Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Florida is the best state in America for a whole range of things:

Winter destinations
Shopping outlets
Nightlife
Cleanliness of the air
Stress level
Business-friendliness of the state
Beach access (with warm water for swimming in)

It isn't the best state for all tastes, but no state earns this title

But clearly unmatched in any other US state is South Beach Miami
-on the beach with 24/7/365 after dusk nightlife
Warm year-round weather
no place in the US has this combination except Miami Beach. Not California (ocean water not warm for swimming and nightlife not 24/7) , not Hawaii (nightlife not 24/7), not New York (not with beach and warm weather), not New Jersey (not with warm weather year-round and not 24/7 nightlife)
The stress level is very high for the working class minions who make up a large percentage of the population. If it's so business friendly were are the businesses? You clearly have not spent much time in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 PM

734 posts, read 920,690 times
There's lots of businesses. Unfortunately, many of them are call centers or similarly low paying outfits.

"Business friendly" = above-average tax incentives for companies to open up a branch/distribution center/hq in FL.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
My father in law is like this. He just recently said he would never vote yes for any tax, whether it be temp or permanent. He lives in Clearwater.
That's exactly the type of mentality in the elderly that I'm talking about. That complete and utter lack of progressive attitude that stifles meaningful growth and change.

They're here to live out their final years, not invest in the future. Their future is the cemetery.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
What convinced me was number 15, "A Floridian invented America's first sunscreen, Coppertone".

This was a very poorly thought out article. Does the Huff employ middle school kids to write their filler pieces these days? It would seem so.

AES328, Maybe they feel they have been taxed enough over the course of life and figure those making the children should be paying a greater share, ya know to invest in their future. Everyone will eventually die, no one knows what's around the corner, they could outlast us both.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
That's exactly the type of mentality in the elderly that I'm talking about. That complete and utter lack of progressive attitude that stifles meaningful growth and change.

They're here to live out their final years, not invest in the future. Their future is the cemetery.
Some yes, for sure. But others like me fall somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't vote yes on just any tax, unless I see a true path to betterment for the area. I am not one for handing over money to be wasted. As long as it is reasonable and spent well, I would consider it. I love Mayor Buckhorn's vision and work he has done for Tampa.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
AES328, Maybe they feel they have been taxed enough over the course of life and figure those making the children should be paying a greater share, ya know to invest in their future.
That's a preposterous notion. If they along with others vote something down, nobody pays for it because it didn't pass into law.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That report is for May 2014. If you are going to go month by month, why don't you look at October 2014?
California State Controller's Office : Bottom Line: What the Numbers Mean | Receipts | Disbursements

Old 12-02-2014, 03:26 AM

9,365 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I'd prefer a more open minded group of elders who realize things like a viable public transportation infrastructure and other things (medical mj, perhaps)... you know... things that can potentially benefit others even though they themselves wouldn't necessarily... are good for the future of the area that surrounds their little closed off retirement villages. You're right - the elderly shouldn't care about those things. That's why I will eagerly await their departure.
You, like everybody else, already have what you deserve at this stage - nothing more and nothing less -, your view of elderly people is quite narrow-minded and you yourself will get there much more quickly than you think. Thirty-forty years, even a lifetime, is the twinkling of an eye.

And yet we, in spite of ourselves, accomplish a lot together over generations, in due time.

I would and do vote for increases in property, sales and user taxes in exchange for public transportation, municipal debt issues for schools, low-cost housing and courthouses, etc., and even medical marijuana, despite the childish way in which the proposal was presented.

I'll be your mirror (reflect who you are)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
The stress level is very high for the working class minions who make up a large percentage of the population. If it's so business friendly where are the businesses? You clearly have not spent much time in the state.
Life has been stressful for working class minions since the year one on every inch of the globe. You clearly have not spent much time on earth.

There are plenty of businesses in Florida. Just for example, why don't you do some research on supply chain management.

Better yet, set one up yourself - contributing to the solution, instead of complaining of a problem in your own mind -, and take advantage of what Florida has to offer. You could start off by simply buying a truck. Then, in due time ...

Last edited by bale002; 12-02-2014 at 03:40 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You, like everybody else, already have what you deserve at this stage - nothing more and nothing less -, your view of elderly people is quite narrow-minded and you yourself will get there much more quickly than you think. Thirty-forty years, even a lifetime, is the twinkling of an eye.

And yet we, in spite of ourselves, accomplish a lot together over generations, in due time.

I would and do vote for increases in property, sales and user taxes in exchange for public transportation, municipal debt issues for schools, low-cost housing and courthouses, etc., and even medical marijuana, despite the childish way in which the proposal was presented.
Oh, so you yourself voted for those things. I guess we can all relax then. bale002 voted for them. Everything's ok.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

I'll be your mirror (reflect who you are)

Life has been stressful for working class minions since the year one on every inch of the globe. You clearly have not spent much time on earth.

There are plenty of businesses in Florida. Just for example, why don't you do some research on supply chain management.

Better yet, set one up yourself - contributing to the solution, instead of complaining of a problem in your own mind -, and take advantage of what Florida has to offer. You could start off by simply buying a truck. Then, in due time ...
I'm not a working class minion, but Florida is overflowing with them. The poster I was responding to was describing life in Florida from a vacation point of view not living there full time. Florida is severely lacking in quality jobs, this has been proven on C-D many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida