U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 PM

17,879 posts, read 17,721,406 times

Advertisements

LOL why do you keep bringing up $250k jobs in the Bay Area... I promise you the vast, vast, VAST majority of people don't make anywhere near that. Don't you get tired of writing the same crap over and over. Just move already, good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Don't worry Obamacare will soon change that, already happening...that industry was living high on the hog for ages and it won't last forever at that rate.
LOL, you can't wait to move to the most liberal place in America, yet you are a Obamacare hating right winger... wow, you won't last long here. Obamacare by the way has been a big boom for the insurance industry, I wish it were universal healthcare, but in reality it just mandates everybody buy private health insurance.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,844,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Of course not all employers are going to be fair, but it comes down to supply/demand. If it's important position they cannot afford to have it unfilled for a long period of time. My point is every place has its pros and cons. There is no paradise. Here in California, workers have a lot of rights, benefits are good and so is pay generally speaking. However, the cost of living outweighs the majority of the population. On top of that if you do land a good job, you will be taxed like crazy. If you make slightly over $50k, which is ver little here, you will have to pay all your normal taxes PLUS almost 10% in state income tax. People think the grass is always greener on the other side, but in reality people should be more positive about their situation if they are earning say $40k or higher in Florida.
Anyone that moved to the SF Bay Area for a job paying $50K obviously did not do their homework...I would not even suggest moving to LA or San Diego for any less than $100K.

California is not much worst than states in the Northeast in terms of the Tax Burden, New York State is actually worse and CT, NJ, MD and PA re just behind, and it's still hard to lure people in my profession to Florida from those states in the Northeast.

California’s tax burden is only the nation’s second highest - The Technology Chronicles

$40K in South Florida is nothing to be "postitive" about...unless you love Ramen Noodles...

Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
LOL why do you keep bringing up $250k jobs in the Bay Area... I promise you the vast, vast, VAST majority of people don't make anywhere near that. Don't you get tired of writing the same crap over and over. Just move already, good luck
If you work in STEM, you will make more than the median you keep harping about, why are you living in denial?

I take it you moved there for a job paying $50K without reading between the lines? Doesn't surprise me since your on here saying $40K in Florida is a great salary, move back to Boca on that and see how well you can do...

Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
If you work in STEM, you will make more than the median you keep harping about, why are you living in denial?

I take it you moved there for a job paying $50K without reading between the lines? Doesn't surprise me since your on here saying $40K in Florida is a great salary, move back to Boca on that and see how well you can do...
The cost of living in San Francisco is roughly 60% higher than South Florida and even then, that is with making huge sacrifices when it comes to rent. You keep making it sound like $250k jobs are easy to and are everywhere in SF, which isn't true. The average person living in South Florida lives easier than the average person in San Francisco. You can't compare the median income in South Florida to the very top tech employees, lol it's ridiculous, but go ahead and try. I own my condo in SF free and clear, but what happens is I have a bunch of friends from Florida wanting to move to SF. Many of which are making between $50-$65k and then they are saying I could make close to $80k doing the same job in SF, so I have to explain to them that $50-65k in South Florida is a good wage, while $80k you better be willing to have room mates and lose your jacuzzi and pool. So many people don't understand the cost of living is so much higher here, so unless you are making around 60% more, you're going to take a big hit in the ease of living. If you want to experience urban living and are fine with having room mates, then go for it, but when someone tells me the quality of my life will be so much better and I'll be able to save so much more going from $60k in South Florida to $80k in San Francisco, it's ridiculous. Even $80k is above the median income in SF. How many circles do we need to take? lol, just move here thinking you'll be earning $250k off the bat, I wish you luck!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,890,207 times
This BMW 335xi dude keeps schooling you cats on the facts and he is making you guys look like a fool. I think its funny.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
LOL, you can't wait to move to the most liberal place in America, yet you are a Obamacare hating right winger... wow, you won't last long here. Obamacare by the way has been a big boom for the insurance industry, I wish it were universal healthcare, but in reality it just mandates everybody buy private health insurance.
Actually I voted for Obama so I guess I proved you wrong there, not that I agreed with the ACA at all. Give it time, the ACA just kicked in not too long ago, after this upcoming Flu season which is forecasted to be a bad one, the strain on many providers will be high, and the Medical Device Tax is still an issue that won't go away, what are the big companies doing? Well they are relocating their HQ to Ireland like Medtronic to lower their Tax Burden, with that goes lot's of jobs that would otherwise remain here and tax dollars, good for Ireland, bad for the US.

Wait till everyone see's the exchange rates next year and figure out how they will be able to pay for it. My neighbor has company sponsored health insurance, and he pay's $1300/month for his wife and 2 kids and the plan is nothing great, he use to pay $600 at his old employer 3 years ago.

Maybe you should move back to Florida, if I only knew you were interested I would have rented you my home, but I don't think you'll qualify for $3500/month with $40K Gross, so sorry...even my other rental home here is way over your budget...

Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Actually I voted for Obama so I guess I proved you wrong there, not that I agreed with the ACA at all. Give it time, the ACA just kicked in not too long ago, after this upcoming Flu season which is forecasted to be a bad one, the strain on many providers will be high, and the Medical Device Tax is still an issue that won't go away, what are the big companies doing? Well they are relocating their HQ to Ireland like Medtronic to lower their Tax Burden, with that goes lot's of jobs that would otherwise remain here and tax dollars, good for Ireland, bad for the US.

Wait till everyone see's the exchange rates next year and figure out how they will be able to pay for it. My neighbor has company sponsored health insurance, and he pay's $1300/month for his wife and 2 kids and the plan is nothing great, he use to pay $600 at his old employer 3 years ago.

Maybe you should move back to Florida, if I only knew you were interested I would have rented you my home, but I don't think you'll qualify for $3500/month with $40K Gross, so sorry...even my other rental home here is way over your budget...
You are so blind lol.

You need to compare apples to apples.

You don't compare a person making $65k in Florida to someone making $250k in SF.

You don't compare a typical salary for Florida ($40k) to a $3,500/month home in Florida.

Is this difficult to understand?

I can't make it any more clear than this.

Median Household Income in Fort Lauderdale: $4,182/month ($50,191)
Average 2 bedroom Rent in Fort Lauderdale: $1,528/month

Median Household Income in San Francisco: $6,084/month ($73,012)
Average 2 bedroom Rent in San Francisco: $3,859/month

Please don't make me have to do the math for you. It's clear for the average household, which city is easier to survive. Not to mention, the cost of living in San Francisco is higher in every single category besides utilities and you need to trim almost 10% off for state income taxes.

And if you think I make $40k, well good for you. I'm not here to share my tax returns lol. It shows how desperate you are at trying to make a point you know nothing about. And I do plan to move back to Florida. I own a 1/1 bedroom condo in San Francisco (current value $500k) and a lakefront 4/4 SFR in Orlando. I've enjoyed my time in San Francisco, but I'm ready to have my pool and space again. My GF's family's house in San Francisco is worth $1.6 million and it would be equivalent to a $150k-$200k house in most parts of Florida. I'm starting to get old (27) so it's time to start settling down. I have neighbors that make over six figures, yet their family of 5 lives in a 2 bedroom and that's the norm here. Whatever, you know better than me, right (even though I lived throughout Florida and currently live in SF)... you can move here with hopes the average job pays $250k here.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The cost of living in San Francisco is roughly 60% higher than South Florida and even then, that is with making huge sacrifices when it comes to rent. You keep making it sound like $250k jobs are easy to and are everywhere in SF, which isn't true. The average person living in South Florida lives easier than the average person in San Francisco. You can't compare the median income in South Florida to the very top tech employees, lol it's ridiculous, but go ahead and try. I own my condo in SF free and clear, but what happens is I have a bunch of friends from Florida wanting to move to SF. Many of which are making between $50-$65k and then they are saying I could make close to $80k doing the same job in SF, so I have to explain to them that $50-65k in South Florida is a good wage, while $80k you better be willing to have room mates and lose your jacuzzi and pool. So many people don't understand the cost of living is so much higher here, so unless you are making around 60% more, you're going to take a big hit in the ease of living. If you want to experience urban living and are fine with having room mates, then go for it, but when someone tells me the quality of my life will be so much better and I'll be able to save so much more going from $60k in South Florida to $80k in San Francisco, it's ridiculous. Even $80k is above the median income in SF. How many circles do we need to take? lol, just move here thinking you'll be earning $250k off the bat, I wish you luck!
You keep yapping about SF, like who doesn't know it's expensive besides the village idiot who moved there for $50K?

SF is a city SF Bay Area is a large area and there are areas where someone making the average STEM wage could easily match their prospects living here which are low to none, in terms of renting, now buying, sure you can get more bank for your buck in South Florida without a doubt, not denying that. Thing is home ownership is not a big desire with twenty somethings, many do not even care or think about it. Not one of my staff that is a millennial, owns a home here yet.

"60% higher than South Florida" no way...not even close. Even if you were to make $125K in San Jose, it would be better than taking a job here for $50K. Not sure what field you work in but I'm only talking STEM jobs, obviously your not in that field since you complain too much. Again I'm not talking "average", what part of that do you not understand?

You own your condo in SF is owned "free and clear", yet you sound like someone who is bitter about the COL there and thinks $50K here is great, that is just odd.

Again, $50-$65K in South Florida is NOT a good wage on average, you are living in a dream world of 1999, those days are over. Might be stellar for a recent grad age 22 with zero experience, just try moving to Boca and renting a nice apartment on that income.

Median household income in San Jose is around $91K, which is way higher than SF at $79K, so when you say SF you are not surely talking about the greater area, eventhough it's expensive it's not even close to SF in general. Average rent in SF is $3400/month, San Jose is around $2600. Sure you probably get nothing fancy for those prices either and no W/D in the unit, so sure $1500 here will get you top of the line, but good luck paying for that on $50K/year gross.

Again, I'm not moving to SF City Limits, but I could have without a probelm...obviously you do not read what I say so I'm not going to repeat myself...not my job.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:

"60% higher than South Florida" no way...not even close. Even if you were to make $125K in San Jose, it would be better than taking a job here for $50K.
Sigh... 60% higher than South Florida, and you are using $50k.

Let's do this together... $50,000 (x) 1.6 = $80,000

For some reason you think $50k to $125k is less than a 60% increase, you pretty much double downed on my statement lol... you need to have a good foundation in math if you want to survive in the tech industry here THX Of course $125k in San Jose is better than $50k in Fort Lauderdale, but a person earning $50k in Fort Lauderdale is not going to get a pay upgrade to $125k in San Jose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or