Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Well, nothing wrong with people who move because they don't like an area. I have a problem with those that complain, but don't do anything about it though. However, considering you spend so much time on the Florida forum, makes me think there is more to the story, some bitterness. It's similar to a bad relationship. If you departed on normal terms, you just move on and don't look back, especially not with hatred. However, if you are always checking their Facebook and complaining about him/her to your friends, it means there is more to the story lol.
I just enjoy posting on the Florida forums. I was in Florida when I first discovered C-D. I don't hate Florida and look forward to vacationing there fairly soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I never wanted to move to Florida to begin with, especially the Tampa Bay area. I know plenty of folks in Florida and others who moved away that don't like the place. It doesn't have many options I want. That is why I left the first chance I got.
Then why did you move if you never wanted to? Someone forced you? I know people in Seattle(I lived there), Chicago( I have relatives there), NYC( I lived there and went to school there) who all want or thinking of moving away. Americans constantly move for better opportunities. Most don't go back to a "forum" near them to spew their guts and hate on a given place though.

Knowing people who don't like FL proves nothing. There's many more that like the state. What are the options you wanted?

For my lifestyle FL is a good fit.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:01 AM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
Quote:
You're dreaming lol. Good luck on that.

Median Household Income in SF: $73,802
Median Household Income in Boca: $70,067
Median Household Income in Fort Lauderdale: $50,191

If you ever land a job in SF, I know you will take back your thoughts when you go apartment hunting lol. My buddy works at Dreamworks and earns low $100k's. His apartment is $3,400 for a 700 sq ft apartment with not even granite counter tops or anything luxurious.

Oh and pretty much all apartment developments charge between $175-$400 for a parking space. If you decide to sell your car, it will be a hard pill to swallow earning 6 figures, yet still having to ride MUNI with the crazy mentally unstable people with literally crap soiled pants. Don't get me wrong, SF is a beautiful and amazing city, but too many of you guys in Florida keep thinking you will be able to live a more luxurious life here because of higher wages and every time it never pans out that way because you don't take the cost of living serious.
My friend from back home moved out to SF. Late 30s. Never married (too immature to hold a relationship for more than a few months). Makes well over 100k. Has to live with 5 roommates in a crappy old row house. Can't afford a car. Yeah awesome town and all but no thanks. Tampa is ten times less appealing to me than SF but at least I can afford a nice life for my family here.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:04 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Florida is a great place to retire, not a great place to get a job in most fields. The exception is health care.. I have been offered over 10 jobs in every city in Florida but i am moving to Nashville, TN instead. Florida is a great state to vacation not a great place to live year round, I wouldn't mind getting a condo in Miami Beach thou and renting it out and using it as a vacation home.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
My friend from back home moved out to SF. Late 30s. Never married (too immature to hold a relationship for more than a few months). Makes well over 100k. Has to live with 5 roommates in a crappy old row house. Can't afford a car. Yeah awesome town and all but no thanks. Tampa is ten times less appealing to me than SF but at least I can afford a nice life for my family here.
This is very common, that is why there are more dogs here than children lol. I'm moving back to my house in Orlando for the same reason. I still don't have plans to get married and have children in the near future, but I want to start establishing my life in the area I would want to start a family. It just isn't practical in San Francisco, even if I earned $200k.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
At least from a political standpoint, Florida is a total mess!

I've never seen a state where voting is so screwed up and where people actually work against their own interests so actively, and I have spent a LOT of time in the state (and lived there for a little while).

Other than the weather and no state income taxes, and some amazing beaches, there's not a lot to love.
In your humble opinion. Voting according to YOUR political perspectives aren't necessarily "screwed up", or against the interests of the voters. IN fact, seems to me it's those voting choices made by some that have our country presently spiraling into the mess it is now in. We don't all like living in a nanny state where "big guv" decides what is best for us, because after all, the citizenry is "too stupid" to know what's good for them.

Good, you don't like Florida. Perhaps you'll spare us your presence in the state. Too many people here already.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
This is very common, that is why there are more dogs here than children lol. I'm moving back to my house in Orlando for the same reason. I still don't have plans to get married and have children in the near future, but I want to start establishing my life in the area I would want to start a family. It just isn't practical in San Francisco, even if I earned $200k.
San Fran is the most expensive city in the country to live in and on top of that California taxes suck. To live well in SF you need to make at least 300k a year if you have a family, 150-200k without a family. Its ridiculously expensive, even more than NYC, thats why people people don't move to SF. A ranch home about 1500/2000 sq feet near Palo Alto near Stanford sells for over 2 millions.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I did the cramped living in overpriced quarters thing in my 20s up in DC. It was fun. Really fun. Awesome, even. I had every amenity within walking distance or either a short drive or ride on the metro. But the DC area is not practical for starting a family and wanting a house; at least, not if you want something bigger than say 1000 sq. ft. that isn't 100 years old in a bad part of town. Too stressful up there, too. Not an ideal quality of life. Used to be, long ago. I have a couple friends down here who moved from up there too. We all say the same thing - Tampa is.... ok.... but it's easy living. Yeah it's not as exciting as the big cities, and the topography is about as much fun as watching paint dry, but for now it'll do.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
The problem here is elitists. For some reason they dont realize that society has always needed a "fries with that" subset. That used to be handled by young teens and college students but people have let themselves go to pot to a point they dont even want to try anymore. They prefer to be minimum wage for life people.

Then there is the subset of average working people. Bank tellers, mechanics, bus drivers, construction workers of all kinds, painters, bakers, house inspectors, accountants.....
The elitists put those people into the same subset of minimum wage for life workers.

It used to be when you took a job you wanted to excel at it, make more money at it and get promoted up the chain of command. That is totally still possible. If you have ambition. Nobody is going to walk up to you on the street and hand it to you. It needs to be learned.

The defect of the elitists is that they firmly believe that everybody works for minimum wage or in tourism in FL. They cant get off that bus.

Yes, lots of folks live paycheck to paycheck. They are keeping their heads above water in a horrible economy.

The median income in the US is $53k. The median income in FL is $47k. Not much disparity there.

Only about 20 percent of American households even reach the six-figure income mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Pretty much most of the country? Isn't 76% most of the country? If CNN says most people live paycheck to paycheck, you want me to believe the above places are far better than FL? You should be b*tching about where the jobs have gone in general in this country instead of spewing your usual crapola about FL.

Yes, all the jobs in FL are "saying hello to a customer asking for fries and pulling orders on Amazon. Better yet, it's all tourism

Florida Economy at a Glance

What are you smoking? I want some..

Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida is a great place to retire, not a great place to get a job in most fields. The exception is health care.. I have been offered over 10 jobs in every city in Florida but i am moving to Nashville, TN instead. Florida is a great state to vacation not a great place to live year round, I wouldn't mind getting a condo in Miami Beach thou and renting it out and using it as a vacation home.
There are some good IT jobs down here too, if... IF... you have the necessary skills. And I'm not talking helpdesk or sys admin crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida