U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,504 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to this board and have been reading the threads. It's very informative!

My husband and I have decided that we will would like to move to FL in the next year or so. We need to move to an area where there are a lot of high tech jobs.

Can you please suggest any areas where high tech jobs seem to be? Perhaps there is a high tech corridor?

Thank you very much!

Jazz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 PM

6,704 posts, read 10,734,091 times
what sort of high tech jobs?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:59 PM

49 posts, read 94,757 times
Hi Jazzbloom,

To answer your question. I lived in Brevard County florida for 30 years. There are alot of Hi-Tech jobs in that county. I worked for Harris Corporation for over 20 years. They employ over 5700 people. They are a Military Contractor for the government. Also you have DRS Optronics, Kennedy Space Center and I know there are alot more companies in that area. Very nice area to live in. Check out Floridatoday.com and check out the job section. Good luck to you

Old 05-04-2009, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
I am interested in any other thoughts anyone has on this topic, most particularly in software development and engineering. Are there any metro areas in Florida particularly strong on that?

How do these different areas compare in software development jobs?

- Miami/Date
- Brevard
- Orlando
- Tampa/St. Petersburg
- Jacksonville

Any other areas I should be looking at?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:05 PM

3,827 posts, read 6,059,652 times
Boca Raton, southern Palm Beach County, for telecommunications, software development, and possibly biomedical in future as the University of Miami teams up with the Boca Raton campus of Florida Atlantic University.

Jupiter, northern Palm Beach County, for bio-science/bio-fuels and aerospace technology; the latter extends up the aptly named Space Coast; someone has already mentioned Brevard County and the Kennedy Space Center.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 PM

4,648 posts, read 8,538,590 times
Orlando's actually got a good amount of tech work. Lots of big military tech projects and companies in the area. Among the smaller metros, there's a good amount of high tech military contracting in the Ft. Walton Beach area.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:17 PM

569 posts, read 1,128,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachseeker View Post
I am interested in any other thoughts anyone has on this topic, most particularly in software development and engineering. Are there any metro areas in Florida particularly strong on that?

- Miami/Date
- Brevard
- Orlando
- Tampa/St. Petersburg
- Jacksonville

As another poster previously stated Boca Raton has some start-ups and good opportunities.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,714,805 times
for the most part fl sucks for IT unless you have security clearance for good pay...left once, leaving again.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM

569 posts, read 1,128,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
for the most part fl sucks for IT unless you have security clearance for good pay...left once, leaving again.
Florida is definitely not a corporate or IT heavy state. Mostly low end labor and retail unfortunately. I do know of some new start-ups in Boca though. Not much but maybe something. For true IT you need to go to big cities outside of Florida where there are big corporate headquarters and employers. They don't exist here.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM

5,704 posts, read 5,740,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachseeker View Post

- Miami/Date
- Brevard
- Orlando
- Tampa/St. Petersburg
- Jacksonville

Ask Wild Style he's in the business. He can talk specific tech from what I remember such as different certifications etc...

Also check ATT they are always hiring IT. At one time our major development group was in Orlando. Orlando and central NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida