U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM

670 posts, read 1,507,883 times

Advertisements

How far South has red tide gone on the East Coast?
As far as West Palm?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,217,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
How far South has red tide gone on the East Coast?
As far as West Palm?

This link should provide the info that you need: http://www.floridamarine.org/feature...le.asp?id=9670

Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This link should provide the info that you need: http://www.floridamarine.org/feature...le.asp?id=9670
thx. that helps

Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,731,310 times
Honestly, I have never seen it here. Must have been lucky I guess!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM

497 posts, read 1,394,804 times
You know it's funny...I hear about red tide in Florida and people complain like it's the only place this happens. But every summer they close a bunch of beaches here in Maine because of red tide. So it's not like it only happens in Florida. I don't know but maybe it happens more often in Florida.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 AM

135 posts, read 657,624 times
people are complaining now because red tide is usually not found on the east coast of FL. it is common on the gulf coast but i've never heard anyone say it only occurs in FL.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Default Tallrick It's real Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Honestly, I have never seen it here. Must have been lucky I guess!
I've been unfortunate enough to be around Venice Beach and points North on the Gulf side when your eyes watered and nostrils became irritated (even the locals complained.)

By the way, I found a nice community for you. Similar to Key Largo (beautiful waters) and 92% white non-hispanic (yes, in Florida) Very laid back, totally anti-development and somewhat rustic, oh, and cheap.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,217,637 times
The latest report (28 dec) shows that this can be present in the Atlantic shore....

MIDWEEK RED TIDE UPDATE (January 2)

Due to the New Year's holiday no samples have been received this week for analysis. Sampling will continue this week and complete results will be available in the next scheduled status report on Friday, January 4.

REGIONAL RED TIDE SUMMARIES (December 28)

East Region: Water samples collected this week along the east coast of Florida detected Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism, between Volusia and Palm Beach counties. Southward progression of the bloom has continued, with cell concentrations diminishing in northern counties and increasing in southern counties. Samples collected alongshore in Volusia County contained no K. brevis while concentrations ranged from not present to low in the southern Mosquito Lagoon. K. brevis concentrations in Brevard County were patchy. Low to medium concentrations were detected in the southern Indian River Lagoon while in Melbourne Beach concentrations of K. brevis dropped from medium to not present over the course of the week. Samples collected between Indian River County and Palm Beach County contained K. brevis concentrations ranging from not present to medium. Additional samples collected offshore of Jupiter Inlet (Palm Beach County) contained background concentrations of K. brevis. Multiple reports of fish kills and respiratory irritation have been received from portions of Brevard and Indian River counties.

Northwest Region: Water samples collected this week from western Choctawhatchee Bay (Okaloosa County) detected Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism, at concentrations ranging from not present to very low. Additional samples collected alongshore between Escambia and Okaloosa counties contained no K. brevis.

Southwest Region: Very low concentrations of Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism, were detected this week in a single sample collected near New Pass in Sarasota County. All other samples collected between Pinellas and Collier counties contained no K. brevis.

The FWRI Red Tide Status Line is now available to callers to hear a recording detailing red tide conditions throughout the state. FWRI updates the recording each Friday by 5 p.m. after sampling efforts for the week have been completed and analyzed. Red Tide Status Line: (866) 300-9399 (toll-free inside Florida only); (727) 552-2448 (outside Florida).

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,731,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
I've been unfortunate enough to be around Venice Beach and points North on the Gulf side when your eyes watered and nostrils became irritated (even the locals complained.)

By the way, I found a nice community for you. Similar to Key Largo (beautiful waters) and 92% white non-hispanic (yes, in Florida) Very laid back, totally anti-development and somewhat rustic, oh, and cheap.
I wonder where that is? Also it used to be cheap and fun here in the late 80's!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I wonder where that is? Also it used to be cheap and fun here in the late 80's!
sent pm. The place, actually places, exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or