U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 AM

19 posts, read 73,321 times

Advertisements

Thank you if you can help us with some information on this area. I have only been able to find past posts on this town from 2009 ish. It didnt sound very promising from many of the posts. Can anyone tell us if it has changed? We are looking to relocate our family of 7. We will be coming with extended family so finding the right home has proved to be a bit difficult ...We need a home w/ an inlaw apt would love to be on the water in a decent area that's more small town than hustle and bustle. It has been so difficult! every time we find the right house the area doesnt seem to work out for us. We found a house....would even travel from MA to look at it...but now I am not sure....should we keep looking? Oh, and my husband watched a youtube video of someone on a boat on the river......there were tons of gators lining the sides....is that what the St Johns is like? I know Fl. has gatores but is this gatorville? Not getting a good vibe on this anymore :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM

10,092 posts, read 12,151,050 times
Palatka is tough on many levels. Cheap housing (even on the water) but it is rural living with limited job opportunities. Lots of gators in that dark water, be smart around the water and the gators are a non-issue. You have a much higher chance of a shark bite in Volusia County beaches than anything! Volusia is SE of Palatka.

I have been to Palatka a few times and it wouldn't even be a consideration to ever live there no matter what the price point is.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Palatka is tough on many levels. Cheap housing (even on the water) but it is rural living with limited job opportunities. Lots of gators in that dark water, be smart around the water and the gators are a non-issue. You have a much higher chance of a shark bite in Volusia County beaches than anything! Volusia is SE of Palatka.

I have been to Palatka a few times and it wouldn't even be a consideration to ever live there no matter what the price point is.
This ^^^. It's a sad little place, sorry to say.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,608,301 times
Of all the rural towns in Florida, why did you pick Palatka?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Ha ha ha! I did not pick Palatka. I found a great house and wanted to know why is was such a great deal. After a bit of research now we know. That is why I was asking...figured something was not adding up. Had a hard time finding any info on the area.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:47 PM

741 posts, read 721,784 times
I don't think these replies are adequate. I live in St Augustine (the FL county where pretty much everyone wants to live, in a part of town where most of the people who bash Palatka themselves could not afford to live) but have a country place in Putnam County and actually like Palatka a great deal.

First off, its stupid to judge areas from 1000 miles away based on real estate listings set to 'lowest price first'. It's just naive to do that. There is no such thing as a super awesome cute house for $10,000 in a prosperous and safe area. Safe, convenient, cheap. You can choose 2. In radically cheap houses, you can usually choose 1 and the choice is cheap. The city of Palatka has a large, low income black population. Without opening the can of worms and having to defend the truth against squealing idealists with good intentions, that plays a role in those super cheap houses. Of course, not all those houses are in the black part of town, but you're dealing with 100 year old homes that may need serious repairs.

Ultimately, though, wherever the house is, its in an area where there aren't a lot of jobs.

Once people get to blabbering about 'alligators', at that point its just a stupid bashfest. There are gators in all fresh water in Florida (but granted, the ones on the St Johns are rather large ) just like there are sharks in the waters off every beach in Florida.

Rural Florida is what it is. I happen to love rural Florida, but then again I'm actually from Florida. To me, Putnam County represents a lot of what St Johns used to have before all these morons moved here. Palatka isn't a place to you go seek your forture, but its a great place to go for a peaceful life.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 PM

477 posts, read 397,012 times
So for someone retired and on disability ... Can we have safe and cheap? Safe would include safe from alligators coming into the yard to eat my friend's seeing eye dog ... Laugh at my alligator paranoia if you will.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:26 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,456,308 times
I would suggest that you might also want to consider Sebring. It's similar in terms of housing costs, poverty levels, etc., but it's considerably safer and has an upbeat vibe as opposed to Palatka, which always seems depressing when I have to visit there on business. it's like Palatka has given up, while Sebring is working towards bettering itself.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM

741 posts, read 721,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
So for someone retired and on disability ... Can we have safe and cheap? Safe would include safe from alligators coming into the yard to eat my friend's seeing eye dog ... Laugh at my alligator paranoia if you will.
You bet.
Putnam County has a number of areas where you can purchase very inexpensive real estate in a nice, peaceful country setting. Alligators, don't live in the immediate vicinity of fresh water, you won't encounter alligators. Its really that simple. But yes. If I were on disability and looking for someplace cheap and safe in Florida, I'd probably look towards Putnam since you're pretty much priced out of St Johns at this point but remain very close to St Aug, Jax, Daytona, etc... actually commutable if you have to.

Of course the truth is, as you go further down the income ladder, you encounter things that are much less likely to encounter higher up the income ladder. If you've been around the block, you don't need me to explain any of this to you, there is no escaping this anywhere you go so if you're buying a $35,000 house, you're a lot more likely to live within a mile of at least a few people actively on probation for something than if you're buying a $400,000 house in a gated community in St Augustine, but a lot of the rural areas in Putnam are definitely pretty safe as long as you understand that rural areas have certain issues that other areas don't deal with.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 AM

The home we were looking at was not inexpensive...actually it was higher than the average....but that wasnt the point. I was just in need of some information from anyone who has lived there or close to...ect. I like rural just fine. I do have to think about my family as we would be moving with extended family ( 7 of us ranging from 18-58 yrs)who would need to work without having to travel long distances. I get it about the gators in Fl. they live there...but the videos of the air boats driving around videoing the gators all over the shores....not just a few lots of them! and they looked pretty big to me. I Did not mean to offend anyone if I did. Just sometimes it is hard to find info on an area other than what the realtor is telling you. I just dont think it's quite the right area for us. I do appreciate the input from you all. Still looking :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida