U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,911,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I beg to differ. Texas is far better than Florida, for many reasons. And I still don't think Texas is close to the best. (That would be Minnesota!)

Texas has:

Better weather. Actual seasons in north Texas, it snows at least enough to change the scenery. Dryer. Also, tornadoes are exciting, much more exciting than hurricanes. Summers are scorchers but there's an actual fall to cool you off. In Florida, you're still sweating your ass off in October, at least in S. Florida.

Better drivers and nicer people. Still a few jerks but nothing like down in Miami.

Texas drawl is more pleasant than a Miami accent. Florida's identity is too muddled by transplants and immigrants. Many Mexicans in Texans speak English and those born here usually have a southern accent too. And with that accent, southern hospitality. You don't find much southern hospitality in most of FL anymore. Texas has a more "community" spirit than Florida, which is more dog eat dog world.

Not the infestation of lizards and bugs that you find in Florida. Okay, still bugs, but way less lizards. Only seen two this year. Back in Miami I'd see about 30 a week. I have a lizard phobia so screw that!

Better food. Never had a good biscuit until moving to Texas and my friend baked some homemade ones. Actually this might be a tie, because Florida does have better seafood.

Where does Florida win? Beaches. That's about it.
I personally like Texas more than Florida so I agree with you and most of your points but its all subjective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 06:50 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,252,914 times
Best state in "the" America?

lol.

Overall, I'd say states like NC and Virginia

Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 AM

163 posts, read 107,591 times
Florida no pizza, Chinese food or bagels.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
Where do u live? Spring Hill has at least 20 non-chain Pizzerias. I know of one Chinese restaurant that is Cantonese and is exactly how I remember Chinese food. No carrots in their fried rice! We have one good bagel place now since the owner of the other one (NY Gourmet Bagels) passed away a few months ago. Bagels & Beyond is now the primo place here. Clearwater has Clearwater Bagels on SR 60. Tampa has some excellent pizza as does Orlando, Pembroke Pines and Melbourne and I say that by personal experience.

I dont know how u can make a statement that covers the entire state when u dont know about it.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
EVERY state and city has pizza, chinese food and bagels.

What are you talking about?

Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,911,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
EVERY state and city has pizza, chinese food and bagels.

What are you talking about?
Florida is not known for Chinese food but it has a lot of Italian people so it doesn't have a lot of pizza points and bagels are big with Northeastern transplants so Florida has always had a lot of bagel shops. What are you talking about

Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida is not known for Chinese food but it has a lot of Italian people so it doesn't have a lot of pizza points and bagels are big with Northeastern transplants so Florida has always had a lot of bagel shops. What are you talking about

OH, I get it! FL doesnt have the chinese food, pizza and bagels that are up to NY standards. Silly me, I should have known.

I wonder what its like to live in a place where the people that move there just assimilate and dont complain about how FL needs to be more like XYZ? Oh, I remember, in NC. Man that was nice.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:18 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I personally like Texas more than Florida so I agree with you and most of your points but its all subjective
Some things are more subjective, like weather. Some people DO like year round heat so, good on them! Though I contend most people like seasonal variety. One common complaint from native born and raised Floridianas is how they wish they had a fall. It's literally one of the driving forces for Floridians to the Carolinas. (Literally one of the reasons my family almost moved to the NC mountains. 4 seasons and a nice place to buy a farm, though my cousin in law got pregnant and they had to scrap the idea for health insurance reasons)

I do wish Florida still had more southern hospitality. That's another complaint I heard from my friend who's from Georgia, when she lived in Miami. The niceness and friendliness of the south is lost the further down you go. Florida still has lots of the negatives of the south, however. The poverty, the crime, the racism, the trigger happy morons. Just not the positives as much.

Traffic and mosquitoes aren't really subjective though, those things are OBJECTIVELY bad Even the hardcorest Miami lovers admit the drivers are horrible. Mix of old snowbirds, immigrants who brought their country's driving habits with them, cocky young people and aggressive folks from all over.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:20 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,508,827 times
Quote:
Tampa has one of the best pizza places I've ever been to.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Tampa has one of the best pizza places I've ever been to.

Right, but apparently you have to be born in a certain place to know what good bagels are, what good pizza is, and what good Chinese food is. And "their" definition of good is really good, if you're not from this particular place, then you dont know what good is. Didn't you get the memo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or