN? You cannot tell the difference here in Florida between June and January. What it's maybe 10 degrees cooler? Big deal.

I really try to avoid people here who moved from up North. I get tired of telling them that I don't like endless summer here and did not come here for the weather. It really brings a downer to the conversation. I have nothing in common with them. I have no desire to say "Ha, Ha it's SNOWING up North." "Aren't you glad you are here?" NO! I find nothing funny in those kinds of statements. They actually make me mad because they think they have it all over other people. Well, dearies, you DON'T. The joke really is on YOU.

I have a few days off in January. I am thinking of going back to NY for a long weekend. Yes, JANUARY. Yes, there might even be SNOW. My daughter said she would come here again, but maybe it might be better and more enjoyable for all of us if I went back HOME. Emphasis on the word HOME.

Tara, being a native Floridian, you will never understand. Sorry.
What I do understand is this as not made my life interesting, it has made it more work.. They dont' plow our street period.. we're snowed in right now, with another 8-12 today.. That is dangerous. I do not enjoy watching the ice gather on the electric wires on my house, I had to knock them off yesterday with a broom cause the wires were saggin, but the electric company couldn't get down my street to get em off.

You see the difference here with the snow storms and fla with the hurricanes is here the snow keeps coming, weekly and there is nowhere for it to go. We've had 40 inches of snow in a month, the snow drifts are higher than some of the lamp posts on main street. We've had a snow storm every sunday for a month.. there we had a ts or hurricane what every OTHER month if that, and rarely did they hit us.. I think that perhaps you have lived away from up north long enough now where you have forgotten some of the pains of winter. You say you remember, but you haven't had to do them for religiously for a couple years.

The snow is pretty too look at yes. And I definetly don't mind going outside for a walk when its snowing to enjoy it. but its everything else that comes with it.. I lived in Naples for 24 years.. I am well aware of the heat, the traffic, the bugs..

Sometimes people like the predictability of Fla weather.. Here I have to check the weather channel every single day before I leave my house. There I knew 2 things.. either sun, or thunderstorm.. Thats it I can deal with both.. Here I have to worry about my husband out in his patrol car every night, when its snowing and icing and he's gotta run code to some house in all of that.. He's already been hit at an intersection by someone skiddin on ice.. You think thats fun for me to worry about every shift? I would rather be able to spend my days with more time on my hands visiting fam and friends, bbqing at the pool, going to the waterside shops, or eating at Tin City, or starbucks on 5th then a walk to the pier, than here, where everything closes when it snows too much, the town closes down at 5 anyways. I can't drive to other states because the road are unpassable! How much stuff can I do in the snow anyways.. I mean honestly, ski, ice skate, sled , make a snowman and sled. Everyone of those involves being freezing cold, then getting wet and being more cold.

Also I have to have two sets of clothes, its getting expensive between boots, gloves coats jackets, hats.. You have to have two sets min because one set always seems to get wet and you need the other to supplement. But why am I tellin ya, you already know that. OH and btw,, flip flops, tanks and shorts are WAYYYYY CHEAPER than snow boots, coats and ski pants. I'm also not enjoying sittin here, witha space heater blasting on me right now so I dont' have to wear 2 layers to stay warm. I have to dry off my dog everytime I take him out becasue he gets wet from the snow and drags it into the house and then he shivers. Once again more work and pain in the butt stuff than I need.

There is a huge difference to comparing Fla and NE and NY.. And there is a huge difference to you visiting the snow in January and me living in here in January. I understand you like the snow.. I THOUGHT I did, I preached against Naples, and the heat.. Now that I've left I've realized that you know what its not so bad, at least for me. Maybe for you. But not for me. Cuz even in the heat I could run out and do errands if I needed too, even if I have to go from air conditioner to air conditioner.. Here I don't have that option, and if I do its going from the heat of my house (which the prices for heat and gas are OUTRAGOUS ) just for the both of those they add up to half my rent monthly.. In fla all i had was electric which was always less than $100 a month) so I go from heat of my house, slip down my driveway and slide to my car, where i scrape off snow and ice, and then heat my car for 15 mins, then go to the heat of a store etc.. There's no difference, except one I don't have to spend my time bundling up for 10 mins and then un bundle in the store, re bundle to go back to my car, then un bundle at home, and there where I can slide on my flip flops and tank top and go as I please..

Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 AM

548 posts, read 390,012 times
Quote:
What I do understand is this as not made my life interesting, it has made it more work.. They dont' plow our street period.. we're snowed in right now, with another 8-12 today.. That is dangerous. I do not enjoy watching the ice gather on the electric wires on my house, I had to knock them off yesterday with a broom cause the wires were saggin, but the electric company couldn't get down my street to get em off.

