U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,167,277 times

Advertisements

Hockeymom's daughter here...I know you like FL, but it's near impossible to get a house in Florida on a teacher's salary. I recommend NYC because our salaries are actually decent, and we get free health care/dentist along with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:51 PM

126 posts, read 296,730 times
Thanks for all the insight. I guess comparing Florida to Illinois is not that different for first year teachers. I would just have to realize that my pay will not go up as far.
Does anyone have any idea as to how long it would take me to find a teaching job in Florida? I have filled out all the online applications and e-mailed school, but I just did all that this past week. Being winter vacation I haven't really been able to do anything with it yet. I'm just excited and am wondering if I will get a job right away or have to wait till next fall since it is the middle of the year. I didn't know if they would hire a new teacher in January or not.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 PM

Rachael84,
Thanks for the advice! I would love to go to a state where I would make more money, but I don't want to be where there is snow and ice. I have some medical issues that make snow and ice really hard on me. So going to NY wouldn't work.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,014,226 times
I love Brevard County personally. They have mostly A schools except for a couple of the charter schools. Plus, the county is huge, so there's bound to be something. We lived in Hillsborough and one of my work colleagues, her father is the principal at one school there (don't know which one). I do know Hillsborough has some great A schools, but they also have quite a few D and F schools. This probably had to do with the fact that there are some pretty poor areas. Unfortunately, funding does make a difference.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 01-01-2008 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM

172 posts, read 871,724 times
Lee County is on a hiring freeze for teachers. Middle school Social Studies positions don't open up too often. I know because I've been hunting for one too Good luck on the job hunt!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM

29 posts, read 91,022 times
if you come into Palm Beach county look into Jupiter, great schools, Great Principals, pretty great children. I have found the parents to be pretty great also.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 PM

38 posts, read 154,080 times
Default teaching jobs in florida

Jobs are not nearly as plentiful in winter as they are in summer. I would suggest emailing middle school principals and sending your resume directly to the principals. I know a few people who have gotten their jobs that way. If you are still looking this summer, consider attending the Great Florida Teach-In in June. Also, many of the larger districts have their own job fairs. Have you joined Teaching Jobs - Education Positions That site can be a good source for jobs too.

You might consider expanding yourself to high school. You can teach out of field for one year, or you can take a test and get certified pretty easily. North Florida has quite a few job opportunties. Bradford County is always looking for teachers, but keep in mind that the most desperate counties are desperate for one reason or another.

Pay has gone up considerably in the last few years. Currently, Brevard starts around $36,000 -$37,000. I think Sarasota and Manatee are a couple of the higher paying districts. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale have a prohibitively high cost of living. Someone made a great point about health insurance. Keep that in mind when you are looking at jobs. In my current district, it would cost me $400 per paycheck to insure myself and my family, but it's only $10 a month for just me. Of course, I have pretty high co-pays. These prices do not include vision or dental.

Good luck with your search!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 AM

145 posts, read 497,999 times
Indian River County needs a middle school Language Arts teacher right now.

District Home

Also...there is a teacher who is moving away from Vero Beach and would let a house go at a steal!

If you could get into IRC now, there would be many opportunities to change at the end of the year.

Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 AM

672 posts, read 685,043 times
Default Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
Jobs are not nearly as plentiful in winter as they are in summer. I would suggest emailing middle school principals and sending your resume directly to the principals. I know a few people who have gotten their jobs that way. If you are still looking this summer, consider attending the Great Florida Teach-In in June. Also, many of the larger districts have their own job fairs. Have you joined Teaching Jobs - Education Positions That site can be a good source for jobs too.

You might consider expanding yourself to high school. You can teach out of field for one year, or you can take a test and get certified pretty easily. North Florida has quite a few job opportunties. Bradford County is always looking for teachers, but keep in mind that the most desperate counties are desperate for one reason or another.

Pay has gone up considerably in the last few years. Currently, Brevard starts around $36,000 -$37,000. I think Sarasota and Manatee are a couple of the higher paying districts. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale have a prohibitively high cost of living. Someone made a great point about health insurance. Keep that in mind when you are looking at jobs. In my current district, it would cost me $400 per paycheck to insure myself and my family, but it's only $10 a month for just me. Of course, I have pretty high co-pays. These prices do not include vision or dental.

Good luck with your search!!!
I pay nothing at all for my medical insurance. Yes, to add just a spouse it would be $400 a month. I could have elected to take the school district's dental insurance, but it was about $100 a month for myself and my husband. When my husband was out of work, I found a dental plan online that was very reasonable and offered a number of different plans. The plan I took costs $169 a YEAR for family (including kids) coverage. I compared it to the top dental plan the district offered and the dentists and benefits were the same.

I cannot give you the name of this, but if you google discount dental insurance, it will be the first listing you see.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
Indian River County needs a middle school Language Arts teacher right now.

District Home (http://www.indian-river.k12.fl.us/Pages/Default.aspx - broken link)

Also...there is a teacher who is moving away from Vero Beach and would let a house go at a steal!

If you could get into IRC now, there would be many opportunities to change at the end of the year.

Good Luck!
Thank you so much for all of your help! Is the Lang. Arts position you are talking about at Sebastian River Middle School? I have looked into it and plan on calling them right away on Monday.

Thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida