Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 04:34 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to move to Florida, we are interested in the west side, Tampa - Sarasota - Ft Myers. Chris is more the bread winner than I so he will find a job first. He has submitted tons of resumes and is very qualified in his field.
My question(s) are - Will companies be less likely to call you for an interview if you are out of state?
Should he state in his cover letter/resume that he is not looking for relocating fees?
I've lived here in MD my whole life and I am curious to know from other people when thay had decided to relocate to another state how did they do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times
My family and I are considering the same move! My husband has sent resumes to companies in the Tampa/Sarasota area and has also received no response. We leave on Thursday to do some investigating in person. I will keep you posted. It does seem like a big move, but I can't wait for the nice weather!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagylyn View Post
My husband and I have decided to move to Florida, we are interested in the west side, Tampa - Sarasota - Ft Myers. Chris is more the bread winner than I so he will find a job first. He has submitted tons of resumes and is very qualified in his field.
My question(s) are - Will companies be less likely to call you for an interview if you are out of state?
Should he state in his cover letter/resume that he is not looking for relocating fees?
I've lived here in MD my whole life and I am curious to know from other people when thay had decided to relocate to another state how did they do it?
We had to move to SWFL due to job circumstances & were out of state when my husband received the offer. The company actually flew us to Fort Myers so we could find a place to live. They would have paid for all relocation fees but we were getting out of the military & the military paid for it all. We were able to use that point to get more base pay in his salary in FL since we needed a specific salary to meet cost of living & our budget in SWFL.

When he was interviewing for us to be able to leave SWFL, he did state that he did not expect the company to pay for relocation fees. He sent out 4 resumes & received 4 calls. All wanted to know if he was willing to pay for relocation & why he wanted to relocate, even though that was in his cover letter. Two interviewed him. The company he wanted to work for was about a 4 month long interview process & he had to fly back up here two times in those four months, both times paid for by us. This company had 6 people interviewing for one job, so he did what needed to be done & thankfully, he got it & we are in such a better place in our lives & he is very happy in his professional life.

With the state of the economy, many companies can no longer afford to pay for relocation.

If you are desperate to move to FL for the weather, than I guess your husband does what he needs to in order to get the job down there.

It is an area of FL that is really struggling in terms of professional employment. If this is where you guys want to go, don't get frustrated if it takes awhile. Many places & companies are on hiring freezes throughout the country.

This is also college grad time, so he may be competing with recent college grads. Just keep that in mind.

Also, when he was interviewing in FL & in OH, we did a budget based on what we needed to pay our bills prior to the interview. My husband went to the interviews knowing exactly what he would need in order for us to pay our bills. He didn't take the job & then do a budget.

If he gets interviews in FL, start calling around places to get an idea of rent. Call your insurance company & get quotes in car insurance & renters insurance. Will he need temp health insurance b/w jobs? Call & get a quote. Figure out the bare minimum you need to survive prior to getting all excited of a possible offer. If you guys know this at the start, you cannot be disappointed with yourselves.

We were desparate to get back to our roots, so we did what we needed. It took time. A lot of time. It doesn't necessarily happen overnight.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 AM

190 posts, read 764,012 times
"121804"

It sounds like your husband had qualifications that were much in demand and obviously not found in that companies area. Not all jobs will be like that. I think unless you have some out standing qualification they will hire people from the area. It all depends on what the job is and the needs of the company.

I am not tryin to be noisy...but do you mind telling what it is that your husband does?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
"121804"

It sounds like your husband had qualifications that were much in demand and obviously not found in that companies area. Not all jobs will be like that. I think unless you have some out standing qualification they will hire people from the area. It all depends on what the job is and the needs of the company.

I am not tryin to be noisy...but do you mind telling what it is that your husband does?
He works in the chemical engineering field though he is not degreed in it. He does have a Bachelor of Science degree, though. His military background & what he did in the military is what landed him the job in FL & in OH. That being said, he applied for jobs he was qualified for & that had openings.

He was with a recruiting firm when his military obligation was coming to an end & we were looking for his new "life".

We were not with a recruiting firm when the companies in OH called him & told him that he'd have to pay travel expenses for interviews, etc if they were further interested.

We had a base salary that had to be meet in order for me to be a SAHM. There were more jobs, but the salary was incredibly low..we are talking $25-$30k for jobs that are 10-12hrs/day. If one is single, that is livable. When your are supporting a family of 4 plus a dog, well, not so much.

But you are very correct...many times companies will only hire those from the area. It is cheaper & they can start almost ASAP if needed.

Yet, if people really want to move, there are ways to find jobs that meet COL. It just takes a lot of time & patience.

We took a pay cut to move back home & did not move until my dh had a job. We are of the mentality that you don't resign from a job unless you have one to make up for it. Bills have to be paid & we have no credit card debt & refuse to accrue any.

The job market is crappy everywhere right now. Economy is down the drain. We are happy he has a job, no matter where in the country it is

But even if you are making min wage & FL is your dream destination, you can figure out what you need to make in order to meet COL in the area. It's very easy to pick up the phone & start asking questions & getting quotes.

It doesn't make sense to move to an area if you cannot afford it nor have employment. You can find these things from out of state if you take the time & do lots of research & ask questions.

Last edited by 121804; 05-05-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 04:56 AM

190 posts, read 764,012 times
Thank you 121804, your posts have been very informative, I appreciate the time your took to answer even if I am not the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida