U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 AM

15,320 posts, read 17,529,852 times

Advertisements

Glad I watched the debate yesterday. Hope y'all enjoyed it as much as I did.

There is one more debate next week. I doubt it will be as entertaining as this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:46 AM

5,312 posts, read 8,141,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd be embarrassed if the candidate i was thinking of voting for had a hissy fit over something as inconsequential as his opponents use of a fan,and would look to me as a candidate trying to duck a debate because he knows his stance on the issues is weak.
I wasn't planning to watch any of the debates but there was nothing worth watching on TV so I tuned in. I couldn't believe what I thought I was seeing and, obviously, everyone else felt the same way. Until I heard the explanation, I was saying to my wife that whoever advised him to not go out on the stage because of a fan was probably going to lose his/her job for being a complete idiot. However, as the information became more clear, it seems that it was Crist who was having a hissy fit and it was Crist who said he wouldn't go out on stage without it. Scott was told Crist wasn't going to participate so he was waiting around backstage and didn't know, apparently, that Crist's people sneaked the fan out there and that Crist had already gone on stage. Even the moderator said the fan was a violation. Didn't you hear any of that?

I agree the whole thing looked stupid and ridiculous but to suggest that Scott was trying to "duck the debate because he knows his stance on the issues is weak" is not only wrong on its face, it is clearly wrong from a logic standpoint since he has already done one debate, did this debate, and has another debate coming up (assuming Crist doesn't violate the rules again) plus he is campaigning all around the state every day. That's hardly what someone does when they "know" they are weak on the issues.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 AM

22,120 posts, read 9,405,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post

I agree the whole thing looked stupid and ridiculous but to suggest that Scott was trying to "duck the debate because he knows his stance on the issues is weak" is not only wrong on its face, it is clearly wrong from a logic standpoint since he has already done one debate, did this debate, and has another debate coming up (assuming Crist doesn't violate the rules again) plus he is campaigning all around the state every day. That's hardly what someone does when they "know" they are weak on the issues.
No it is not stupid at all to suggest that. Rick Scott has a well known reputation for avoiding answering questions about just about everything.

Rick Scott ducks questions about campaign problems - Sun Sentinel

Romano: Rick Scott hides, dodges and ducks and the voters don't get answers | Tampa Bay Times

Rick Scott ducks Chuck Todd question about veto - Crowley Political Report

Rick Scott ducks questions about Cuba trips taken by supporters | Political Fix Florida

Rick Scott dodges questions in new American Bridge attack ad - SaintPetersBlog

Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM

34,258 posts, read 41,311,916 times
Quote:
However, as the information became more clear, it seems that it was Crist who was having a hissy fit and it was Crist who said he wouldn't go out on stage without it. Scott was told Crist wasn't going to participate so he was waiting around backstage and didn't know, apparently, that Crist's people sneaked the fan out there and that Crist had already gone on stage. Even the moderator said the fan was a violation. Didn't you hear any of that?
I didnt hear that side of the story, and in a brief scan of Google cant find it either.

Rather telling that the fan is the main talking point of this debate.Perhaps some one could give a brief recap of how the actual debate went as i can only find references to the fan incident.

Heres what i'm seeing=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUZHhVyYkP0

Last edited by jambo101; 10-16-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I didnt hear that side of the story, and in a brief scan of Google cant find it either.

Rather telling that the fan is the main talking point of this debate.Perhaps some one could give a brief recap of how the actual debate went as i can only find references to the fan incident.

Heres what i'm seeing=

Rick Scott Refuses to Debate Charlie Crist over Small Fan - YouTube
So, Crist is asked in this clip about the fan and the rules and he says he is not aware of any rule that disallows the fan, which he signed, then tries to deflect questions about it the subject. The moderators seem to know that this was a violation but I'm not certain of that. Later, his campaign shows a copy of the rules with a handwritten note (with no acknowledgement from the other side) saying he agrees to the terms if he can have a fan. So, how could he really be unaware of a rule that he later lamely tries to change? He's an attorney. An unsigned or non-initialed change is worthless and he knows that. This is typical Crist. He simply does whatever is expedient for him without regard for what he has said or agreed to prior.

In this clip, conveniently left out of the clip you looked at, Scott is asked why the delay...and he states that he was told that Crist had refused to participate. So, who had the hissy fit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQceruEiRnQ

I get that this is bunch of crap but these are the things dumb/shallow voters look at, rather than the substantive things and judging from the tweets last night, there's no shortage of voters out there that focus on all the wrong things like Charlie's tan and fan, and Scott's "alien" appearance.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No it is not stupid at all to suggest that. Rick Scott has a well known reputation for avoiding answering questions about just about everything.
I maintain what I said. The claim was that Scott was trying to duck the debate. He wasn't--plain and simple.

If you wanted to make the case that Rick Scott tends to inartfully duck questions he doesn't want to answer, these links support your case and, in fact, I agree with that. I think he is a terrible speaker. He is inarticulate and he lacks the prerequisite ability to smoothly seem like he is answering a question by repeating talking points rather than answering the question. Crist clearly is better at that. I'm not sure that's always a good thing but I think it is worse to have a politician who appears awkward and clumsy with their answers. However, I know where he stands and what he believes, and I feel comfortable that the choices he makes will, for the most part, be made within the framework of his core beliefs. NO ONE can say that about Crist--NO ONE. The man is a reed blowing in the wind who aspires to be a mighty oak. The thing is, you have to have strong roots to be a mighty oak and Crist will never have them. He is undeserving of anyone's consideration.

One more thing...I think of Crist as a Republican. Not an Independent. Not a Democrat. That John Morgan used his money and influence to get Crist to be the Democratic candidate doesn't matter one bit to me. He is what he is and I don't think anyone who is that self-serving (or at least that transparently self-serving) should ever be voted into public office.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:00 AM

I just saw this story so, in the interest of fairness and accuracy, I'm posting the link.

Fangate: Cause, effect of Crist, Scott debate delay disputed | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

Old 10-16-2014, 02:11 PM

4,226 posts, read 5,681,699 times
Quote:
However, I know where he stands and what he believes, and I feel comfortable that the choices he makes will, for the most part, be made within the framework of his core beliefs.
Like these core beliefs?

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...-medicare-fra/

The hypocrisy of Scott never ceases to be amazing. How people support this guy in any category is equally amazing and a little sad.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM

15,320 posts, read 17,529,852 times
The rules stated No Electronic Devices. People were having a difficult time interpreting whether a fan is an "Electronic Device'.

Ends up that technically - a basic fan is NOT an electronic device because it doesn't have a circuit board or other electronic parts such as diodes, transistors, etc. A fan such as the one Crist used is an electrical device, but not an electronic device.

In the end, all the hoopla was because folks in Scott's camp were assuming that a fan is an electronic device. When it really isn't. And the moderator's were just as confused because they were being told that the fan was against the rules by Scott's camp.

If they only had a third party Electrical Engineer on hand, their answer would have been clear. I am sure we will see such experts on the national news shows tonight, explaining the difference between a basic electrical device such as a fan, and an electronic device. A fan that also acts as a radio would be considered electronic. But that's because of the electronics needed for the radio part. The basic fan from the debate wasn't electronic; it was electric.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1054214AAo130k

Electronics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM

34,258 posts, read 41,311,916 times
What about lighting, speakers and microphones,air conditioning/ventilation, all the media cameras and recording equipment, Scott IMO was looking for an excuse to back out of the debate. something he's quite good at.
PolitiFact: Did Rick Scott invoke the Fifth Amendment 75 times? | Tampa Bay Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or