U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Scared to move to Florida and relocate from Long Island, high taxes, poor schools hurting family, seeking information on pros and cons of moving to Florida

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 AM

36 posts, read 75,778 times

Advertisements

I moved from NJ to west central FL 4 yrs ago. Now I'm ready to go back. Florida does have its good points and there are many things they do well here. Free & open access to all beaches, well-run airports, etc.

Taxes aren't much better here than up North. I'm paying as much or more in property taxes, plus hurricane insurance, flood, wind, etc. Also, while I live in a fairly "progressive" area, I know of people who moved here and are appalled at the cultural differences -- blatant racism, bigotry.

A few things I was suprised to learn: there are no state-mandated car inspections (a good news / bad news thing -- you have danergous, smoky heaps of metal flying down the roads), no mandated recycling, and no motorcycle helmut laws. Strange....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,383,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerQueen View Post
A few things I was suprised to learn: there are no state-mandated car inspections (a good news / bad news thing -- you have danergous, smoky heaps of metal flying down the roads), no mandated recycling, and no motorcycle helmut laws. Strange....
Recycling must differ regionally. In Broward we have mandated recycling.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 PM

12 posts, read 83,581 times
Smile Citrus Springs?

I live in Citrus County, my children attend the schools here, I teach here. I have also taught in other districts in Florida, this one far exceeds what them in what it has to offer students.

That said, the schools my kids have attended in Ohio and Michigan were stronger in some areas. However, Citrus County Schools met 90% of NCLB's requirements for AYP this past go around... because we didn't meet 100% they tell us we are under corrective action?!?! We score high on standardized tests and offer many enrichment programs for all level of students. So if you are looking at Citrus County it is one of the stronger, safer and nice places to live.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have! I also grew up here and am a product of the school system.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM

29 posts, read 79,830 times
Default hi

thanks for the info

Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,738,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
On the other hand, going from the Minnesota/Northeast schools to the Florida schools and experiencing the difference first-hand was like hopping into a spaceship and traveling to the Planet Dumbass.
Brutal but true and very funny analogy!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM

672 posts, read 687,410 times
Default How old are your kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headendtech View Post
HELLO ALL,ok heres my story a while ago last year we decided to sell our home on long island and move to flordia,we even had our house almost sold and we backed out.im not sure if it was the right thing to do..i have a wife and 2 kids,i was just thinking the schools a better up here??and they might have a better life,im not sure if its the right descision.??the taxes and costs are killing us up here...though i have a pretty good job its tough..im very stressed over this and am hoping to get help ...thanks!!!!
I lived in Smithtown and raised my kids there. I was also a para in the Smithtown schools and now here in Florida.

Hang in there.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM

29 posts, read 79,830 times
Default my kids

are ages 7 and 5...

Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 PM

672 posts, read 687,410 times
Default That is a critical time

Quote:
Originally Posted by headendtech View Post
are ages 7 and 5...
The foundations for their education are just forming. My daughter was special ed (speech delayed with processing problems). I credit her early teachers with instilling in her a love of learning and giving her the tools for knowing HOW to learn. They are both very, very important and all children need to learn these very young.

My daughter went through the Smithtown schools and is now a certified teacher in NY. I was a para in Smithtown and now in Florida. I have made my feelings well know on this board, along with others from other states, regarding the education of children here in Florida.

I am sure my daughter will also post regarding both her education and her life growing up on Long Island. I don't think she would say she was deprived because she grew up in the North. There are plenty of things for kids to do on Long Island. It is probably one of the most child oriented places around.

I know you were worried about your job. My husband went through that. But the economy is not great right now anywhere. If anything, it is probably worse in Florida than in NY.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. I know it's not an easy choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida