U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,887,002 times

Advertisements

Florida isn't the best state but its not even close to being the worst.. I would rate it in the top 10 best states to live in especially if you have work in health care, the job economy is rough in a lot of Florida's cities, let not pretend that people are not struggling while Florida gets a lot of wealthy Jewish NYers like my family that moved to Florida to live the good life after working hard there entire life. Florida has its issues but its still a great state to reside in. Not my favorite state to live thou I hate heat and humidity but still top 10 overall state to live in the USA for quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM

495 posts, read 471,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida isn't the best state but its not even close to being the worst.. I would rate it in the top 10 best states to live in especially if you have work in health care, the job economy is rough in a lot of Florida's cities, let not pretend that people are not struggling while Florida gets a lot of wealthy Jewish NYers like my family that moved to Florida to live the good life after working hard there entire life. Florida has its issues but its still a great state to reside in. Not my favorite state to live thou I hate heat and humidity but still top 10 overall state to live in the USA for quality of life.
Yes that's my family as well.

South Florida has absolutely delicious Jewish deli restaurants. Actually I would say the best there is outside New York Area and better than anything you would find in DC, Boston, Hartford and I'm not kidding. We have Rein's and Katz's up here and they rival Toojays in South Florida but 3G's beats that out and we don't have that up here.
Moreover, the prices for the NY equivalent are about 50% more so you can't beat that 3G's Matzohball Soup in Delray

Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Yes that's my family as well.

South Florida has absolutely delicious Jewish deli restaurants. Actually I would say the best there is outside New York Area and better than anything you would find in DC, Boston, Hartford and I'm not kidding. We have Rein's and Katz's up here and they rival Toojays in South Florida but 3G's beats that out and we don't have that up here.
Moreover, the prices for the NY equivalent are about 50% more so you can't beat that 3G's Matzohball Soup in Delray
South Florida does have a lot of good Jewish Deli/semi Kosher restaurants. I love visiting family members in Pembroke Pines, Coral Gables and Boca Raton. I love the South Beach nightlife but I don't think I would ever move to South Florida to live full time. Florida is the best place to vacation thou in the winter. I will be in Tampa and Miami in a month for the holidays. Happy Hanukkah.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:17 PM

734 posts, read 728,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Do u notice it is always the same keyboard jockeys that think everything they put forward should be accepted by everyone ? Thank God we have Batman and Robin patrolling the Florida forums to seek out truth, justice, and the Floridian way.
It's funny that certain people lash out at anyone who doesn't think FL is perfect and is brimming with good jobs, or have anything negative to say about FL. It's like they take every criticism about this state personally. It's beyond easy to bate them.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:20 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,199,461 times
Some will never give up their pre conceived notions and will never recognize anything other than their notions. FL does not continue to grow for people who cant afford to live in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Florida is a big state though and I would argue for Palm Beach County (especially Palm Beach Gardens, Delray, and Boca), where the wages do pay higher and more similar to larger cities in the Northeast than elsewhere, and yet still without the state income tax and with ability to live spaciously and affordably by settling for land west of the Turnpike and commuting East. The quality of life matters in South Florida and you won't find as many of the people who work for peanuts; they like their nightlife...all 7 nights of the week.

And as for schools, look to the public magnet school programs they are very high ranked on the national scale.

Wages in Florida are climbing faster than in the snow belt (actually catching up to NY wages rather quickly), while the cost of living remains much lower than up north. Most striking are the number of new family restaurants that take the risk of opening shop in Florida, where up north you find the signature restaurants are the longstanding multi-generational ones in business for decades. This means there's more new development in Florida. While there is rich history to the states up north, Florida's is still being written as we speak.

Rewind to 30 years ago, I would be depressed to consider moving down, but Florida has changed. I live in Connecticut but I like both Connecticut and Florida. It is very difficult to compare one vs the other because they are incredibly different places. Instead, there is lots of tourist traffic between the Connecticut and Florida (mostly from folks born up here who have family in Florida, but also Floridian professionals who want to see snow and be commute distance to New York City, and also some with businesses up here who want out of the cold weather but still hang onto living here). It's good for both states' economies actually.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
It's funny that certain people lash out at anyone who doesn't think FL is perfect and is brimming with good jobs, or have anything negative to say about FL. It's like they take every criticism about this state personally. It's beyond easy to bate them.
I totally agree wit this statement. People insult me all the time because I am from Kentucky and call the state I lived in all types of names and think I am a hillbilly/redneck because I live in Kentucky. I am not even from this state originally, I went here for graduate school. I have no ties to the state or care if people insult Kentucky. People are so stupid on his site, if they can't win an argument they act like little spoiled kids that can't get their way. It's sad that adults like this in today's times. I agree with you, lot of stupid people on this site that only love their home city or state and can't get over their bias.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:25 PM

734 posts, read 728,652 times
Quote:
I totally agree wit this statement. People insult me all the time because I am from Kentucky and call the state I lived in all types of names and think I am a hillbilly/redneck because I live in Kentucky. I am not even from this state originally, I went here for graduate school. I have no ties to the state or care if people insult Kentucky. People are so stupid on his site, if they can't win an argument they act like little spoiled kids that can't get their way. It's sad that adults like this in today's times. I agree with you, lot of stupid people on this site that only love their home city or state and can't get over their bias.
Not just natives, but transients who came here and think everything is 100% perfect and anyone who disagrees is met with hostility, edited or deleted posts, etc. That's why I don't really post much in the Tampa forum anymore. Too small minded.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The real problem is bashers who thrive on misconceptions, outdated information, wrong information, and provide no helpful commentary to any who actually likes being in FL like the other 19million + of us.

We, who actually live here, have a different perspective from those who don't.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Not just natives, but transients who came here and think everything is 100% perfect and anyone who disagrees is met with hostility, edited or deleted posts, etc. That's why I don't really post much in the Tampa forum anymore. Too small minded.
I agree with you on that, thats everywhere you go. I hear that in every city that has a large transplant population, the locals blame the transplants for all the problems their city is having and they think their city was so much better in the old days before the population boom. People always want to blame somebody else these days. Typical of Americans these days.. not surprised. The bias and stupidity of people on this site is shocking but not surprising.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Not that is 100 percent perfect. No place is. However consistently spewing their acid tongued opinions which get met with facts. The only hostility comes from those who no longer are here. Not only does the state get attacked but so does the positive posters.

If it truly was the way some paint it we'd all be living in huts eating rice and oranges.

It is an insult to many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or