U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 10,200 times

Advertisements

You put that in the right perspective.... It's like that here in Western Mass. Everyone also knows everyones business here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I think we have to agree to disagree here , you like snow I like beach.. simple as that.. And believe me the politics there aren't even close to the small town politics here in town.. They definetly "take care of their own" ...we've even had people personally tell us they don't accept outsiders ... its pretty sad when someone works at a PD for a year, puts his life on the line for all the officers there and they "forget" 3 times to invite him to company parties and a picnic and christmas party at a house... thast just the tip but whatever cause in 6 months none of this will matter anymore

Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,863,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I think we have to agree to disagree here , you like snow I like beach.. simple as that..
I'm tired of rain, so I'll move to the Sahara Desert.

Gee, I'm tired of dry, maybe the Amazon is for me??!!!!

Point is you're being affected by exposure to the other extreme... Now you "Like Beach" and dislike snow. Wasn't it just the opposite 2 months ago?? Why do you think moving back again to the OTHER extreme is the way to go??

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,420,702 times
Well, I do not know about snow, but it looks like Floridians are in for a FRIGID night for many down there! I have family in Jacksonville, Brooksville and Gainesville and West Palm Beach and all say its going to be cold for a couple of days.

I looked up the forecasts and it looks like parts of northern FL is forecasted to be as cold as the middle teens! Coldest forecast I could find was 14 tomorrow night in one area north of Gainesville.

Even our family in WPB, said it could get down into the 30s!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 PM

217 posts, read 812,546 times
Moving from Florida to New Hampshire is a bit extreme IMO. I grew up in upstate NY and I never got used to the snow. Sure, it's pretty on the ground, but driving in it is a different story. Also, do you think people slow down with snow and ice on the roads? No, they didn't, atleast in my experience. When we lived in a rural area of western Mass., some drivers would tailgate you on a snowy road, get mad, pass you, then later on they would be in a ditch further up the road.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,254,620 times
If I had to make the choice to move from one extreme to the other extreme I would do exactly what Tara did.

Tara, I know you post and what I admire is that you realized that you had made a mistake and was honest about it.

Sure some of the Florida bashers see you as a threat to there never ending Florida bashing, but I do not. I see you as being very valuable, not many have done what you did. Your experience is golden! You have been in both places so you have a better view of what it is like. Most people who want to find a way to keep people from moving to Florida have NEVER had that opportunity.

Congrats on realizing that living inside for 9 months out of the year just doesn't cut it. Might as well be a bear.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 AM

497 posts, read 1,395,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
Moving from Florida to New Hampshire is a bit extreme IMO. I grew up in upstate NY and I never got used to the snow. Sure, it's pretty on the ground, but driving in it is a different story. Also, do you think people slow down with snow and ice on the roads? No, they didn't, atleast in my experience. When we lived in a rural area of western Mass., some drivers would tailgate you on a snowy road, get mad, pass you, then later on they would be in a ditch further up the road.
I don't know where you and Chris are from in MA but I was about as far west as you can get in Mass. A little crappy town (technically a city) called North Adams. As bad as Maine is North Adams was even worse. At least we have the ocean in Maine. Of course I can't say we can swim in the ocean because even at the hottest time of summer the ocean only gets to the 60s.

I also don't have any illusions that living in Florida is going to be a paradise. I realize that no matter where you live you are going to have to work and struggle to make ends meet. But if it's a choice of making 10/hour in Maine or $10 an hour in Florida I will take $10 an hour in Florida. I just have to find a way to make my dream a reality.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,875,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I'm tired of rain, so I'll move to the Sahara Desert.

Gee, I'm tired of dry, maybe the Amazon is for me??!!!!

Point is you're being affected by exposure to the other extreme... Now you "Like Beach" and dislike snow. Wasn't it just the opposite 2 months ago?? Why do you think moving back again to the OTHER extreme is the way to go??

Well I know what life is like in Fla, I lived in Naples for 24 years.. I have family and friends that I've had all my life there. I took a chance, and it didn't work, so I'm coming home. Its very simple

Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
You're right it is extreme, for my husband NH was actually much farther south in NE that he was used to. so it was almost a halfway point lol. And you are correct they are worse in the snow up here than the rain down there. The hubbys already been in a head on collision with a lady, on her cellphone not paying attention speeding, hit her brakes , slid through an intersection hit my husband, who was driving code (aka police lights on) to an emergency, in the middle of the night. She claimed she didn't see him? How do you NOT see flashing cop cars at a dead stop at an intersection in the dead of night, with the lights reflecting off the snow, i mean if that isn't bright enough for ya daytime must feel like midnight to this lady...

Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
If I had to make the choice to move from one extreme to the other extreme I would do exactly what Tara did.

Tara, I know you post and what I admire is that you realized that you had made a mistake and was honest about it.

Sure some of the Florida bashers see you as a threat to there never ending Florida bashing, but I do not. I see you as being very valuable, not many have done what you did. Your experience is golden! You have been in both places so you have a better view of what it is like. Most people who want to find a way to keep people from moving to Florida have NEVER had that opportunity.

Congrats on realizing that living inside for 9 months out of the year just doesn't cut it. Might as well be a bear.
Thank you , what a nice thing to say There are always going to be bashers no matter where I go, I've been bashed in the NH board for "hating" NH and Florida for switching it up.. but not so much here, just a few times.. I made a mistake, we all do, so oh well lol .. I feel like I can give better advice now becasue I have experienced both, even if it's not a great experience I understand what it takes to live in both enviornments. I moaned and complained about Fla weather so I left which is more than I've seen a lot of people do , I learned my lesson, found that the grass is not always greener on the other side... Story of my life lol!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I don't know where you and Chris are from in MA but I was about as far west as you can get in Mass. A little crappy town (technically a city) called North Adams. As bad as Maine is North Adams was even worse. At least we have the ocean in Maine. Of course I can't say we can swim in the ocean because even at the hottest time of summer the ocean only gets to the 60s.

I also don't have any illusions that living in Florida is going to be a paradise. I realize that no matter where you live you are going to have to work and struggle to make ends meet. But if it's a choice of making 10/hour in Maine or $10 an hour in Florida I will take $10 an hour in Florida. I just have to find a way to make my dream a reality.
I know where North Adams is, its about and hour 20 from me.. I'm as far west as you can get in NH.. In the SW corner, I'm about 15 mins from Vermont to my west and 15 mins to Mass in my south. The water is COLD here lol! as are the lakes ... Pools are not common, I haven't been swimming since I left Fla. Like you I do not have the disillusions of living in Fla becasue I've done it for longer than a lot of people on this board, I'm well aware of what goes into all of it. And I'd rather take it Good luck making that dream a reality, its do able ! Just takes time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida