Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Good to know

HEH well I agree to a point if you're talking about a few wacky urban centers or a couple of I95 exits. But I was just making MY point that people that have really never even been here don't have a clue about the real Florida. "I HAVE TO move to Florida cuz it's hot and cheap but the CRIME IS SOOOOOO BAD!" ????? You saw me say I'm NOT encouraging anybody to come here especially with the negative attitude.

All those pics were from humble little Indian River County/Treasure Coast. NY isn't the ONLY place with the whopping 25 acres and a handful of cows or horses.
RWS, I loved your posts about Florida, especially all the purdy pictures. Here in Manatee County where I live there is also a lot of agriculture - including organic farms, cattle and two wineries! Yes, wineries in Florida! Even though we live two blocks from the bay, if I go one mile east I see pastures with cows and horses on it! We have loads of nature preserves and parks here too, as well as two beautiful rivers (Manatee and Braden) and the bays and Gulf.

And for the record, our property taxes are now HALF what they were when we bought 6 years ago.

All this being said, I truly hope that NO ONE comes here with a pre-set negative attitude. When people have convinced them ahead of time how bad it is here, or they come with a pre-conceived notion how they will hate it here, they are usually miserable. GOD KNOWS WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE OF THOSE!!! I am looking for the day when some of them go back to where they came from.

ANYONE LOOKING TO MOVE HERE - IF IN DOUBT, DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
RWS- great pictures- thanks for sharing

Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM

749 posts, read 920,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
My husband and I are looking to retire so. We were looking at Fla but all we hear is bad news. We heard that the property taxes are reassessed every year and can double or triple the next year. Looking at real estate posts we see that some houses have taxes at $300, and others at $3000. We heard also that water bills are outrageous, and so is the sewer bills. Neither we pay now in NY. We also heard that food is very expensive. I have family in Fla, but they say every thing is wonderful, which we don't believe for a second. This would be our last move, and it has to be the correct one. Also that you can't get homeowners insurance and if you can find it, it's extremely expensive. Most web sites just tell you about the no state income tax and homesteading etc., but nothing about the "daily living" expenses. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I spent my winters in Florida, and yes, every time a house is sold the house is re-assessed and taxes go up, that is why the difference between one house and another, and ownership in Florida, changes often. The food is the same price as NYC. And Homeowner's insurance is extremely high.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:22 PM

749 posts, read 920,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
I spent my winters in Florida, and yes, every time a house is sold the house is re-assessed and taxes go up, that is why the difference between one house and another, and ownership in Florida, changes often. The food is the same price as NYC. And Homeowner's insurance is extremely high.
Also, home invasions and crime are extremely high.....

Old 11-24-2014, 01:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Also, home invasions and crime are extremely high.....

Do you have any statistical information that backs that up? Maybe a comparison to other states?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Average home owner insurance is $2k yearly. Food, as has already been determined in this threat is not the same as NYC. That is not how property taxes work. Property appraisers determine the just, or market, value of each parcel of property as of January 1 of each year. Then, they apply all valid exemptions, classifications and assessment limitations to determine each property’s taxable value, or relative tax burden.

So far it appears you know nothing about how it works in FL.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:32 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Average home owner insurance is $2k yearly. Food, as has already been determined in this threat is not the same as NYC. That is not how property taxes work. Property appraisers determine the just, or market, value of each parcel of property as of January 1 of each year. Then, they apply all valid exemptions, classifications and assessment limitations to determine each property’s taxable value, or relative tax burden.

So far it appears you know nothing about how it works in FL.
Florida also has laws in place stating that homesteaded properties may not have their taxes increased more than 3% a year.

And even with non-homesteaded properties, it can't be more than 10% a year.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Home invasions were so high around my home that we would leave the garage door open all day, I would go jogging at midnight without a weapon and on cool non-humid winter nights I would sleep with my backdoors open with only the fly screen between me and all the thugs!!! Oh yes, the crime was awful, the odds that I was never robbed was 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, I am was so lucky! *sarcasm*

Old 11-25-2014, 11:28 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
Thanks to all that posted. The reason I say I can't believe what my family says is because every time you ask, the story changes. Plus my mother WANTS me to move there so I can "Take care" of her, even though my sister is within walking distance from her. My homeowners insurance for a 2600 sf house on 103 acres, with coverage of 4 barns, and farm equipment is $1200/ yr. My mother who live in a 1000 sf house on a tiny lot pays $1600. And she says she's glad to get that. My mother claims she pays $200/ month in water. I pay zero because I have a well. My sister just won't tell me anything but she have money and spends it like she's dying tomorrow. My mother lives in Port Orange. Maybe it's just the area. I don't know. My husbands parents lived in Boynton Beach and called Fl a tropical nightmare, even though they lived down there for something like 30 yrs. They also said things are more expensive. So why did they stay if they hated it? Who knows. Both are dead now, but they did once say because they were "stuck" down there. We also know quite a few people who moved down there and came back, mostly because they couldn't get a job. With us, we won't be working- our pensions and SS will follow us anywhere, but we can't afford any surprises living on a fixed income. I LIKE Fl!! If I didn't it wouldn't even have been considered. I had wanted to go a down a few years ago but this was where our jobs where. We don't want a farm anymore. The work is getting harder. The weather up here is getting harder on us. My husband had two back surgeries and feels the cold even more now with all the hardware in and around his spine. Plus he has problems and more pain from injuries sustained when he was hit by a car 40 years ago. I also have upper spinal problems and fibromyalgia that bothers me with the cold. And yes- overpopulation is also a concern for us. How will that affect everyone. Especially with water. Port Orange already had water curfews. We just moved into our current house just this May (2014), when I developed my medical problems and my husband had his 2nd back surgery. We are putting this house back on the market. We can move once more. We can't just keep moving: Physically, emotionally, and financially. It's draining. We will be taking a road trip late winter/early spring. Its just that we want to narrow things down a little. We can't visit every town in the whole state.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:40 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Be forewarned about not being a flood zone. They can, and do, rezone a non flood to a flood zone area. Watch what happens to your insurance then. Kickbacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida