U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,845,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That is certain. Life in FL is what u make for yourself. If u arent creative you are screwed.
You can be creative and still be screwed here, doesn't matter. Working in the right field here, luck and who you know is how you get ahead often. Well again I take that back, creativity works wonders if your good at playing office politics and brown nosing to get promotions or raises here...but that applies all over now doesn't it? Florida is known as a Good'ol Boy state with rampant cronyism in the workplace, so maybe it applies quite well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,209,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Most of the people who claim to be natives do not have much history in the state compared to someone who is a native of the Northeast, I know people who have family history in PA back to 1600's, yet they are not parading around with bumper stickers saying "PA Native" or "PAGrown" in a lame attempt to combat the influx of people moving in from NY/NJ which is happening more so now than it was when I lived there.

People I met who are natives here, tend to be born here but their parents were from elsewhere, Northeast often. Occasionally you might meet someone who can trace back to their Great Grandfather within the state, but most of Florida was not populated or had much population till the 1930's.
Actually FL didnt get much notice until after WWII when returning military people came because they liked it when they were stationed here. Sure, there are people with blood lines that goes way back anywhere you go. If somebody wants to display anything attesting their support for anything, nobody should care.

Even if a guy is 30 years old and born here he is a native. He may or may not have grown up in an area where pride for the country life was practiced, but he is still entitled to be native.

Those of us from up north should have learned a long time ago that FL cant be bent to emulate other places. People need to adjust to FL and not want FL to adjust to them.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,209,160 times
Quote:
You can be creative and still be screwed here, doesn't matter. Working in the right field here, luck and who you know is how you get ahead often. Well again I take that back, creativity works wonders if your good at playing office politics and brown nosing to get promotions or raises here...but that applies all over now doesn't it? Florida is known as a Good'ol Boy state with rampant cronyism in the workplace, so maybe it applies quite well?
If your goal is the "right field" you may be in the wrong place. Yep. a good ole boy state. It pays to know people with the juice here. Its not much different than NYC where you need to be the son of a member to join certain unions. The good ole boys look at northerners as carpet baggers, sneaks, thieves and con artists with no moral fiber. Good ole boys dont stab each other in the back.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:17 AM

6,560 posts, read 10,629,997 times
Quote:
Actually FL didnt get much notice until after WWII when returning military people came because they liked it when they were stationed here. Sure, there are people with blood lines that goes way back anywhere you go.

According to historical monographs that I have read, the same is true of the Seminole Wars, though obviously on a much smaller scale, probably also the Civil War.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:18 AM

734 posts, read 729,249 times
Quote:
Your attitude is pretty terrible (and short sighted). Do you really think people like that don't exist everywhere? lol...

Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Actually FL didnt get much notice until after WWII when returning military people came because they liked it when they were stationed here. Sure, there are people with blood lines that goes way back anywhere you go. If somebody wants to display anything attesting their support for anything, nobody should care.

Even if a guy is 30 years old and born here he is a native. He may or may not have grown up in an area where pride for the country life was practiced, but he is still entitled to be native.

Those of us from up north should have learned a long time ago that FL cant be bent to emulate other places. People need to adjust to FL and not want FL to adjust to them.
Yes but you have more to push when if your bloodline goes back 300 years in the same state which in the Northeast is quite common. So why don't you see this in other states as rampant as it is here? Especially the Xenophobic areas very closed to outsiders?

FL adjusted quite nicely to accommodate many, NY's mainly...solution majority rules and the influx of many dilutes their way of life.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If your goal is the "right field" you may be in the wrong place. Yep. a good ole boy state. It pays to know people with the juice here. Its not much different than NYC where you need to be the son of a member to join certain unions. The good ole boys look at northerners as carpet baggers, sneaks, thieves and con artists with no moral fiber. Good ole boys dont stab each other in the back.
You can be in the "wrong place" no matter where you go, that's why I always tell people who express interest in moving here to do their homework and ask plenty of questions first. I worked in Manhattan and was not a member of any "Unions" so that does not apply to all.

The "Good ol'boys" don't have to be from Florida, they can be from anywhere, it's just a mentality that exists here in the workplace with some companies, I would say it's more prevalent here than the Northeast based on my experience and the opinions I heard from others, not over this forum but in face to face conversations.

Oh and they will "stab you in the back" if your not in the club, but sometimes even club members get this treatment but with a nicer severance package.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Your attitude is pretty terrible (and short sighted). Do you really think people like that don't exist everywhere? lol...
Really? Thanks for the compliment, must be why I gain so many new accounts daily after face to face meetings and have to prove myself later with no smoke and mirror tactics.

Do people exist like this everywhere? Hmm, you raise a good point though I have not been everywhere and neither have you, have to say I have been to a lot of places, all over the US and outside and based on my experiences and the experiences of hundreds of people I know and met, some of which I have developed good social and business relationships with and many have provided me with their views on things here. From their view the Good'ol Boy Club is alive and well in this state, sure it does exist elsewhere but not nearly on the level.

I work with a lot of small and big businesses here, mainly for Florida it's small companies, but I am often shocked when I see the credentials of some people in management, many are not qualified either by education or work experience, it's not till you get to know them that you find out that it's often cronyism or even more so, severe nepotism that got them where they are. Much of these views come from friends and business partners who come from different industries here as well, they all pretty much agree that it's rampant here in a lot of sectors.

Sure this phenomenon can happen anywhere, but having worked in the Northeast prior, I rarely saw this outside of very small family businesses. You tend to see more try-hards in the Northeast who attempt to brown nose to get ahead, often they are among company and some managers are more interested in awarding promotions based on job performance and skills they have to offer, how well they did on a project and etc.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,920,770 times
Florida is an okay state. I feel very fortunate to have grown up there. It's a very unique state with unique cultures, weather, and geography. But there are a ton of negatives too. Best state? Doubt it. If it was, I'd be there now. I have no interest in ever moving back.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM

734 posts, read 729,249 times
Quote:
Really? Thanks for the compliment, must be why I gain so many new accounts daily after face to face meetings and have to prove myself later with no smoke and mirror tactics.

Do people exist like this everywhere? Hmm, you raise a good point though I have not been everywhere and neither have you, have to say I have been to a lot of places, all over the US and outside and based on my experiences and the experiences of hundreds of people I know and met, some of which I have developed good social and business relationships with and many have provided me with their views on things here. From their view the Good'ol Boy Club is alive and well in this state, sure it does exist elsewhere but not nearly on the level.
Sure. We'll take your hyperbole and accept it as fact.

Please, enlighten us as to where it's "not on FL's level," and be sure to present hard evidence to support your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or