U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 07:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,853,754 times

Advertisements

[quote=Spring Hillian;37736551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

If u judge people on their accents or geographical origination points you've got problems.
Not my thoughts, but what I heard from some Florida "Natives", one told me a story where some Baby Boomer from NY was being interviewed on the local news because there was a 4 foot gator in the lake behind her home and she felt threatened by it and called the HOA to have it removed, which they did.

I agreed with him 100% and laughed because it's not just the accent but how some people act here. Same woman probably let's her 5 pound Teacup Yorkie walk around unleashed near the waterline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,853,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Knows he has failed to prove his point and dodges the request for factual evidence (because there is none), and can't stop crying foul in a feeble attempt to change the subject.
How do you know I'm a he?

"Factual Evidence" let's call in Dayle Hinman folks!

I already proved my point, but your hungry for more info I know you were compelled to reply. I wish I could satisfy your appetite for information on Florida and the negatives, but I must be going, I'm flying to Milan for Christmas to spend the holiday with some relatives and have to start packing.

Buon Natale...Merry Christmas...Happy Hanukkah...Happy Holidays..meh to be politically correct.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,252,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Would those "ppl" be from NY? As much as I see the Florida related stuff, I have to admit I see plenty of NY related paraphernalia as well.

Yes.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:53 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
Quote:
South Florida is another borough of NY, can't speak for the rest of Florida. The further you go inland the more that changes though.
yes. there is a very high concentration of former NY'ers in S. FL. I wonder if that is the highest concentration anywhere.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 AM

[quote=THX 1138;37738940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Not my thoughts, but what I heard from some Florida "Natives", one told me a story where some Baby Boomer from NY was being interviewed on the local news because there was a 4 foot gator in the lake behind her home and she felt threatened by it and called the HOA to have it removed, which they did.

I agreed with him 100% and laughed because it's not just the accent but how some people act here. Same woman probably let's her 5 pound Teacup Yorkie walk around unleashed near the waterline.
Probably because there arent alligators roaming around NY. Surely if u took a Floridian on the NYC subway they would be concerned at all the rats there.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Would those "ppl" be from NY? As much as I see the Florida related stuff, I have to admit I see plenty of NY related paraphernalia as well.
Ive got a BROOKLYN novelty plate on the front of my truck, a small NY Yankees decal and a decal memorializing 9-11. Also an American flag.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:34 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,897,848 times
People are stupid everywhere, not just in Florida. Our country had been going down the toilet for a long time. I mean, the fact that more people can name the Kardashians but can't name half of the Supreme Court Justices is very, very sad. Not long ago, I told someone I was gazing at the moon the previous evening and she thought the moon was a planet. I gave up trying to explain it's a satellite of our planet Earth and that other planets also have moons. After all, how can the moon be a satellite when it doesn't even have any TV channels?

Anyone who has watched a late night talk show knows that people in California can also be really ignorant. I used to think the people stopped on the street were paid actors, but they're not. One man was asked in what country one would see the Panama Canal and he couldn't answer Jay Leno. Some people couldn't even name 2 of the Founding Fathers of our country. New England has over and over again been listed as the area with the smartest people, but that's because of all the Ivy League colleges, but a lot of them move to Florida when they retire or buy second homes here. The wages in most states in the South are very low, so they don't often attract highly educated people who desire competitive salaries. Still, there are plenty of smart people in the Deep South. Some of the stereotypes do exist, but idiots live all over the United States.

Florida has been ranked somewhere in the middle in most surveys regarding education and its rank has improved over the past several years. In fact, many of Florida's high schools are ranked the best in the country.

[URL="http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/florida?int=9abb08"]SOURCE[/URL]

Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
yes. there is a very high concentration of former NY'ers in S. FL. I wonder if that is the highest concentration anywhere.

Central FL is right behind now.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Ive got a BROOKLYN novelty plate on the front of my truck, a small NY Yankees decal and a decal memorializing 9-11. Also an American flag.

LOL, and so does everyone else from NY

Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Central FL is right behind now.
For as long as I can remember, FL was always the choice when leaving NYC whether it was retirement or relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or