Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

When an employer has the need for a specific set of requirements and are paying a good salary for the employee with the specific set of requirements they are not going to go for 2nd best. That want what they need.

Same with government jobs. Specificity is the key. I u got it you could be considered. If you dont have it dont bother to apply.

If salaries are not sufficient for an individual they need to go to where the salaries are more in line with their needs.

A cow milking machine system technician is not going to find a job doing that in NYC, but may find it in Brooksville FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I notice a lot, and the flip side is also true...glass half full types who think Florida is a "one size fit's all" type of state...

Jobs pop-up here and there, but not a lot and many are way too specialized or have requirements beyond what most may have skills or education in, also it's often hard to relocate people for those jobs once the salaries are brought up.

Also my neighbor who works in a STEM, field has a ton of experience and Electrical Engineering Degree, he told he me tried getting a job in Aerospace/Turbines and was not even considered, though he was local. He said the job dictated years of experience in the industry, he worked in a different industry and was rejected, not even called for an interview. Though his skills and education were applicable and he had plenty of applicable experience and etc, it did not mean anything due to not working in the industry prior. So now he drives 100 miles round trip a day instead of landing a job that would have meant a 20 mile/day commute.

Have a look at one local Government job near me that I saw on the TV the other day, be sure to check out the requirements, then look at the salary range.

Royal Palm Beach, FL - Official Website

Just doing a basic search online, you can see many fields in the state that pay very low salaries even if you see jobs that require the STEM education and skills required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Those who have lived in Florida and don't now, may have a different perspective from those who lived there now. And how do you know that all 19 million love living in Florida ?

Lot of the SR citizens I met in Florida hate everything about the state and compare that FL doesn't compare to NYC or Boston or DC or Philly its quite amusing. I love Jewish and Italian grandmothers love them

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Plenty of people work for peanuts and lease their luxury cars to fit the level of pretentious they desire to be accepted by their peers...
Since Florida is defined by the people that live there, the above statement says it all.

Quote:
Salaries in South Florida in general are low in relation to the high COL, even compared to the Northeast or California for that matter. A STEM graduate for example would be better off careerwise and salary to move to someplace else if career then salary mattered.

Salaries in the rest of the state tend do be even worse.

Not sure where your drawing your data from, but unless your in the exception which is not common, many are working for less than they could make elsewhere and also paying an equally high price to live here, rent, car insurance and etc.

The people you see here who live the life, tend to have come from someplace else with the $, they did not earn it here, or they work in one of the lucrative industries here and there are a handful or work for the county, fire rescue...PBC Fire Rescue, where the median salary is over $90K/year and some people make upwards of $120K/year + $10K in overtime. You won't see that too often in the private sector here.

Plenty of people work for peanuts and lease their luxury cars to fit the level of pretentious they desire to be accepted by their peers...
The median wage in the state is about 47k a year. If u want 100k plus a year go into fire rescue or whatever else pays it.

495 posts, read 611,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
South Florida does have a lot of good Jewish Deli/semi Kosher restaurants. I love visiting family members in Pembroke Pines, Coral Gables and Boca Raton. I love the South Beach nightlife but I don't think I would ever move to South Florida to live full time. Florida is the best place to vacation thou in the winter. I will be in Tampa and Miami in a month for the holidays. Happy Hanukkah.
Same to you and your family!

Yes I agree it is a great place to visit but not sure if I would want it to be my year-round home but I know many natives who have lived in Florida for 30+ years and love living in Florida and I respect them as well.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Lot of the SR citizens I met in Florida hate everything about the state and compare that FL doesn't compare to NYC or Boston or DC or Philly its quite amusing. I love Jewish and Italian grandmothers love them
Anyone who tries to compare any place in FL with NYC, Boston, DC, Phil. PA needs to sit back and study some history. They hate the state but stay here. Real smart.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Anyone who tries to compare any place in FL with NYC, Boston, DC, Phil. PA needs to sit back and study some history. They hate the state but stay here. Real smart.
They move to Florida because the cost of living is cheaper and its warmer year round man.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
When an employer has the need for a specific set of requirements and are paying a good salary for the employee with the specific set of requirements they are not going to go for 2nd best. That want what they need.

Same with government jobs. Specificity is the key. I u got it you could be considered. If you dont have it dont bother to apply.

If salaries are not sufficient for an individual they need to go to where the salaries are more in line with their needs.

A cow milking machine system technician is not going to find a job doing that in NYC, but may find it in Brooksville FL.
It cost an employer plenty to relocate someone here and Florida is not known as relocation friendly state for most open jobs, my firm rarely relocates people unless they are management level and many won't do it because they are not willing to take the hit from the Northeast in trade for the Flip Flop lifestyle, and plenty look at is as career suicide.

That's right, some people have to leave here due to the fact that salaries are low and jobs are rare, yet one person can move where the market is hot and job hop and advance their career/salary in 3 years where it may take 10 or 20 to progress in Florida. In many sectors or specialties, Florida is not one of those states...never has and probably never will be. Reason I tell people on here to do their homework prior to getting those stars in your eyes after a vacation to Orlando or Miami...odds are your going to find it difficult unless your an exception or are fine with making major sacrifices and forgo a 401K since you'll be living paycheck to paycheck paying high rent, car insurance and etc here trying to make a go of it.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
They move to Florida because the cost of living is cheaper
Outside of South Florida that is true, but it does not apply to well here and don't forget the golden rule, salaries are often all relative, sure you can get that job in Ocala at the plant, but it will not pay a union salary or offer similar benefits.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
It cost an employer plenty to relocate someone here and Florida is not known as relocation friendly state for most open jobs, my firm rarely relocates people unless they are management level and many won't do it because they are not willing to take the hit from the Northeast in trade for the Flip Flop lifestyle, and plenty look at is as career suicide.

That's right, some people have to leave here due to the fact that salaries are low and jobs are rare, yet one person can move where the market is hot and job hop and advance their career/salary in 3 years where it may take 10 or 20 to progress in Florida. In many sectors or specialties, Florida is not one of those states...never has and probably never will be. Reason I tell people on here to do their homework prior to getting those stars in your eyes after a vacation to Orlando or Miami...odds are your going to find it difficult unless your an exception or are fine with making major sacrifices and forgo a 401K since you'll be living paycheck to paycheck paying high rent, car insurance and etc here trying to make a go of it.
Lot of the problems with South Florida I see is the wealthy people made their money in other countries or in the Northeast and use Florida as a safe haven to avoid paying high taxes.. Florida has no state tax and other crazy laws thats why a lot of criminals like OJ Simpson moved here and lot of sex offenders move to Florida and most professional athletes move to Florida. I love Florida but its part of their wacky culture. Lot wealthy people I met in Palm Beach County and in Miami Beach were wealthy internationals especially Latinos from South America and wealthy bankers and doctors often Jewish and Italian from NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida