Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM

34 posts, read 34,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Having lived most of my life in CA and now owning property in FL, I can say they are simply different. CA is not better or worse. As to humidity, I had peeling lips and a sore throat most of my life due to the dry air and I lived in OC near the beach. Now with humidity that is virtually gone execpt a little in the Winter.Plus when doing hard work, I do sweat for sure BUT my muscles like it far more.

CA is a beautiful State and so is FL. Both have good points and bad.
For me the clincher?

eating dinner in florida, good odds a roach will appear somewhere in the cupboards. No matter how clean you are. Disgusting.

CA you dont really have that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:34 PM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroooo View Post
For me the clincher?

eating dinner in florida, good odds a roach will appear somewhere in the cupboards. No matter how clean you are. Disgusting.

Hasn't happened once for me. You should probably clean once in a while, and stop living in a crackhouse.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
That in no way proves that Florida is any better than California. My point still stands.
I must have missed something. I never said Florida was better than Calif or anywhere else. You talked about how awful it is to be here and called the Florida Everglades "puke in a handbag." The best state will always be one's state of mind.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
For me the clincher?

Where the heck do you go out to eat? I've met people who smoke roaches, but never ate one.

It's true that we have palmetto bugs, but that's part of life in the South. So what? The largest stink bug I ever saw in my life was in Las Vegas. In fact, the nastiest mosquitoes are in Alaska.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 PM

104 posts, read 115,540 times
Quote:
Eating dinner in Florida, good odds a roach will appear somewhere in the cupboards. No matter how clean you are. Disgusting.
Perhaps you should clean up your kitchen sometime?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:06 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Had one show up frozen in a ice cube in a glass of ice tea in a very popular restaurant on John's Pass once. Management was very nice about it and didn't charge our group of around ten for anything. Was very apologetic. They said that they were having a problem with the pest control company they were using. That is a very common insect there.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
For me the clincher?

Strange the roaches I found in one rental in CA must have been on vacation from FL.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I don't think Florida is the best state in America. Compared to California, Florida is a real let-down of a state. I mean, it's south, so you have those muggy southern summers. Since you're down there, you have those giant helicopter-sized mosquitoes that fly around you. The everglades look like puke in a handbag, and the everglade mountains look like West Virginia, and gross/not tropical. Southern California has beautiful icy mountains, and desert mountains. Oh yeah, California has a desert, so it has dry heat, not the nasty Florida heat. Plus, California has better waves and such. The only thing Florida has against California is affordability in terms of living. People just go to Florida because 50% of the population lives on the very eastern side of the U.S., and it's just more affordable to travel to Florida. plus florida is too conservative. California is always going to be more expensive, and that's why people don't go, although they know they would like to.
From a biologist's point of view, the Everglades are a biodiversity hotspot; from your point of view, they are puke in a handbag. Fortunately you are neither knowledgeable on the subject, nor an expert.

FL has higher marine biodiversity than CA(3rd longest barrier coral reef in the word), better coastal living/longer coast and does not need mountains to impress. Many people move to FL for the sea ambiance or to be closer to warmer seas and sub/tropical nature. Many people in CA generally want to move to the PNW or so I hear and read in other forums.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I must have missed something. I never said Florida was better than Calif or anywhere else. You talked about how awful it is to be here and called the Florida Everglades "puke in a handbag." The best state will always be one's state of mind.
Beautifully said, Nancy, I agree.

And I feel really sorry for anyone whose state of mind considers the Everglades "puke in a handbag."

Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 PM

703 posts, read 870,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
From a biologist's point of view, the Everglades are a biodiversity hotspot; from your point of view, they are puke in a handbag. Fortunately you are neither knowledgeable on the subject, nor an expert.

FL has higher marine biodiversity than CA(3rd longest barrier coral reef in the word), better coastal living/longer coast and does not need mountains to impress. Many people move to FL for the sea ambiance or to be closer to warmer seas and sub/tropical nature. Many people in CA generally want to move to the PNW or so I hear and read in other forums.
I already knew about FL's high biodiversity rate. I don't want to hear that I'm know knowledgeable or an expert. I'm working on a doctorate right now, which is a higher degree than you'll probably ever attain in anything, and I will tell you that I could almost do a census of whether or not CA is better and I guarantee you those who have been to both will tell you CA is a much better state. You do need the environment to impress. People just settle for Florida because of cost, and don't tell me otherwise because it's either not true, or those people have never been to CA. The west coast has always been better than the eastern coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida