U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 AM

102 posts, read 151,200 times

Advertisements

The owner of Java Jungle is a client of mine and I found this to be a funny post! You are correct that her husband is a deputy with VSCO but I doubt that the store is wired to the SO. She is a good person and has some strong beliefs about government intrusion so I doubt that she would conduct herself in a manner inconsistent with her beliefs. Having said that.... I do not question your desire to move out of Volusia. It is a dump anymore and the nightly news is unreal to outsiders. Good luck in your transition and know that many like you have made the choice to get out of that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 05:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,141,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Fyi..HI has a huge meth problem. They seem to tolerate other things there.. No place is perfect..

Drugs, Inc.: Hawaiian Ice | National Geographic Channel
Grew up there as a kid - drugs everywhere. Surprising that I never did any of them, but classmates (elementary and jr high, high school) sure did.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:37 AM

5,634 posts, read 4,859,388 times
Some folk don't learn,
In "92" Big Bear Lake Caif. had an earth quake, so this family moved to Florida, and they had a severe storm, so they moved to HI, and they had a severe storm, no one knows where they went from there, but the point is, if you can't learn to deal with a few discomforts, you'll never be happy.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,141,486 times
I returned to Hawaii later in life and it is congested, has more crime than I remembered, prices for homes were outrageous, and everything was expensive. I enjoyed a couple of days seeing the old sights but was happy to return to the Mainland - think I had what they call island fever. Felt very constricted being on a small island. Enjoying FLA's prices, beaches and what Tampa Bay area has to offer. Can't see returning to HI even though I love it as a kid.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:42 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,624,772 times
I'd be interested to move to HI,(if I were single), mainly for the diving/fishing and nature. I watch Hawaii 5-0 every chance I get(the new series). I know about island fever(that's were FL has the upper hand; some of the things HI offers, not isolated and you can drive to 4 major metro areas). Still, drugs or not, I wouldn't mind living there, maybe Maui or in one of the smaller islands for a while.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:26 AM

3,646 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

So, as soon as our cat finally dies from cancer (she couldn't take a big move at this point in her little life) we are heading back to Hawaii.
It looks like that's one tough old moggy.
The OP is still posting from Florida and no sign of a move to Hawaii.
Wonder where he gets his morning Joe from these days ....

Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 AM

9,697 posts, read 6,985,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I returned to Hawaii later in life and it is congested, has more crime than I remembered, prices for homes were outrageous, and everything was expensive. I enjoyed a couple of days seeing the old sights but was happy to return to the Mainland - think I had what they call island fever. Felt very constricted being on a small island. Enjoying FLA's prices, beaches and what Tampa Bay area has to offer. Can't see returning to HI even though I love it as a kid.

Seems this is what happens when people discover an area and it becomes popular as the next latest and greatest "must move to" destination. It becomes congested, especially when the arriving population has outgrown the infrastructure, criminal elements arrive along with the throngs and criminal activity increases, housing prices increase as the demand outstrips the supply. This will be a problem anywhere that attracts extreme numbers of people planning to make the area their new home.

And there will always be the chronic malcontents who apparently have never figured out that there are yeays and nays about living anywhere It's incumbent on the individual to decide what's best for him and any involved loved ones, and make his own best choices, realizing that what he found attractive in a new area most likely attract many many others as well.

I hadn't realized that Hawaii was one of those latest and greatest "must go live there" destinations, hopefully the demands of its new arrivals won't completely overwhelm the natural beauty and resources this island has to offer. ( the Florida Keys come to mind as I write this). It would be truly sad, IMO, to see real estate developers peddling massive housing developments on the Big Island as they do in so many parts of Florida.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,053,746 times
This poster was trolling. They haven't been back since they went on their tirade. Just trying to get a rise out of everyone.

Seriously, even if you hate FL, the last place you're moving to is HI. Just getting out there with your stuff is going to cost you $20K.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,924,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyGal View Post
You can't compare one town to the entire state of Florida. You live in a redneck area of Florida.
Don't disparage the rednecks! LOL

I doubt the Volusia County Sheriff Department has the time/desire to monitor one coffee shop unless they are looking for a specific crime/person. And even its a waste of resources. Its a big county geographically and over a quarter of a million people.

Find another coffee shop for sure. Starbucks, McDonalds, there is even a Wawa in Port Orange all have good coffee. The in your face religion is annoying, but if you dont like it take your business elsewhere; But having a sign up or talking come on, it not like they kidnapped you and forcibly made you attend services.

Now if Hawaii is home it maybe what you are missing, but from your posts it seems you will be unhappy wherever you go

Last edited by jwolfer; 02-01-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 7,282,574 times
Bye, OP.

No one will care that you leave. Trust and believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida