U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,843,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That's the problem when you generalize an entire state if you want to get to the nitty gritty. The high income areas of California are so much more expensive than $1,224 per month. For example, the average 1 bedroom here in San Francisco is $2,800-$2,900 per month, a 2 bedroom is around $3,800-$3,900. You can play around by comparing San Francisco, San Jose, Orlando, Tampa, Miami to each other if you are really curious. I promise you that the difference is huge, that is why you are seeing families leaving California. It's a reason why there are more dogs than children in San Francisco.
And usually the 1 bedrooms or studios in and or around the SF Bay Area do not have W/D hookups, no A/C and are not too nice...then again I have been told that they charge hefty pet fees at many complexes and often extra fees per month for a pet.

South Florida rents are very high in relation to the salaries, but you do get more for your money here. 1 bedrooms are easily $1300/month+.

This is a place near me that is new and upscale.

Apartments at the Mall at Wellington Green | AXIS Wellington Green

Only difference is the demand here for housing is not based on a influx of high paying jobs like the SF Bay Area, more so retirees and people with deep pockets who look to escape the cold weather.

Median personal income here is around $44K/year, so a single wage earner would be dishing out more than 30% of their gross income on rent alone, not even considering how insane car insurance rates are here on top of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:42 AM

17,878 posts, read 17,711,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Optimus, I see that you currently live in Fla. Are there no redeeming qualities in Miami? I have heard people describe LA the same way you described Miami. It has been a while since being in Miami, but has it lost its diversity?
LA has a lot of weirdos and a__holes. However, compared to Miami, people in LA are much more friendly and worldly in terms of acceptance and knowledge. In Miami you have a lot of people that don't know much about other countries and a lot of rude people from the Caribbean. I love visiting Miami, but I never had an urge to live there because of the people. With that being said, there are still a ton of nice people in Miami, but in comparison to other major cities, it's below average in my opinion. I would rather live around Fort Lauderdale than Miami.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You're right. All of the hotel owners, doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, and engineers who are doing fine an live in nice homes in FL obviously made their money in other industries outside of the state

(Hint: pharma, healthcare, and defense/aerospace all have a BIG presence in FL, particularly in central FL in terms of defense/aerospace engineering).
I would say people who work in pharma, healthcare are living it large here, but others not so much. The "engineers" some but not a lot, many that are work in higher levels, VPs and etc. Typical grunt types, not the case many are living in 1 bedroom apartments or rentals. Things are cheaper in Central Florida so I can imagine it's not the same as here...South Florida is just a different animal.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 AM

4,978 posts, read 7,267,061 times
Quote:
Optimus, I see that you currently live in Fla. Are there no redeeming qualities in Miami? I have heard people describe LA the same way you described Miami. It has been a while since being in Miami, but has it lost its diversity?
There are some redeeming qualities about Miami.... primarily the weather...in the Winter time... and some beautiful beaches and access to the Florida keys.

The people are generally rude... Of course not everyone, but overall I'd say there is an aggressive, "out of my way" mentality here in Miami.... Where as in California I find that not to be the case. More granola, wordly, perhaps more smug tho, but not rude.

I'm generalizing here, but I feel as if i'm pretty accurate in my assessment on Miami... the people make it bad, the actual city and it's environs are nice. especially the parks and beaches. Restaurants, etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
LA has a lot of weirdos and a__holes. However, compared to Miami, people in LA are much more friendly and worldly in terms of acceptance and knowledge. In Miami you have a lot of people that don't know much about other countries and a lot of rude people from the Caribbean. I love visiting Miami, but I never had an urge to live there because of the people. With that being said, there are still a ton of nice people in Miami, but in comparison to other major cities, it's below average in my opinion. I would rather live around Fort Lauderdale than Miami.
South Florida is full of A-holes and jerks, I would say of all the places I have been outside of the Northeast there is a very high % of them here... just come visit and drive around for a few days. Go out and see if people hold the door open for you when walking into buildings and if you do it for them, odds are they will not say "thank you" or even acknowledge it, and it's not a English barrier...

Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM

3,389 posts, read 4,771,360 times
Quote:
LA has a lot of weirdos and a__holes. However, compared to Miami, people in LA are much more friendly and worldly in terms of acceptance and knowledge. In Miami you have a lot of people that don't know much about other countries and a lot of rude people from the Caribbean. I love visiting Miami, but I never had an urge to live there because of the people. With that being said, there are still a ton of nice people in Miami, but in comparison to other major cities, it's below average in my opinion. Ir live around Fort Lauderdale than Miami.
would rather live around Fort Lauderdale than Miami.[/quote]
Is that because of the NY influence in Lauderdale?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
would rather live around Fort Lauderdale than Miami.
Is that because of the NY influence in Lauderdale?
Yes. I just find the people more friendly and relatable in Fort Lauderdale. I've never lived in the Northeast, but have lived in various cities in Alaska, Washington, California, Florida and Australia. I find the people in Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, West Palm Beach to be overall quite similar to your typical American city, where as in Miami, I hear Spanish, Portuguese, or Creoles a lot more than English. I think a lot of the customs we have aren't the same in Latin America, South America or throughout the Caribbean, which makes it seem like people are rude, but in reality it probably has to do more with culture differences than people intentionally being rude.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
South Florida is full of A-holes and jerks, I would say of all the places I have been outside of the Northeast there is a very high % of them here... just come visit and drive around for a few days. Go out and see if people hold the door open for you when walking into buildings and if you do it for them, odds are they will not say "thank you" or even acknowledge it, and it's not a English barrier...
I used to live in Boca Raton, so I'm very familiar with the people in South Florida. I've met a lot of friendly people from Fort Lauderdale to Jupiter, but Miami on average I encounter more rude people than friendly, but as I mentioned in a different post, it also has to do with cultural differences. I know a lot of countries it's not normal to hold a door open or to say thank you to someone who does. Either way, that isn't the kind of place I'd like to live even if intentions aren't to be rude, which is why I didn't move to Miami.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,035,221 times
Quote:
Yes. I just find the people more friendly and relatable in Fort Lauderdale. I've never lived in the Northeast, but have lived in various cities in Alaska, Washington, California, Florida and Australia. I find the people in Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, West Palm Beach to be overall quite similar to your typical American city, where as in Miami, I hear Spanish, Portuguese, or Creoles a lot more than English. I think a lot of the customs we have aren't the same in Latin America, South America or throughout the Caribbean, which makes it seem like people are rude, but in reality it probably has to do more with culture differences than people intentionally being rude.
Quote:
I used to live in Boca Raton, so I'm very familiar with the people in South Florida. I've met a lot of friendly people from Fort Lauderdale to Jupiter, but Miami on average I encounter more rude people than friendly, but as I mentioned in a different post, it also has to do with cultural differences. I know a lot of countries it's not normal to hold a door open or to say thank you to someone who does. Either way, that isn't the kind of place I'd like to live even if intentions aren't to be rude, which is why I didn't move to Miami.
^I always thought this guy was a fraud -- now, I'm convinced he is because I can assure you that he's clearly never lived a day in Boca Raton, FL.

I lived in Boca for 12 years, and I can assure that Boca is -- hands down -- home to the rudest, pushiest, short-tempered, most argumentative collective group of people in the entire nation. The general lack of civility and common courtesy I experienced and witnessed while living and working in Boca is positively frightening, and the drivers border on hostile.

Boca easily has the highest concentration of NY'ers of any community in FL, many of whom have that lousy "tough-guy" attitude that remains in place even after 20 years in FL. IME, people in Boca are constantly striving to be rude, shrewd, "street-smart," or some other variant of "tough" while trying to con or deceive you in any way possible. People in Boca seem as if they're always trying to "one up" you -- ********* over in a business deal, cut you off in traffic at the last possible second, beat you to the stoplight, drive a fancier car than you, and so forth. Lots of spoiled, entitled brats.

Ask anyone who's ever had the displeasure of visiting or living in Boca their opinion of people who live there, especially those who aren't from NY or NJ, and I can assure you that the general consensus will be rude, miserable, entitled, and hostile. In Boca and neighboring communities more so than anywhere else in FL, you notice a lot of people moving down from the Tri-State area and into shiny new tract homes in a gated communities, thinking they have "arrived" like the second coming of the Messiah. Before long, these people think they're rich and, in their minds, "rich" people are rude, even though most people with family and long-term wealth are quite down-to-earth (as anyone who has spent time in CA knows ), so now they begin looking down their noses at people in service industry jobs. While living in Florida, I witnessed absolute horrid behavior among transplants, especially older [Jewish] ones, when talking to store clerks or restaurant servers--never witnessed anything even remotely comparable in CA.

Going off of what THX 1138 said, there are lots of shady people living and in particular doing business in Boca. While living in Boca, I noticed lots of NY'ers who moved down and opened glorified call center-type businesses to exploit the generally less educated workforce with abysmal wages, no benefits, and the "at-will" employment doctrine. After all, most of the employees these business hire don't know much about competitive wages, "at-will" employment, small group health insurance, etc. All of the office parks in Boca are filled with these types of businesses. Since FL is a pro-employer state and low-wage workers have few advocates -- not to mention little, if any, support from labor unions -- a lot of these shoddy hiring practices fly under the radar. FWIW, most office workers in states like CA, NY, TX, etc. have health insurance, but many in FL don't. Although this is a sensitive issue, I attribute much of this to the lack of integrity of Jewish-American business-people.

Aside from the weather, natural environment, and amenities, I couldn't think of a more unpleasant place to live and conduct business.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
^I always thought this guy was a fraud -- now, I'm convinced he is because I can assure you that he's clearly never lived a day in Boca Raton, FL.

I lived in Boca for 12 years, and I can assure that Boca is -- hands down -- home to the rudest, pushiest, short-tempered, most argumentative collective group of people in the entire nation. The general lack of civility and common courtesy I experienced and witnessed while living and working in Boca is positively frightening, and the drivers border on hostile.
I'm a Florida Atlantic University class of 2010 graduate... I've moved 10 times in my life and have found wonderful people in every city. I strongly believe those who lived somewhere and say all the people are crap, are just crap themselves and who wants to be friends with a pile of crap? I met many wonderful people while living in Boca Raton. People need to understand if you are proactively friendly, the vast majority of people will replicate your behavior. If you are a judgmental prick like 8to32characters, than the vast majority of people will be judgmental pricks to you as well.

Just like this... look at your attitude and now look how I am responding to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or