U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 AM
 
Location: America
6,985 posts, read 15,453,543 times
Reputation: 2067

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Rather then debating this why don't you just do a little research? Direct sunlight is almost a disinfectant, It completely kills TB.
your thick. There are hundreds of diseases that thrive in hot weather so your argument is sort of silly.

To argue that cold kills more than heat is also silly. Just do a Google search. In certain regions of the world heat wave deaths were astronomical. This discussion is a bit foolish, no on one is going to come up with anything useful in this thread. That is, unless you take a month or two out and really compile all the data, to show one way or the other. Other wise its just a bunch of opinions backed up by 5 minute google searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
 
1,572 posts, read 3,678,679 times
Reputation: 512
You yankees are full of crap, no offense. People get the colds and flu just the same as up north, down here in Florida.

I used to get the flu every year, but this year got a flu vaccine. All you have to be is a little more than a hermit, and you'll get the flu down here. I get colds occasionally, too. I've even got colds in the heat of spring or summer. The heat and humidity does not stop them. Our winters are also not that humid. You get lots of static electricity in the winter here.

Also, if you think the weather is great... try a summer monsoon in Florida. Driving is scary in those conditions. It's like a snowstorm but with water. That's why all the worthless snowbirds leave for the summer. I guess it's not quite a bad as snow but it's not like Florida is perfect weather. The summers are really hot. I survive because I'm used to it. If I'm outside for an extended period, I drink Gatorade or eat extra salt or electrolyte tablets and wear sunscreen every day. If you are overweight at all, you are screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,392,776 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
your thick. There are hundreds of diseases that thrive in hot weather so your argument is sort of silly.

To argue that cold kills more than heat is also silly. Just do a Google search. In certain regions of the world heat wave deaths were astronomical. This discussion is a bit foolish, no on one is going to come up with anything useful in this thread. That is, unless you take a month or two out and really compile all the data, to show one way or the other. Other wise its just a bunch of opinions backed up by 5 minute google searches.
Like your absolutely ludicrous remark, "Why is there so much disease in areas of Africa"? Talk about grasping for straws. We are talking about a modern country the US and not some third-world country where people die just from drinking the water. What do you think plain and simple, it it more dangerous in a snowy area or a sunny area? I won't debate you have a right to your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,392,776 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
You yankees are full of crap, no offense. People get the colds and flu just the same as up north, down here in Florida.

I used to get the flu every year, but this year got a flu vaccine. All you have to be is a little more than a hermit, and you'll get the flu down here. I get colds occasionally, too. I've even got colds in the heat of spring or summer. The heat and humidity does not stop them. Our winters are also not that humid. You get lots of static electricity in the winter here.

Also, if you think the weather is great... try a summer monsoon in Florida. Driving is scary in those conditions. It's like a snowstorm but with water. That's why all the worthless snowbirds leave for the summer. I guess it's not quite a bad as snow but it's not like Florida is perfect weather. The summers are really hot. I survive because I'm used to it. If I'm outside for an extended period, I drink Gatorade or eat extra salt or electrolyte tablets and wear sunscreen every day. If you are overweight at all, you are screwed.
I am sorry, I never get sick and I can't say that for when I lived in a cold climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
 
Location: FL
195 posts, read 1,041,312 times
Reputation: 131
Default Six of one...a half dozen of another...

I think it's all the same anywhere. You can get sick anywhere you go, I guess. My brother moved to Arizona from NJ three years ago and has gotten sick with brochitis every October (when it's still quite hot there) when he never really got sick in NJ. But then I tend to get brochitis right after Christmas without fail every year here in PA. So who know's?

I think this winter vs summer thread is really just about opinion (which is why the OP started it folks, just for opinion's sake) to argue about it is really rather pointless.

But then, that's just my opinion, too, I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 AM
 
Location: FL
195 posts, read 1,041,312 times
Reputation: 131
Default Hmmm...if I had to choose...

If I had to choose summer or winter I think I'd choose summer. I really hate having to wear seven layers of clothing to go to my mailbox. I hate that my daughter is sick and I have to take her out in sub zero weather to get her to the doctor. I hate that my hair and skin are horribly dry right now and my excema is the WORST in the winter. (Yikes!!)
But it's the dangerous conditions that snow and ice (and stupid people) cause that I hate the most. Last year we had family traveling into PA from NY and NJ for my son's baptism in February. They were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic because some yahoo trucker decided he was going to leave the snow and ice on the top of his rig and drive down I78. Well, the ice came loose and crashed through the windshield of a minivan, killing the driver and injuring everyone else in the car. After the accident was cleared and the traffic flow was restored, my sister-in-law was driving behind an SUV when snow and ice flew off the SUV and crashed into her windshield (she wasn't hurt, neither were the kids but her 92 year old gramma said her 'chest hurt' 'cause she got so scared). The car wasn't drivable and my hubby had to leave the party to go rescue his sister on the freeway. Thank God she didn't swerve off the road.

This year, during our last snow and ice storm here my Mom fell on the ice and fractured her knee. My hubby's back and knee are killing him from shoveling the side-walk and driveway (when you have an ice storm right after a snow storm, you can't use a snow blower to clear the snow, it's way too hard.) My neighbor lost his shed and part of his fence to an ice-laden tree that fell into his yard. There were fatal accidents everywhere during the last ice storm (because these damn ice storms always happen during rush hour). I have friends up in the poconos that lost power and tried everything to keep warm until the power came back on.
I myself almost lost it last week when snow came off of someone's car and almost hit my windshield on the parkway. I swerved into the next lane (which caused that person to swerve). Man, my heart was pounding all the way home after that. I had my two kids in the back seat and boy were we all lucky.

I don't know. I think I'd rather deal with summer than winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
 
Location: America
6,985 posts, read 15,453,543 times
Reputation: 2067
you made a statement which seemed to suggest that warm weather kills germs lol which I used the situation in certain parts of africa to prove this assumption was silly. By your thinking.... meh, never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Like your absolutely ludicrous remark, "Why is there so much disease in areas of Africa"? Talk about grasping for straws. We are talking about a modern country the US and not some third-world country where people die just from drinking the water. What do you think plain and simple, it it more dangerous in a snowy area or a sunny area? I won't debate you have a right to your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top