Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,337 times

Advertisements

While I am in the envious position that I could move anywhere, locating the perfect place in Florida is a formidable task. I am hoping that those far wiser than me can solve my dilemma.

I am looking to move (at least temporarily) to south - maybe central- Florida. I tabled a project a couple of years ago, but I have finally convinced myself to go for it. I've quit my job and will be leaving my hometown in Alabama the first of December. Even more brazen, I have limited expertise in my upcoming endeavor. The thought of burning through the kind of money that I am about to burn makes me queasy). I am thinking of the next few months as an investment in myself, time to learn new things and have new experiences. I will be spending an unhealthy amount of time at a computer, so warm weather and beaches seem like the perfect balance.

Background - I am from Alabama but lived in Cambridge, MA during college. I love the beach but never went as a kid, so my knowledge of beaches is pretty laughable. I am laid back, grew up next to cows (don't laugh) but currently live above a bar. I despise New York (I'm way too claustrophobic..). I enjoyed Boston except it was so unnecessarily cold (but it's walkability cannot be topped and the fact that nearly everyone on the subway is reading a book/newspaper just makes me happy). I LOVE London (walkability, cute neighborhoods, parks interspersed). The closest thing I can get to a beach town that I love is Cannon Beach in Oregon and the nearby state park Falcon Cove (Cannon Beach is mostly retirees but the town is so stinkin' cute. Falcon Cove attracts surfers).

Here's my wish list for my dream beach town -
1. It's more of a town than a metropolitan area
Miami would have so many more dating opportunities and better night life but so not interested since I would rather have some place scenic and quiet while I learn. Biking to beaches, running with my dog = heaven.

2. Groceries aren't miles away
Publix shouldn't be on my wish list because I could throw a stone and hit one in Florida but after having terrible groceries stores in Alabama… there must be a Publix or can manage with something that will destroy my budget further (Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Trader Joes)

3. Low Crime
I'd like to go running at sunrise with my dog, so not being mugged/raped kind of a priority

4. Dog Friendly
I am one of those maladjusted people who has somehow substituted an actual relationship for one with a furry friend. I love my Australian cattle dog, so having the ability to take him to a dog friendly beach would be amazing!

5. Smart, Interesting People
If they are driven, even better! I am not hugely bummed that most of these small beach towns are significantly older/ retirees. I really want this project to succeed, so dating/ night life is not a huge priority. However, interesting people are a must.

6. Possibility of surfing within driving distance
South Florida is definitely not known for its surfing. I know I would be far better suited to go to central Florida. However, I am a beginner, so catching the perfect barrel wave would be more deadly than exhilarating. I just want to be close enough that I could take lessons once/twice a week. I believe this would restrict me to the east side of Florida but, hey….

7. Random Bonus - Consignment Furniture
So I am officially in love with all the modern consignment furniture you can find in the Tampa area. In my opinion, where you have non cookie-cutter furniture, you'll have the interesting people who bought the cool furniture. (As if the rest of this post didn't already make me appear insane).

8. Random Bonus - Within Driving Distance of Communities in which Academics are important
If money gets too tight, I will return to tutoring for ACT/SAT/PSAT. It seems a bit odd to escape tutoring, only to tutor again, but it is a job in which I excel. At $100/hr, I have a 3 month waiting list as well as people who drive every week for 2 hrs each way. My business was entirely word of mouth. I am taking a huge gamble by moving and switching careers, but I will always wish I had if I don't.

PS I've reread this post, and I'll be the first to admit that I sound pretty pretentious and kind of dickish. My apologies. I'll claim quirky and particular, but I promise I am so much more open minded than I've somehow made this post sound.

Summary: Where's a smaller beach town that a girl in her late 20s could enjoy beautiful weather, amazing scenery, and chill people as she works to learn Python and Ruby on Rails?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by ModernGlass; 11-06-2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
I'm gonna go Jupiter.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:37 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
St. Petesburg is not exactly a beach town but up and coming city for people your age and also check Satelite Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, Miami Beach(Most Walkable Dense area in the State), Sarasota(Expensive), Delray Beach, Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:26 PM

49 posts, read 85,088 times
Have you chosen Florida in lieu of Hawaii because of the necessity of quarantining your dog? Oahu might otherwise prove a good fit.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:53 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
St. Augustine would qualify.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:50 PM

44 posts, read 51,566 times
Default Give Palm Coast Some Thought

Sounds like you really know what you want. I think Palm Coast Florida might be a place you could be happy in. I've lived in New York and New England and now Palm Coast. While each place has its pluses and minuses, I am happy to report that Palm Coast has many pluses. It's a new city, incorporated in 1999, with a population of about 80,000 (and growing). Most places are within an easy 10 minute commute to uncrowded beaches, lots of Publix stores, is relatively safe, has numerous parks with lots of events (and a dog park soon to be renovated), has convenient movie theaters and "broadway" like theaters, decent restaurants (although more variety would be nice), has 125 miles of interconnected walking/biking/jogging paths, affordable housing prices and rentals, has both gated and non gated communities and a relatively laid back lifestyle. It's also only a 30 minute drive to both Daytona and St. Augustine, 60 minutes to Jacksonville and is about 1 1/2 hours to Orlando. It also has a diverse population which contains many transplants from all around the country. The school system is also pretty good, being ranked 12th best in the state. Forbes also ranked Palm Coast as the best small city in the United States to live in. So long as you are not looking for great night life, this just might be a city you could enjoy. Happy to answer any other questions you may have regarding Palm Coast if this is of interest to you.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin'grl View Post
Have you chosen Florida in lieu of Hawaii because of the necessity of quarantining your dog? Oahu might otherwise prove a good fit.
Thanks guys! I knew you'd help!

St. Augustine was on my short list, but I had eliminated it because it wasn't quite as warm as the others. I will definitely reconsider it as well as the other northern beaches mentioned.

Not sure what quarantining my dog means but traveling internationally for a short period with a dog would be unnecessarily complicated.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I'm not gonna make a location suggestion, but I think your writing is very clear, entertaining, and not the least bit pretentious. Good luck to you in your programming endeavors!!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 AM

623 posts, read 965,226 times
Jupiter has it all we love it here

Old 11-16-2014, 04:23 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernGlass View Post
Thanks guys! I knew you'd help!

Not sure what quarantining my dog means but traveling internationally for a short period with a dog would be unnecessarily complicated.
Hawaii isn't international.

I'll second Jupiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida