U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,862,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
hydroplaining imo is exactly the same as hitting black ice, once it starts hold on to you knickers and don't hit the brake.. your screwed.
I'd say black ice is way worse. At least with hydroplaning you can take your foot off the accelerator and regain control (just most bad drivers don't know that). Black ice??? Once you've hit that and started sliding one way or the other you're in trouble....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 PM

6,985 posts, read 15,452,455 times
Quote:
hydroplaining imo is exactly the same as hitting black ice, once it starts hold on to you knickers and don't hit the brake.. your screwed.
No doubt, your right. I remember as a kid we would sort of "skate" for a short distance on that lol.

Anyway, I was just trying to show that, for every argument someone could bring up about cold, you have just as many odd ball weather conditions that come along with hot weather.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,862,162 times
Quote:
Myself however who is not content (and others like me ) wake up, know we're going to see the snow, but just ask ourselves why , why have the snow when we can wake up to a beach..
The difference of course being that you'll have your heat there later this year and you don't even have to move to get it.... Central and South Florida you will NEVER see the leaves change colors (other than brown) and you will NEVER see snow.....

I realize the snow part seems fine to you right now, but......

Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM

672 posts, read 687,152 times
Thumbs up Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Actually the "Amen!!!!" belongs here....

I think you're actually being nice because I think they're referring to only maybe 20% of the country.....

Seeing these references to "Up North" here as though anything NOT Florida is "Up North"..... Well to make sure I'm on topic let me relay this tidbit.... In the Shenedoah Valley area of Virginia in which I live (which is "Up North" from Florida by the way if we're being technical here) we have received almost exactly 1..... That's right, count it..... 1 inch of snow thus far.... Temps got down to the low teens last night for the first time this year but it's supposed to get up to the mid 60s for the first few days of next week.....

Oh whoah is me!!!!!

Again there are plenty of places that aren't getting blasted with snow and brutal cold right now (though brutal cold is relative just like scorching heat, right?? ). My pipes aren't frozen, we aren't snowed in and life is moving along just peachy.

Anyway I've encountered a few things that battle some of the "cold weather ailments" that people seem to wish to beat the drum on as if there is no way around it.....

Dry air??? It's called a humidifier.

Dry skin??? It's called moisturizer.
Enjoy the 60s! That is what it is now in Naples. Lovely, lovely temperatures. Not too hot, not too "cold".

Anybody NOT like the 60s? Temperatures, not the decade.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM

6,985 posts, read 15,452,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Enjoy the 60s! That is what it is now in Naples. Lovely, lovely temperatures. Not too hot, not too "cold".

for the few days (maybe week or two) we will have moderate temps like this it is wonderful. its the other bazillion days I hate.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 PM

672 posts, read 687,152 times
Default I am just thrilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
for the few days (maybe week or two) we will have moderate temps like this it is wonderful. its the other bazillion days I hate.
that finally it's not HOT here. I just have to savor these 2 days of "cool" temps before it goes back to being what it always is. HOT, HOTTER, HOTTEST.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM

497 posts, read 1,395,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
1. end of summer brings hurricane to the south, how many people are with out power, lose life, lose money from work etc.

2. How many accidents occur during the rainy season (again in the summer months)

3. How many people die of heat exhaustion each year

I am sure I am forgetting more things that occur during the summer months in America that cause lose of life, accidents and hardships. Again your being a bit elementary in your approach to this topic

I should mention I am from NYC and also lived on Long Island for a time. You are overly exaggerating the situation to say the least. At least in terms of NY, I can't speak for some extreme location like Northern parts of New York State, Dakota or Wyoming.
I can tell you, a lot more people die in winter storms than they do in hurricanes. Hurricanes, at least in the USA, don't kill too many people any more since we have several days warning before they hit. Also, the worst part of hurricanes is only in an isolated area...usually right by the eyewall where it hits land. This is only a very small area. With snow storms the area of major damage can be hundreds even thousands of miles. And there is no evacuating to escape them unless you move to the south

Rain doesn't cause nearly the amount of accidents that snow and ice do. NYC and LI have relatively mild winters compared to the New England states. Although it can happen NYC rarely goes below zero. We go below zero for several weeks at a time here in Maine. This kind of weather is dangerous. The human skin freezes in a matter of minutes in those temps. It takes several hours of exposure to extreme heat to cause problems. Plus, as long as you keep hydrated you will be OK in the heat. It's fact that winter cold is a lot more dangerous than summer weather.

Last edited by Petertherock; 01-04-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I'd say black ice is way worse. At least with hydroplaning you can take your foot off the accelerator and regain control (just most bad drivers don't know that). Black ice??? Once you've hit that and started sliding one way or the other you're in trouble....
The only thing I will say is that in a lot of ways I would rather drive in snow than rain. People at least slow down in snow (well most of the time anyway) But in rain, which can be just as slippery, people don't slow down at all. So it's not the rain that makes it bad...it's bad drivers. And don't even get me started on how these tractor trailer drivers are so bad...A blinding snowstorm where the speed limits have been reduced to 40MPH and they are flying by me at 65. If I was the troopers I would yank the licenses of these tractor trailer drivers.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post

At this point I would love the 50s! Heck, I would take the 40s now!! We haven't even seen 20 in a couple days but at least this weekend we will be in the 40s and we'll be ready to break out the shorts!

But 60s are good but I would rather have 70s. Perfect weather for me is about 75-80.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:34 PM

548 posts, read 389,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I can tell you, a lot more people die in winter storms than they do in hurricanes. Hurricanes, at least in the USA, don't kill too many people any more since we have several days warning before they hit. Also, the worst part of hurricanes is only in an isolated area...usually right by the eyewall where it hits land. This is only a very small area. With snow storms the area of major damage can be hundreds even thousands of miles. And there is no evacuating to escape them unless you move to the south

Rain doesn't cause nearly the amount of accidents that snow and ice do. NYC and LI have relatively mild winters compared to the New England states. Although it can happen NYC rarely goes below zero. We go below zero for several weeks at a time here in Maine. This kind of weather is dangerous. The human skin freezes in a matter of minutes in those temps. It takes several hours of exposure to extreme heat to cause problems. Plus, as long as you keep hydrated you will be OK in the heat. It's fact that winter cold is a lot more dangerous than summer weather.
Also, large parts of Florida go years or decades between hurricanes. From 1960-2004 no hurricanes directly hit Palm Beach County, a very heavily populated area of Florida. So the death toll from 1960-2004 was pretty much zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida