U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2015, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Tampa
734 posts, read 732,070 times
Reputation: 759

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Chris, I must be nuts. 9 degrees here this morning. Awesome ice fishing day. No shortage of people out enjoying the cooler temps.
Nor a shortage of people barricading themselves indoors. It's not like single digit temps are ideal by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2015, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,532,328 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Chris, I must be nuts. 9 degrees here this morning. Awesome ice fishing day. No shortage of people out enjoying the cooler temps.
Tried ice fishing way back when, when I even used to like winter, and it was like torture. Regular fishing is great though.

Can't ride my bikes, also intolerable torture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2015, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,532,328 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Nor a shortage of people barricading themselves indoors. It's not like single digit temps are ideal by any stretch of the imagination.
Agreed. My bikes are screaming to be ridden, not going to be peddling those until April. Sucks. Just not a winter person anymore, it's a complete downer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 AM
 
15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Reputation: 18359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
It's 13 here now. Not sure anyone likes that. If they do, they are from Antarctica, or nuts.
Eeeek! I could not take that at all. Plus, I also like to ride my bike and just be outside in general. Need nice weather for that.

ComSense- I do miss Asheville sometimes. But if I have to pick a place to live, I choose Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2015, 10:44 AM
 
Location: N.H Gods Country
2,359 posts, read 4,490,234 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Tried ice fishing way back when, when I even used to like winter, and it was like torture. Regular fishing is great though.

Can't ride my bikes, also intolerable torture...
That sounds awful. You definetly belong somewhere down south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,532,328 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Eeeek! I could not take that at all. Plus, I also like to ride my bike and just be outside in general. Need nice weather for that.

ComSense- I do miss Asheville sometimes. But if I have to pick a place to live, I choose Florida.
I just upgraded some parts on my bike yesterday. I just brought it back down to the basement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2015, 12:03 PM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,902,440 times
Reputation: 7899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
why do ppl hate cold weather so much?

I know I sound like a broken record (anyone who remembers that expression is as old as I am. lol) but it really depends on a person's hobbies, family situation and also his finances. Some people fly to a ski resort for the weekend. When I sold furniture in Naples, it wasn't uncommon to meet couples with vacation homes in both Aspen and Florida.

Some people pray for snow, especially if they enjoy skiing and snowboarding. When I was younger and my body didn't cry out for warmth, I had a lot of fun on the slopes. After I hurt my back, I used my vacation weeks to go south and veg-out on the beach. Then I moved to FL in 1994, although I have many regrets. However, as I've said many times, there's no perfect place on Earth or as Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say "It's always something. If it ain't one thing, it's another."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,400 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Reputation: 28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
FLORIDA:


WEST VIRGINIA

CALIFORNIA
The photo labeled FLORIDA came from this site:

Kayak Fish and Explore The Everglades with Rich: Fishing the Everglades, Winds or not

The photographer is from Florida, but he took the pic while visiting NC:

"I had ordered new kayaks for the upcoming season from Native watercraft in Greenboro North Carolina and decided to take a ride and go and pick up my new boats there the other week. I decided to head to the western part of the state first to visit a friend where we took a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It just so happens that it was their peak foliage season and the tree colors were awesome to see in the area and mountains, quite a change of scenery from the Everglades lowlands."

Not_liking_FL pegged it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,532,328 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The photo labeled FLORIDA came from this site:

Kayak Fish and Explore The Everglades with Rich: Fishing the Everglades, Winds or not

The photographer is from Florida, but he took the pic while visiting NC:

"I had ordered new kayaks for the upcoming season from Native watercraft in Greenboro North Carolina and decided to take a ride and go and pick up my new boats there the other week. I decided to head to the western part of the state first to visit a friend where we took a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It just so happens that it was their peak foliage season and the tree colors were awesome to see in the area and mountains, quite a change of scenery from the Everglades lowlands."

Not_liking_FL pegged it.
Come on, all of us from FL have seen the Everglades mountains! I used to hike them on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Reputation: 7704
I beg to differ. Texas is far better than Florida, for many reasons. And I still don't think Texas is close to the best. (That would be Minnesota!)

Texas has:

Better weather. Actual seasons in north Texas, it snows at least enough to change the scenery. Dryer. Also, tornadoes are exciting, much more exciting than hurricanes. Summers are scorchers but there's an actual fall to cool you off. In Florida, you're still sweating your ass off in October, at least in S. Florida.

Better drivers and nicer people. Still a few jerks but nothing like down in Miami.

Texas drawl is more pleasant than a Miami accent. Florida's identity is too muddled by transplants and immigrants. Many Mexicans in Texans speak English and those born here usually have a southern accent too. And with that accent, southern hospitality. You don't find much southern hospitality in most of FL anymore. Texas has a more "community" spirit than Florida, which is more dog eat dog world.

Not the infestation of lizards and bugs that you find in Florida. Okay, still bugs, but way less lizards. Only seen two this year. Back in Miami I'd see about 30 a week. I have a lizard phobia so screw that!

Better food. Never had a good biscuit until moving to Texas and my friend baked some homemade ones. Actually this might be a tie, because Florida does have better seafood.

Where does Florida win? Beaches. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top