You see the difference here with the snow storms and fla with the hurricanes is here the snow keeps coming, weekly and there is nowhere for it to go. We've had 40 inches of snow in a month, the snow drifts are higher than some of the lamp posts on main street. We've had a snow storm every sunday for a month.. there we had a ts or hurricane what every OTHER month if that, and rarely did they hit us.. I think that perhaps you have lived away from up north long enough now where you have forgotten some of the pains of winter. You say you remember, but you haven't had to do them for religiously for a couple years.

The snow is pretty too look at yes. And I definetly don't mind going outside for a walk when its snowing to enjoy it. but its everything else that comes with it.. I lived in Naples for 24 years.. I am well aware of the heat, the traffic, the bugs..

Sometimes people like the predictability of Fla weather.. Here I have to check the weather channel every single day before I leave my house. There I knew 2 things.. either sun, or thunderstorm.. Thats it I can deal with both.. Here I have to worry about my husband out in his patrol car every night, when its snowing and icing and he's gotta run code to some house in all of that.. He's already been hit at an intersection by someone skiddin on ice.. You think thats fun for me to worry about every shift? I would rather be able to spend my days with more time on my hands visiting fam and friends, bbqing at the pool, going to the waterside shops, or eating at Tin City, or starbucks on 5th then a walk to the pier, than here, where everything closes when it snows too much, the town closes down at 5 anyways. I can't drive to other states because the road are unpassable! How much stuff can I do in the snow anyways.. I mean honestly, ski, ice skate, sled , make a snowman and sled. Everyone of those involves being freezing cold, then getting wet and being more cold.

Also I have to have two sets of clothes, its getting expensive between boots, gloves coats jackets, hats.. You have to have two sets min because one set always seems to get wet and you need the other to supplement. But why am I tellin ya, you already know that. OH and btw,, flip flops, tanks and shorts are WAYYYYY CHEAPER than snow boots, coats and ski pants. I'm also not enjoying sittin here, witha space heater blasting on me right now so I dont' have to wear 2 layers to stay warm. I have to dry off my dog everytime I take him out becasue he gets wet from the snow and drags it into the house and then he shivers. Once again more work and pain in the butt stuff than I need.

There is a huge difference to comparing Fla and NE and NY.. And there is a huge difference to you visiting the snow in January and me living in here in January. I understand you like the snow.. I THOUGHT I did, I preached against Naples, and the heat.. Now that I've left I've realized that you know what its not so bad, at least for me. Maybe for you. But not for me. Cuz even in the heat I could run out and do errands if I needed too, even if I have to go from air conditioner to air conditioner.. Here I don't have that option, and if I do its going from the heat of my house (which the prices for heat and gas are OUTRAGOUS ) just for the both of those they add up to half my rent monthly.. In fla all i had was electric which was always less than $100 a month) so I go from heat of my house, slip down my driveway and slide to my car, where i scrape off snow and ice, and then heat my car for 15 mins, then go to the heat of a store etc.. There's no difference, except one I don't have to spend my time bundling up for 10 mins and then un bundle in the store, re bundle to go back to my car, then un bundle at home, and there where I can slide on my flip flops and tank top and go as I please..
We have nieces and nephews up north that are the same age as our kids down here. It is night and day different for them.

The kids up north try to keep active but everything is expensive. Indoor ice skating (when they can get ice time), indoor sports leagues are loaded and expensive, indoor bounce houses are always crowded, indoor tennis $40/hour, ski trips....wow, very costly.

Basically everything the parents try to do for them costs lots of money. So in the end most days they stay inside and try to pass the time.

Same with clothes. Outfitting growing kids for four seasons, especially winter, is super expensive.

Down here, even in the dead of summer, its cheap stuff. Swimming, evening beach walks, scuba or snorkeling, tennis after the heat of the day passes.

Its the same thing for us adults and dogs. Its so easy to stay busy down here. Up north even the dogs get chubby trying to pass the time in the winter when everyone is trapped inside. The quality of life year round is a million times better for us down here than when we lived up north.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:14 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,866,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
We have nieces and nephews up north that are the same age as our kids down here. It is night and day different for them.

The kids up north try to keep active but everything is expensive. Indoor ice skating (when they can get ice time), indoor sports leagues are loaded and expensive, indoor bounce houses are always crowded, indoor tennis $40/hour, ski trips....wow, very costly.

Basically everything the parents try to do for them costs lots of money. So in the end most days they stay inside and try to pass the time.

Same with clothes. Outfitting growing kids for four seasons, especially winter, is super expensive.

