Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:00 PM

20 posts, read 55,353 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone,

I've been looking and searching this site for some time now and finally I have a question. My parents are going to be moving to Branford in Jan. or Feb. Other members of the family are looking to go also. One is thinking of Mayo and the other Live Oak. These members are retiring soon. I my case, it's possible for me to transfer to the area. The closest town were I can go to is Like City or Gainesville. I'm from Miami and the taxes along with home owners insurance just keep on going up. Mainly my home owners which is going to double for next year.

I've been to Branford many time but have not check out Lake City. My main concern is schools. My child is in the 3rd grade and is doing well. For you guys in the area, how are schools out there? What experiences do you have? We'll more than likely be considering the move for the next school year.

How about housing? Are there new development going up? Which area should I check out and which should I avoid?

Any additional info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 03:16 PM

Anyone?????

Thanks

Not giving up.....

Hoping that someone might have some information.....

Take care...

Thanks...

maybe.....................

Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM

27 posts, read 155,529 times
We just made decision to settle in Lake City. Have been looking for over a year. We like the weather, size of town, and prices are ok, but if you want into a new subdivision, new house, then comparative to other areas. Gainesville will offer more active life, more restaurant selections, etc., but prices higher than Lake City. You are only 40min. to Gainesville so it is convenient. At this point you have Home Depot, Lowes, Super Walmart, and a few places to eat, Sonny BBQ, Texas Roadhouse, Cracker Barrel, Taco Bell, and a couple local places (havent been here long enought to try them out). We decided on this area for easy travel out of area, small city feel, and we could find a couple of acres of land close to town that we wouldn't pay arm and leg for. Still area of farming, ranching, but growing so I expect this to be thriving community in short time. Good luck in your choice.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the information........

I'll have to make the trip to the area and check out the area.....

Thanks again...

Anyone else chime in please... What are your thoughts???

Old 12-18-2006, 10:32 PM

Another try...... maybe

Old 12-20-2006, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 16,463 times
We moved here in August from Pinellas County and are VERY happy. We love the laid back surroundings and the fact that there is hardly any traffic. Just want to warn you about Gainesville, Alachua; the taxes are one of the highest in the country. If you relocate to Lake City or Fort White, it will only take you about 30 minutes or so to drive there if you want to do some shopping, but Lake City has just about everything you'll need. Like others said there are several restaurants, Super Wal-Mart and even a little shopping mall with JC Penney, Belk's and a Goody's I think. It is a really nice area but is growing quickly. I think the county is doing a good job with their growth perception as they are making the roads larger. I do miss some of the culture that we had in Pinellas and hope in time this county will come up to speed on that. For now we are still getting our feet wet and learning the area. Hope this helps some! Good luck!

Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,185 times
If you are looking for a country setting with a small town school close to Gainesville or Lakecity i would suggest Gilchirst county the taxes are not to bad and it's only 30 min to Gainesville and 30 min to Lakecity. Two public schools in the county to choose from Trenton in the south and Bell in the north both are A rated schools and have student population of only 400 kids grades 9th though 11th. Taxes on 5 acres of land and a home run about $900.00 per yer including special assesments for fire,ambulance and garbage. Also Gilchirst county has several natural springs and 2 rivers that are owned by the county and are open to the public for swimming, boating. Hope this helps. You can search net to find the Gilchirst county chamber of commerice for more information on our county. Good Luck

Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 PM

168 posts, read 760,597 times
as a near life-long floridian (unfortunately, i am currently living out of state), i have lived in south florida and in north central florida.

i would much rather live in gainesville than lake city, but property taxes are higher in alachua county.

i will warn you however - if your politics are anything remotely liberal, you may not like columbia county where signs greet you upon entering of their "zero" tolerance. you can extrapolate that to almost anything you wish.

just sayin'....anything outside of the larger cities or the college towns of florida means "the south" in every sense of the word. some of the smaller cities and counties have reminded me of georgia. word to the wise.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 PM

168 posts, read 760,597 times
oh, and p.s. - if you plan on living in lake city and driving into gainesville to work, it can be done. i knew two separate coworkers at different times that did it. both wore out a car a year going back and forth every day on I-75. one, horrifically, used to read the newspaper as he drove!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the input. After living in Miami all my life and since my parents are moving to Branford, I'm looking to move closer to them. Our family will not miss this place.... Don't get me wrong, it was nice growing up here but now as a home owner and having my Home Owners Insurance more than double, I'm ready for a change. From what I understand, I will only continue to go up and don't let a Hurricane come by, then all hell will break loose.

Any how, my biggest concern is finding a good school for my son. He's in the 3rd grade and currently in a charter school. He's doing very well there and looking for a school that's comparable. At the moment I'm only slightly familiar with Lake City. Hope someone out there can tell me of good schools in Lake City or even Gainesville.

I'm just trying to get a feel for that region..

Thanks to everyone and Merry Christmas.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida