Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:43 PM

114 posts, read 748,931 times

Advertisements

Sorry maybe your northerner. What brought you down there in the first place. I would imagine you had to like the mild weather.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 PM

672 posts, read 896,397 times
Default My husband's job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnf View Post
Sorry maybe your northerner. What brought you down there in the first place. I would imagine you had to like the mild weather.
Weather was not a factor at all.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM

497 posts, read 1,560,689 times
I can't wait until I am able to afford to move to Florida. I think I even have a place mapped out that I want to go to. I am thinking about Largo, FL. One of the things that have me pretty much sold on Largo is the crime index is really low. It's even lower than Portland Maine where I am from. Plus it's close enough to St. Pete's (11.5 miles away) so I am sure the jobs would be better in St. Pete's than in Largo itself.

It's also a lot cheaper living in Largo than in Portland Maine. So that's what I am looking at. I checked out an apartment complex that looks pretty decent too...they even have free paddle boats for the residents!

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...istingid=11191

This place has a decent rating in apartment rating.com

Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,470,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I can't wait until I am able to afford to move to Florida. I think I even have a place mapped out that I want to go to. I am thinking about Largo, FL. One of the things that have me pretty much sold on Largo is the crime index is really low. It's even lower than Portland Maine where I am from. Plus it's close enough to St. Pete's (11.5 miles away) so I am sure the jobs would be better in St. Pete's than in Largo itself.

It's also a lot cheaper living in Largo than in Portland Maine. So that's what I am looking at. I checked out an apartment complex that looks pretty decent too...they even have free paddle boats for the residents!

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...istingid=11191

This place has a decent rating in apartment rating.com
Thats one great thing about florida, LOTS of rentals.. It took us 4 months to find a place to rent here that would allow pets , no joke, everyone was absoluetly NO pets. We finally found a place, and we had to give a $500 pet deposit fee.. I've never had to pay that, the most I ever paid in Fla was $250 and I lived in a beautiful gated community. I now live in a s*** hole apt cause its the only thing we could find.. The great thinga bout fla is everything is new.. At first it seemed stupid to me, now its wonderful. Why would I want to be living in a house like I am now thats over 100 years cold when I can have a nice apt, or rent a nice house there for the same price and not have my pipes freezing, floors creaking, window aircondition units etc. It just common sense really

Old 01-01-2008, 06:09 PM

15 posts, read 13,483 times
I hear you loud and clear!!!! It was a nightmare finding this place. Luckily the owners have pets and let ours in without deposits. Yes this place is 162 years old, but taken care of, yet when I got here in August, I almost died with the 90 degree temps and no AC... Now it's friggin cold!!!!! FLORIDA I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE YOU IN 62 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST THINK WARM Tara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Thats one great thing about florida, LOTS of rentals.. It took us 4 months to find a place to rent here that would allow pets , no joke, everyone was absoluetly NO pets. We finally found a place, and we had to give a $500 pet deposit fee.. I've never had to pay that, the most I ever paid in Fla was $250 and I lived in a beautiful gated community. I now live in a s*** hole apt cause its the only thing we could find.. The great thinga bout fla is everything is new.. At first it seemed stupid to me, now its wonderful. Why would I want to be living in a house like I am now thats over 100 years cold when I can have a nice apt, or rent a nice house there for the same price and not have my pipes freezing, floors creaking, window aircondition units etc. It just common sense really

Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,231,079 times
The Pictures are beautiful. I'm from NYC and have lived in Florida for over 15 years. I am trying to get out of here. Tired of no seasons, constant heat, hurricanes (I'm in Ft. Lauderdale are), etc. I've done my time.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Default I have been in Florida for 7 months this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
What I do understand is this as not made my life interesting, it has made it more work.. They dont' plow our street period.. we're snowed in right now, with another 8-12 today.. That is dangerous. I do not enjoy watching the ice gather on the electric wires on my house, I had to knock them off yesterday with a broom cause the wires were saggin, but the electric company couldn't get down my street to get em off.

You see the difference here with the snow storms and fla with the hurricanes is here the snow keeps coming, weekly and there is nowhere for it to go. We've had 40 inches of snow in a month, the snow drifts are higher than some of the lamp posts on main street. We've had a snow storm every sunday for a month.. there we had a ts or hurricane what every OTHER month if that, and rarely did they hit us.. I think that perhaps you have lived away from up north long enough now where you have forgotten some of the pains of winter. You say you remember, but you haven't had to do them for religiously for a couple years.

The snow is pretty too look at yes. And I definetly don't mind going outside for a walk when its snowing to enjoy it. but its everything else that comes with it.. I lived in Naples for 24 years.. I am well aware of the heat, the traffic, the bugs..

Sometimes people like the predictability of Fla weather.. Here I have to check the weather channel every single day before I leave my house. There I knew 2 things.. either sun, or thunderstorm.. Thats it I can deal with both.. Here I have to worry about my husband out in his patrol car every night, when its snowing and icing and he's gotta run code to some house in all of that.. He's already been hit at an intersection by someone skiddin on ice.. You think thats fun for me to worry about every shift? I would rather be able to spend my days with more time on my hands visiting fam and friends, bbqing at the pool, going to the waterside shops, or eating at Tin City, or starbucks on 5th then a walk to the pier, than here, where everything closes when it snows too much, the town closes down at 5 anyways. I can't drive to other states because the road are unpassable! How much stuff can I do in the snow anyways.. I mean honestly, ski, ice skate, sled , make a snowman and sled. Everyone of those involves being freezing cold, then getting wet and being more cold.