Down here, even in the dead of summer, its cheap stuff. Swimming, evening beach walks, scuba or snorkeling, tennis after the heat of the day passes.

Its the same thing for us adults and dogs. Its so easy to stay busy down here. Up north even the dogs get chubby trying to pass the time in the winter when everyone is trapped inside. The quality of life year round is a million times better for us down here than when we lived up north.
Would LOVE to know where you found "cheap SCUBA".....

I can find lift tickets for ski-resorts that are half the price of the $$$ one needs to spend on SCUBA stuff...

Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post

I agree, and I'll be honest, I never see kids outside playing in the snow. The sledding hills that were packed the begingin of winter are now empty. The kids are staying in, and the hubby and I were gonna go up the ways to a ski mountain, till we checked out prices to rent equiptment, and ski pants, ski lift etc.. roughly about $40 a person for half day.. so thats $80 for half a day of fun... do that once every weekend so thats like what about $320 dollars a month... hey thats still less than my gas and electric bill!! Maybe it is worth it!! Down in naples I can pay $5 for a parking at the beach, bring all my BBQ stuff and relax the entire day... hmm thats 20 bucks once a weekend for the month.. Is there much to think about? You are correct the quality of life is much better down there.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:29 PM

Default My daughter just called me

Quote:
I agree, and I'll be honest, I never see kids outside playing in the snow. The sledding hills that were packed the begingin of winter are now empty. The kids are staying in, and the hubby and I were gonna go up the ways to a ski mountain, till we checked out prices to rent equiptment, and ski pants, ski lift etc.. roughly about $40 a person for half day.. so thats $80 for half a day of fun... do that once every weekend so thats like what about $320 dollars a month... hey thats still less than my gas and electric bill!! Maybe it is worth it!! Down in naples I can pay $5 for a parking at the beach, bring all my BBQ stuff and relax the entire day... hmm thats 20 bucks once a weekend for the month.. Is there much to think about? You are correct the quality of life is much better down there.
to tell me about an NFL game that is being played outdoors at the Buffalo Bills stadium. I guess she misses playing hockey.

She quit playing travel soccer at 12 (outdoors/indoors) to play travel ice hockey where it is ALWAYS below 32 degrees. Where we lived back then, there were no girls ice hockey teams so she had to learn how to play hockey with boys. When she started playing, she was the ONLY girl in the league. She played defense on the Jr. Varisty BOYS team. This was all HER choice. She had made the Girls Soccer and Field Hockey teams at school (OUTDOORS), but she choose to devote all her time to hockey instead and play YEAR ROUND.

We went to games and tournaments all over the Middle Atlantic and New England States. I can remember one national tournament where there was a girls team from Florida. We were very surprised to hear that Florida had a girls ice hockey team. The girls on our team had a nice time talking with these girls. The first question they all asked was how did they find ice rinks. They said it was very difficult and that they all had to travel many, many miles to join this team. They said they rarely had time to go to the beach, but they said they preferred hockey to the beach. They certainly had a very difficult time it seemed getting to practices, games, etc., so they must have truly loved playing this sport. I remember reading about a few of these Florida girls who made Division 1 colleges on scholarships. There are benefits, you know.

Just think about this. They had all the year round, cheap, beaches to go to, but they gave that up to do something they LOVED doing. Playing ice hockey where it is always below 32 degrees.

Ask my daughter if she felt DEPRIVED because she didn't go to the beach growing up. Yes, it did cost us a lot of money. But it was worth it in MEMORIES; all the people we met, all the places and states we traveled to.

We didn't sit around indoors in the middle of winter hibernating. They didn't cancel hockey games or tournaments because of cold or SNOW.

Tara, Vermont has EXCELLENT girls and womens ice hockey leagues. Maybe the kids are all at RINKS instead of outside in the snow.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:34 PM

114 posts, read 702,464 times
Default nice pictures

Very nice pictures but I wouldn't want that I rather be walking in the sun w/sweatshirt on. I think people in Florida who want to go back up north need to move up for three months before making the move. You feel so much better in the sun.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:42 PM

Default The last time I lived here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnf View Post
Very nice pictures but I wouldn't want that I rather be walking in the sun w/sweatshirt on. I think people in Florida who want to go back up north need to move up for three months before making the move. You feel so much better in the sun.
I made it through 6 months and went back in December. I went back to snow on the ground. It is now 7 months that I am here. I am trying very very hard to to IGNORE that I am in Florida. I feel as if I am in suspended animation. I am stuck in endless Julys. Just as Tara couldn't take living up North, I cannot take living in the South.

Accept the fact that not everybody likes 80 degrees. I wear long pants and SUNBLOCK every day. I will walk out of my way to be in the shade. I HATE THE SUN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida