U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,837,813 times

Advertisements

I think most comparisons are made with Southern California and South Florida, mainly based on the weather late October'ish till April'ish. Also the lifestyle, beach, palm trees and etc., though very totally different it's one thing in common you will not see anyplace else in the USA since both states are coastal.

The biggest difference compared to the SF Bay Area and I would also toss in LA is the amount of high quality jobs in Tech, that alone blows the entire state of Florida out of the water, not only that salaries, start-ups and VC Firms.

People wise, both states have their fair share of commonalities, weirdos, transients, illegals and heavy Spanish influence. More Asians in California though.

Still feel that Florida takes the cake on the baby boomer and retiree population, especially this time of the year. Of all my trips to California and I have been to San Diego, LA and SF Bay Area often, more so SF Bay Area and I have never seen what I see here.

I'm moving to Sonoma County after New Years, but I'll still be coming back here a few times a year. Got to have the best of both worlds, but I prefer the Mediterranean Climate of the North Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM

3,389 posts, read 4,759,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's fair to compare any city, the only difference will be the amount of similarities/differences.

San Francisco vs Fort Lauderdale:

It's a night and day difference, meaning almost everything is opposite.

San Francisco is urban, while Fort Lauderdale is suburban.

You don't need a car in San Francisco, but you do need a car in Fort Lauderdale.

San Francisco has a heavy Asian population and influence, where Fort Lauderdale has a heavy Hispanic/Black population and influence.

The average salary is much higher in San Francisco compared to Fort Lauderdale.

The average rent is much higher in San Francisco compared to Fort Lauderdale.

San Francisco is full of hills and mountains, where Fort Lauderdale is flat as a pancake.

San Francisco is quite historic, while Fort Lauderdale is quite modern.

San Francisco has freezing cold ocean with big waves, while Fort Lauderdale has warm ocean with small waves.

The weather in San Francisco is colder year round compared to Fort Lauderdale.

There is less humidity in San Francisco compared to Fort Lauderdale.

There really isn't much similarities.

Los Angeles Area vs Miami Area:

There is quite a big difference, but it is definitely not night and day.

The Los Angeles area feels huge compared to the Miami area.

There is a much larger Asian population and influence compared to the Miami area.

The beaches and ocean in the Los Angeles area are more cold and polluted compared to the Miami area.

The landscape varies in the Los Angeles area, while the landscape is the same throughout the Miami area.

Both cities pretty much require a car to make life convenient.

Both cities are overall suburban with a few urban centers, but the Los Angeles area would be much easier to live without a car than the Miami area.

Both cities have hot summers, but the Los Angeles area is a dry heat, where the Miami area is a humid heat.

Both cities have extremely poverty stricken areas that feel like you are in a third world country.

-----

Well those are some differences and similarities.
Thanks for that.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I think most comparisons are made with Southern California and South Florida, mainly based on the weather late October'ish till April'ish. Also the lifestyle, beach, palm trees and etc., though very totally different it's one thing in common you will not see anyplace else in the USA since both states are coastal.

The biggest difference compared to the SF Bay Area and I would also toss in LA is the amount of high quality jobs in Tech, that alone blows the entire state of Florida out of the water, not only that salaries, start-ups and VC Firms.

People wise, both states have their fair share of commonalities, weirdos, transients, illegals and heavy Spanish influence. More Asians in California though.

Still feel that Florida takes the cake on the baby boomer and retiree population, especially this time of the year. Of all my trips to California and I have been to San Diego, LA and SF Bay Area often, more so SF Bay Area and I have never seen what I see here.
You're talking about baby boomers and retirees? Overall, or from what you've seen, does Florida seem "older" than California?

I'm moving to Sonoma County after New Years, but I'll still be coming back here a few times a year. Got to have the best of both worlds, but I prefer the Mediterranean Climate of the North Bay Area.
Also, what made you decide to leave Florida?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:48 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,094,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my view and by my measure, Florida is for someone who can't afford an analogous lifestyle in coastal California or Manhattan, while Texas, Arizona or Nevada is for someone who can't afford Florida.
In what way would someone think ARIZONA OR Nevada or even TEXAS a second place choice instead of Florida. NOT EVEN WEATHER WISE.

And why would someone who wants Manhattan chose FLORIDA?

You DO realize there are other ways to live an urban NYC lifestyle in proximity to NYC right over the bridge in Jersey or go one hour away to PHILLY, a BIG URBAN CITY right?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:04 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,094,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

You're talking about baby boomers and retirees? Overall, or from what you've seen, does Florida seem "older" than California?

In what universe would someone try and compare the CITY of San Fransisco [and Bay area let alone the state of California] to FLORIDA? Not to mention, California is the third largest state and Florida 21st.

Is California famous as being a "snowbird state" like Florida? I don't think so. I also recall the HISTORY of Florida when the people from up North CREATED IT as feasible for snowbirding after the turn of the century 1900 and famous/wealthy people used to winter here with their families, IE Palm Beach, Ft Myers. IE Thomas Edison age 38 , Henry Ford, The Dodges, Kennedys, Hemmingway. As something of an American Riviera. Then it became accessible to more people including COLLEGES' SPRING BREAK.

"SEEM OLDER"? LOL

You don't have to "feel" that Florida "takes the cake" on the Boomer and retiree population. Is this some secret? LOL.

We ARE on CITY DATA.

Interactive data map

Florida's median age is 38 years old, yet it still is an old person state

But the census is readily available, too.

California: Persons 65 years and over, percent, 2013 12.5% , USA 14.1%

Florida: Persons 65 years and over, percent, 2013 18.7%

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-16-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 AM

I wasn't aware of that Florida history runswithscissors. Very interesting.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 AM

6,535 posts, read 10,602,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Thank you! This was pretty good and along the lines of what I was looking for.

Actually I am in Arizona at the moment. Talking about potentially moving to San Diego, Denver, or Charlotte. Florida just popped up in the discussion and it intrigued me because I enjoy living near water (which I'm nowhere near right now!) I can make either coast work financially. I really like California, but honestly am concerned about the number of people fleeing because of taxes, politics and overcrowding.

Anyway, Good Luck!
You're welcome. Glad to see you know what analogous means: it's a challenging word.

On the one hand you mention you could make either coast work financially, on the other you seem concerned about California taxes, as well as politics and overcrowding, certainly legitimate concerns.

Anyway, do you include California taxes in your financial calculations? There are ways to offset them, such as state income tax deductibility at the federal level and California municipal bonds at the state level. Not perfect solutions, but they help.

Florida certainly beats California with a stick in terms of taxes (Texas not so much with its significantly higher property taxes). And I don't mind the humidity, so for me Florida is hard to beat. Though California beats everybody with a stick in terms of geographic diversity, economic depth, and, on certain views, cultural sophistication (but I can easily live without it).

I haven't been to California since the early 1980s, but I remember as a young man an uncle warned me back then about the overcrowding problem in the LA area going forward, and apparently he was accurate and I never settled there.

Is the San Diego area overcrowded now in your estimation? What about small coastal towns in between LA and San Diego or the Oxnard/Santa Barbara area?

By the way, there are some 7 billion people in the world, we all have our own experiences, views, values, preferences, parameters and variables, in a word, measures. I program my calculator based on my own and each one is free to do the same. Reasonable people can exchange views and compare measures, and the exercise is that much more valuable when they are somewhat different. Otherwise, what would be the point?

All the best!

Last edited by bale002; 11-16-2014 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 AM

15,091 posts, read 30,941,888 times
My earlier post about comparing city-to-city: I live in Sarasota, FL. There are many similarities between this city and Santa Barbara, and I have met people from Santa Barbara who totally agree. Both are cities with a lot of wealthy residents and similar size. Both have breathtaking coastal areas, and a lot of Mediterranean architecture. Sarasota has a lot of celebrities who live here. Both are expensive. Sarasota of course has a flat terrain but beaches are warmer and far more beautiful with sugary white sand. BUT the HUGE difference is - this is a bargain paradise compared to SB. We live in a modest home in a waterfront neighborhood two blocks from the bay. A comparable home in SB would probably be well over a million. Not to mention all the taxes in CA. We once considered moving to the central coast of CA (San Luis Obispo area) but lack of jobs and absolutely NO affordable housing changed our minds. At this stage of the game I actually prefer Florida, anyway, humidity does not bother me, and I prefer warm/hot weather all the time, plus I hate fog (California coast) and enjoy rainstorms (Florida).

So there you have it - one detailed comparison!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Also, what made you decide to leave Florida?
Easy, though I'll still own two properties in Wellington and may be buying a condo in Palm Beach, the decision was made after visiting Sonoma County on trips to SF, I fell in love with the weather, scenery and lifestyle, Sonoma County is less crowded at less than 1/2 the population of Palm Beach County, reminds me of Tuscany a lot and overall is where I like to live in semi-retirement. I'm only 45, but I'm still going to be working but not as much and by my terms.

South Florida is getting overpopulated and while I'm from the Northeast originally, I'm growing tired of the Northeast attitudes here and some of the people. I prefer the people, vibe and culture of the SF Bay Area than here as well.

I rent out one of my homes, my personal home will be rented by a Polo player from Argentina, people are going to rent it for a year and only live in a few months during Polo season, suppose to them $3500/month is nothing...while I still like South Florida and will have business connections and requirements here, I'll need to be here once a month at least, so I'll probably buy a Condo on Palm Beach to live in, so not really leaving for good but having the best of both worlds.

Last edited by THX 1138; 11-16-2014 at 09:36 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
In what universe would someone try and compare the CITY of San Fransisco [and Bay area let alone the state of California] to FLORIDA? Not to mention, California is the third largest state and Florida 21st.

Is California famous as being a "snowbird state" like Florida? I don't think so. I also recall the HISTORY of Florida when the people from up North CREATED IT as feasible for snowbirding after the turn of the century 1900 and famous/wealthy people used to winter here with their families, IE Palm Beach, Ft Myers. IE Thomas Edison age 38 , Henry Ford, The Dodges, Kennedys, Hemmingway. As something of an American Riviera. Then it became accessible to more people including COLLEGES' SPRING BREAK.

"SEEM OLDER"? LOL

You don't have to "feel" that Florida "takes the cake" on the Boomer and retiree population. Is this some secret? LOL.

We ARE on CITY DATA.

Interactive data map

Florida's median age is 38 years old, yet it still is an old person state

But the census is readily available, too.

California: Persons 65 years and over, percent, 2013 12.5% , USA 14.1%

Florida: Persons 65 years and over, percent, 2013 18.7%

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Your quoting a quote of mine that someone added their thoughts to...not what I stated 100%.

I take it you never been to Arizona then? It's the Florida of the west...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or