U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:03 PM

15,321 posts, read 17,534,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO Debates are a total waste of time as Republicans will vote Scott and the Dems will vote Crist.those changing their minds as a result of the debates would be such an inconsequential number as to not be considered relevant.
25% of registered FL voters are neither Democrats or Republicans.

Scott will get some Democrat voters and Crist will get some Republican voters. The latest poll of likely voters shows Crist getting 12% of the Republicans and Scott getting 10% of the Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:12 AM

34,267 posts, read 41,311,916 times
In the social circles that i deal with there isnt a single person who is on the fence about who they are going to vote for thus my previous opinion.However that group only comprises of several dozen people and obviously doesnt represent the whole state where apparently 25% of registered voters still have no clue who they are going to vote for mere weeks before the election.Do they really think something in these debates is going to give them the answer to who they are going to vote for?
For voters who care their research into the candidates at this point should have them knowing exactly what the candidates stand for,what their goals are whether their past record is worthy or not and whether they espouse Republican or Democratic political ideology that you will have to live with as a consequence of your vote.Debates are only going to be a media fluff event about issues the well informed voter should already know about.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In the social circles that i deal with there isnt a single person who is on the fence about who they are going to vote for thus my previous opinion.However that group only comprises of several dozen people and obviously doesnt represent the whole state where apparently 25% of registered voters still have no clue who they are going to vote for mere weeks before the election.Do they really think something in these debates is going to give them the answer to who they are going to vote for?
For voters who care their research into the candidates at this point should have them knowing exactly what the candidates stand for,what their goals are whether their past record is worthy or not and whether they espouse Republican or Democratic political ideology that you will have to live with as a consequence of your vote.Debates are only going to be a media fluff event about issues the well informed voter should already know about.
The "undecided voters" are < 10% at this point. The 25% are people that are either independent or not registered with any party on the FL voter registration.

A few years ago I was on the fence about 2 candidates and knew a lot about each candidate(did lots of research - even read books about each candidate) but still had some issues with each candidate so couldn't make up my mind for a long time. I watched the debates and made my decision after the last debate. The Q/A in the debate helped me choose.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:44 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,560,335 times
At least Scott has done what he said he would do if elected. He has concentrated on jobs as long as he has been in office. As far as Mr Crist, we need to talk to John Morgan to find out what he thinks.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,136,663 times
I am registered Independent (registered that way at 18 out of disgust and distrust for both parties as insincere pandering machines), and there are many like me in this state. But that does not mean we are undecided. Florida has a lot of "swing voters," who may come from Independents, but whom mostly come from centrists in either of the two parties who don't necessarily vote along party lines. I am not a swing voter for the most part, because I lean heavily liberal, but I do consider each person and each issue and would not vote strictly along party lines if I saw someone whom I supported - and at times I have voted for a centrist conservative candidate for the less powerful positions, or regarding bills.

It's just that our political system is so poorly designed, the career politicians and statisticians of Florida don't know what to do with the numbers - I am registered Independent, so since they don't track my votes they feel unable to predict how I will vote in any election, even though it is fairly predictable. Likewise, I know an awful lot of people who are in the middle about things, and who may have changed in their views over time and yet never bothered to formally change their party affiliation on their registration. So they don't vote along party lines in a way able to be tracked by registration. And there are those who are so in the middle they vote on both sides all the time, dependent on the candidate and the year.

It's not so simple as predicting votes according to registration, otherwise we would not bother to have voting, your registration would be your vote. Florida in particular is of course famous for having a large "swing vote" population, to the point where even in races where the outcome can change the course of our nation, and even well after the polls have closed, the final tally really comes down to almost the last vote. It is not predictable at all, even though some people may only know people who are heavily entrenched in the party system. That is not the rule in our country, and especially not in Florida.

Catholic voters - of which Florida of course has many - are one group known for swing votes, because neither party represents them completely. They tend to lean Democratic on issues of unions and government welfare and community resource programs, because these align with their religious beliefs around charity and supporting the people in times of need. But they tend to lean Republican on issues like abortion, or where Christianity and morals are repeatedly brought up. And yet the world is changing, and Republicans are alienating even much of their base with their extreme minority views against things that growing numbers of citizens on all sides support, like equal financial rights for citizens in same sex relationships, the equality of women, and of course their terrible relationship with people of nearly any minority group. Republicans' failure to connect well with the Latino base and to support compassionate immigration reform has caused them real problems in Florida also.

I'm not saying that any of this means the state is swinging Democratic, but in a state that has very deep conservative roots, the conservative base is messing up over and over again (coming across rich, devoid of compassion, old and out of touch), and the population of the state is changing with each year, to a point that makes each election anybody's guess.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
.... As far as Mr Crist, we need to talk to John Morgan to find out what he thinks.
Or you can watch the debate tomorrow, Wed 10/15/2014, to hear from Mr Crist directly.

It's on CBS from 7PM-8PM.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:28 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,560,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Or you can watch the debate tomorrow, Wed 10/15/2014, to hear from Mr Crist directly.

It's on CBS from 7PM-8PM.
No, directly would be to John Morgan. Crist is his puppet.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,141,367 times
Rick Scott is a joke and embarrassment to the entire state and for what it is worth if all Democrats voted in a higher turnout we would not have him as governor. Florida has no conservative roots and actually was democratically controlled through the 90s. The republicans didn't gain state control until the late 2000s like what happened in a lot of states like Ohio. Gerrymandering has made it difficult for their to be balance and thank goodness for the map being brought to light as favoring incumbents. It is being brought to federal court so hopefully it can be completely redrawn from scratch by a non partisan group.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,768,138 times
Wanna bet they exclude the Libertarian candidate? I have been predicting they will rig things to keep common sense out of this "debate".

Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,812,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Wanna bet they exclude the Libertarian candidate? I have been predicting they will rig things to keep common sense out of this "debate".
He was already excluded and is suing to get in since he was polling in the double digits.

Typical Repub/Dem co-conspiracy. Keep the illusion of two "choices" when it's really bad and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or