U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:31 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,754,138 times

Advertisements

Per Tampa Bay Times, Florida unemployment continues to decline, with jobs with an average of $53K being created. Looks like FL economy is actually on the long-term upturn.

Florida unemployment falls to new multi-year low of 6.1 percent (w/video) | Tampa Bay Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,219,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Per Tampa Bay Times, Florida unemployment continues to decline, with jobs with an average of $53K being created. Looks like FL economy is actually on the long-term upturn.

Florida unemployment falls to new multi-year low of 6.1 percent (w/video) | Tampa Bay Times
I cant wait for the argument that the only jobs are minimum wage jobs, everybody in FL lives paycheck to paycheck, etc etc.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:29 AM

21,137 posts, read 30,240,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I cant wait for the argument that the only jobs are minimum wage jobs, everybody in FL lives paycheck to paycheck, etc etc.
I think you both suffer from what is referred to as selective reading. From the article:

"After getting hammered for creating low-wage health care, tourism and retail jobs early in the recovery, Florida's job influx has grown more wide-based. Jobs in professional and business services, which has resurfaced as a growth industry, have average wages of $53,000"

That's not all jobs with an average of 53K, it's for new professional and business jobs which the obvious pro-Scott article is trying to project as broad-based growth. If you actually think there are a plethora (above 15%-20% of new jobs) paying an average of 53K, you're delusional.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:56 AM

734 posts, read 730,045 times
Yyyyyeah, I'd like to see a % of these high(er) paying jobs as compared to the total. My guess is it's a relatively small amount that's being skewed to look like a greater number to fluff Scott.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 AM

21,137 posts, read 30,240,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Yyyyyeah, I'd like to see a % of these high(er) paying jobs as compared to the total. My guess is it's a relatively small amount that's being skewed to look like a greater number to fluff Scott.
Yep, as suspected....check out the breakdown by category in the report below. Also bear in mind each category such as Business and Professional Services includes part-time jobs as well as lower level support positions.

Florida Economy at a Glance

Old 10-19-2014, 06:36 AM

68 posts, read 70,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think you both suffer from what is referred to as selective reading. From the article:

"After getting hammered for creating low-wage health care, tourism and retail jobs early in the recovery, Florida's job influx has grown more wide-based. Jobs in professional and business services, which has resurfaced as a growth industry, have average wages of $53,000"

That's not all jobs with an average of 53K, it's for new professional and business jobs which the obvious pro-Scott article is trying to project as broad-based growth. If you actually think there are a plethora (above 15%-20% of new jobs) paying an average of 53K, you're delusional.
Thank you kyle , it is clear that you believe in FACT CHECKING and digging a little deeper than click bait titles and selective, cherry picked passages. Too bad I can't sell you a bridge, but don't worry, there seem to be many other people on here that I can try my luck with

Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 AM

Is your glass half full or half empty?

A lot of people here were bemoaning that there are no jobs. Then they went with the all the jobs are minimum wage.

The fact is that there are jobs, the number of people earning minimum wage is actually minimal.

Out of more than 10 million working people in FL, less than 1/4 million are paid the minimum wage.

6.1 unemployment rate, which a few will dispute as accurate, is an improvement and shows recovery after some very bad economic times.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yep, as suspected....check out the breakdown by category in the report below. Also bear in mind each category such as Business and Professional Services includes part-time jobs as well as lower level support positions.

Florida Economy at a Glance
Which of the dozens of links are you referring to?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 AM

4,226 posts, read 5,681,699 times
Yeah, that's the funny thing about averages. You take one $100,000 a year job and two $29,500 a year jobs, do the math and it comes to an average of $53,000. But it looks good on paper.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 AM

734 posts, read 730,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindraven View Post
Thank you kyle , it is clear that you believe in FACT CHECKING and digging a little deeper than click bait titles and selective, cherry picked passages. Too bad I can't sell you a bridge, but don't worry, there seem to be many other people on here that I can try my luck with
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Yeah, that's the funny thing about averages. You take one $100,000 a year job and two $29,500 a year jobs, do the math and it comes to an average of $53,000. But it looks good on paper.
exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or