U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,015 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My family and I are looking to relocate to the Florida area. We are a 30 year old couple with 3 young children (not in elementary yet - but soon). We know we want to be on the water without a doubt. We are looking for a young family oriented community (kids outside playing, activities for kids, weekend festivals/festivities) with a sense of community, family values, & overall people who enjoy life. We currently live the DC area and it's all about rushing around and jobs! We are looking for an area to actually enjoy life (those who have ever visited or lived in the DC area know what I mean). Any suggestions on areas or more specifically actual neighborhoods/communities?

-Low Crime Rate
-Waterfront Community
-Decent Schools
-House 400-500
-Not opposed to buying a lot either and building.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 04:52 PM

2,863 posts, read 6,384,875 times
Do you have jobs?

Old 10-05-2014, 06:42 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,138,598 times
Check out Dunedin, Seminole, Palm Harbor all located in Pinellas County and The Satelite Beach Area in Brevard County is nice.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:21 AM

21,114 posts, read 30,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfamily5 View Post
Hi everyone. My family and I are looking to relocate to the Florida area. We are a 30 year old couple with 3 young children (not in elementary yet - but soon). We know we want to be on the water without a doubt. We are looking for a young family oriented community (kids outside playing, activities for kids, weekend festivals/festivities) with a sense of community, family values, & overall people who enjoy life. We currently live the DC area and it's all about rushing around and jobs! We are looking for an area to actually enjoy life (those who have ever visited or lived in the DC area know what I mean). Any suggestions on areas or more specifically actual neighborhoods/communities?

-Low Crime Rate
-Waterfront Community
-Decent Schools
-House 400-500

To avoid culture shock in terms of life outside of home (restaurants/shopping, cultural activities, demographics of residents) I would recommend cities like Jensen Beach, Stuart, Palm City, Jupiter and Tequesta or as already mentioned Palm Harbor/East Lake as well as nearby Safety Harbor.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:50 AM

4,158 posts, read 7,889,661 times
If lakefront qualifies as waterfront you could look into the Mt. Dora/Eustis areas as well.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:03 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,744,170 times
Be informed about waterfront and flood insurance, and what would happen if your home is in a flood zone and is damaged. There are a large number of canal lots here in Port Charlotte as well as across in PGI that had the homes demolished after Charley because they could not be brought up to standard.

As to where to live, Tampa area is generating the most jobs right now. You need to get that out of the way first. Find a job. Period. Be it Miami, Tampa, Whatever. Once you get the job, THEN find a home.

Now I know you have posted here in the Florida forum. But you might want to consider Biloxi, Mobile, Savannah, etc. No, they don't have the Florida canals and beaches, but they are seashore homes and would be a good antidote to DC.

Good luck with your search wherever you end up.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:45 PM

7,648 posts, read 16,033,018 times
Biloxi and Mobile are The Old Deep South in a way that even the Florida panhandle isn't.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,015 times
Thank you. I work from home so as a far as job that is taken care of.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,738,657 times
I second Palm City, Stuart and Jensen Beach areas

Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,036,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfamily5 View Post

-Low Crime Rate
-Waterfront Community
-Decent Schools
-House 400-500

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not going to find the type of community you described in Florida.

Based on your stated priorities, it seems like the DC area suburbs are a better fit for you and your family than just about any suburb I can think of in FL. Very few communities in FL are what I would call "family-oriented," and virtually no community in FL--at least that I know of--has a "sense of community." I'm sure there are plenty of people living in FL who have what you would call "family values," but overall, most of the communities in the state don't seem to have a family-orientation or family-friendly vibe like you'd find in other states, up to and including MD and VA.

Please understand that, in FL, there is a huge snowbird contingent, and the state welcomes millions and millions of tourists each year, perhaps more than any other state. Snowbirds and tourists are people who simply pass through the state for an allotted amount of time and then move on, so they, for the most part, have no vested interest in the state. Unfortunately, that culture of "passing through" FL has become so pervasive that it's permeated the culture of the state and, in turn, has made the state highly transient overall. I lived in FL for 12 years, and it seemed like the average tenure among residents was somewhere in the range of 2-5 years.

Although some transient states/areas are family-friendly such as MD and NoVA, FL is different because it tends to attract the lowest common denominator from states east of the Mississippi--and this is nothing new, either. Most people who move to FL are uneducated, blue-collar, and lowbrow, so things like education, economy, and culture aren't really priorities, which unfortunately, contributes to the family-unfriendliness of the state at large. With regard to the economy in particular, FL has a service-oriented economy with few jobs in the professional services sector--another strike against family-friendliness.

Just don't expect the same level of family-friendliness of your current area in FL--there's a reason why FL is a lot cheaper than the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or