Also I have to have two sets of clothes, its getting expensive between boots, gloves coats jackets, hats.. You have to have two sets min because one set always seems to get wet and you need the other to supplement. But why am I tellin ya, you already know that. OH and btw,, flip flops, tanks and shorts are WAYYYYY CHEAPER than snow boots, coats and ski pants. I'm also not enjoying sittin here, witha space heater blasting on me right now so I dont' have to wear 2 layers to stay warm. I have to dry off my dog everytime I take him out becasue he gets wet from the snow and drags it into the house and then he shivers. Once again more work and pain in the butt stuff than I need.

There is a huge difference to comparing Fla and NE and NY.. And there is a huge difference to you visiting the snow in January and me living in here in January. I understand you like the snow.. I THOUGHT I did, I preached against Naples, and the heat.. Now that I've left I've realized that you know what its not so bad, at least for me. Maybe for you. But not for me. Cuz even in the heat I could run out and do errands if I needed too, even if I have to go from air conditioner to air conditioner.. Here I don't have that option, and if I do its going from the heat of my house (which the prices for heat and gas are OUTRAGOUS ) just for the both of those they add up to half my rent monthly.. In fla all i had was electric which was always less than $100 a month) so I go from heat of my house, slip down my driveway and slide to my car, where i scrape off snow and ice, and then heat my car for 15 mins, then go to the heat of a store etc.. There's no difference, except one I don't have to spend my time bundling up for 10 mins and then un bundle in the store, re bundle to go back to my car, then un bundle at home, and there where I can slide on my flip flops and tank top and go as I please..
in comparison to living up North for 59 years. No, I did not forget what it is like. I have lived through blizzards. In the blizzard of 1978 we got 28 inches of snow in ONE DAY. I came home from work on the subway and I couldn't get home. I WALKED a mile and a half to my house in shoes, not boots, in the height of the blizzard to the point where I could not feel my feet anymore but had to keep moving. When I got home, I could not get in my front door. I had to get a neighbor to get me a shovel to get in. There were many others. One made the front eaves on my house fall down. We even rennovated our house in the middle of February and we lived there with the back of our house totally open to the weather. We used the fireplace to keep warm.

I could go on and on and on No, I have not forogtten. I lived through it for too long. I have NO REGRETS at all. I would do it all over again if I could.

As far as clothes, I owned 5 pairs of shorts up north and I have not bought any more. I own far less clothes than I did up north simply because I don't want to BUY any more summer clothes. I hate summer clothes. I will wear the same ones I had until they wear out. I wear long pants to work --- by my CHOICE. I can wear dress shorts to work, but don't want to. All in all it's a very BORING choice of wardrobe.

Tara, the bottom line is that you aren't cut out for the North and I am not cut out for South. You are fortunate that you can move. I can't right now because of my husband's job. We just plain have to stay here. That was the ONLY reason I came back to Florida. You see unlike you, I hadn't just vacationed in Florida, I had actually lived here before. I knew full well what it was going to be like. I knew I was going to hate it the same I had before.

Now, if I really wanted to stir up a Pandora's box I would get into the politics here but that might be for a different board.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 13,483 times
Naples is the last place I would go, I am content with moving back to CAPE CORAL... I hated Naples. But it was better than this tundra.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:09 PM

Default You deserve a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
The Pictures are beautiful. I'm from NYC and have lived in Florida for over 15 years. I am trying to get out of here. Tired of no seasons, constant heat, hurricanes (I'm in Ft. Lauderdale are), etc. I've done my time.
for being here for 15 years. I would either go insane, or be dead.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:27 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,470,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
in comparison to living up North for 59 years. No, I did not forget what it is like. I have lived through blizzards. In the blizzard of 1978 we got 28 inches of snow in ONE DAY. I came home from work on the subway and I couldn't get home. I WALKED a mile and a half to my house in shoes, not boots, in the height of the blizzard to the point where I could not feel my feet anymore but had to keep moving. When I got home, I could not get in my front door. I had to get a neighbor to get me a shovel to get in. There were many others. One made the front eaves on my house fall down. We even rennovated our house in the middle of February and we lived there with the back of our house totally open to the weather. We used the fireplace to keep warm.

I could go on and on and on No, I have not forogtten. I lived through it for too long. I have NO REGRETS at all. I would do it all over again if I could.

As far as clothes, I owned 5 pairs of shorts up north and I have not bought any more. I own far less clothes than I did up north simply because I don't want to BUY any more summer clothes. I hate summer clothes. I will wear the same ones I had until they wear out. I wear long pants to work --- by my CHOICE. I can wear dress shorts to work, but don't want to. All in all it's a very BORING choice of wardrobe.

Tara, the bottom line is that you aren't cut out for the North and I am not cut out for South. You are fortunate that you can move. I can't right now because of my husband's job. We just plain have to stay here. That was the ONLY reason I came back to Florida. You see unlike you, I hadn't just vacationed in Florida, I had actually lived here before. I knew full well what it was going to be like. I knew I was going to hate it the same I had before.

Now, if I really wanted to stir up a Pandora's box I would get into the politics here but that might be for a different board.
I think we have to agree to disagree here , you like snow I like beach.. simple as that.. And believe me the politics there aren't even close to the small town politics here in town.. They definetly "take care of their own" ...we've even had people personally tell us they don't accept outsiders ... its pretty sad when someone works at a PD for a year, puts his life on the line for all the officers there and they "forget" 3 times to invite him to company parties and a picnic and christmas party at a house... thast just the tip but whatever cause in 6 months none of this will matter anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida