U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, because the barrage of evidence presented on this forum (and elsewhere) is refuted by your solitary post.
Keep on keeping on.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Isn't spamming the same thing a violation of TOS. This isn't the political forum, calm the F down! And keep it in one of your many threads.

Reporting this now
Spaming? I am not try to sell something. My posting is far from political. If anyone needs to calm down it would be you.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
A person in Florida making the average $12.83 gets more for their money than a person in New York making $12.83 Just a few items, in NY there is a high city and state income tax, electric rates are a lot higher in NY, about 8 months or heating costs, [costs more than FL A/C]
Absolutely.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
My wife and I worked and lived in Florida for over 40-years. We always made a very comfortable living and earned salaries comparable to those in other areas of the country. But, I can remember keeping track of salaries in my line of work and going back to the company a few times with salary surveys ... to justify upward adjustments.

IMO, the problem many employees (particularly young college students) face is that they go to work at a sub-industry level, hoping that increases will help them catch-up. But, of course, that doesn't happen, because the industry average also continues to increase. Others change jobs, hoping to catch-up, only to discover that the increase over their previous level, still doesn't get them up to where they should be.

Florida is no different than anywhere else, when it comes to good people who know and protect their value in the marketplace. But, those who simply expect 'the company' to take care of them, will likely find themselves 'a day late and a dollar short.'
Yes, JG. Your points are well taken. Your last paragraph says it all.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:20 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,521,332 times
Florida is a RTW state with a highly transient, service based economy. So, some jobs may have comparable salaries to the rest of the country, but those jobs are too much of a minority for the size of the population. Sustainability. The majority of FL jobs available to the people who move there are no-pay, no-bene service McJobs. If you come to FL from the NE corridor, you will be shocked at what passes for business and corporate culture. There is no matrix you can find/use that will say FL attracts the best and brightest in business and tech. If you love Florida, thats great. Good for you, you found your place, but saying the job culture is good is like saying come to Mexico for the skiing.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:26 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,844,785 times
Based on the data, yes...and keep in mind the most jobs do not pay a living wage the few high quality jobs that do pay better but often below what other markets will offer especially if your living in high COL South Florida, but even that is often relative you can see a job in Orlando that pay's less and requires a 4 year degree and 10 years of experience and a rap sheet of requirements a mile long.

It's also common here to see office jobs, admin assistant, exec. assistant and so on that require a 4 year degree and experience that may offer $12 to $15/hour. I know for a fact that within my firm, we have several who made more than that 15 years ago and a few did not even have college degrees at all.

The problem is most new job creation is weak on the salary aspect, many that made it through the storm of the downturn and held on to their jobs have saw little if any wage increase, maybe they were making $40K+ for a job that now will offer $25 to 30K and require more credentials?

I said it before and I will say it again, Florida suits certain professions, I would say Healthcare is #1, I know a several people who work in that sector, they are all not struggling one bit. Even a RN can live way beyond average with a typical income in South Florida and drive a Luxury car and have excellent cash flow.

Say you work for the County or local Gov., also very lucrative, Fire Rescue jobs within PB County pay insane amounts of salary and overtime. Often they can earn $15K/year in overtime.

Median Salary for PBFR is around $91K, which would be more than enough to survive on here and afford the lifestyle and then some.

Palm Beach County firefighters getting pay raise in 2014 - Sun Sentinel

Florida ranks 31st in the average weekly wage vs the rest of the country. Now for a state with the 4th largest population, quite a joke if you ask me.

County Employment and Wages in Florida ? Third Quarter 2013 : Southeast Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Florida also lags behind many other states in High Tech STEM related jobs, while the Space Coast is experiencing a turn around, it's probably never going to be what it was in the good ole days.

"Central Florida metro area job market is lowest-paying in country"

Central Florida low-wage workforce: Central Florida metro area job market is the lowest-paying in the country - Orlando Sentinel

Report: 64% of Florida job openings pay less than living wage | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

No Disney Fun for Orlando Workers as Poverty Nears 20% - Bloomberg

Report: Low-Wage Jobs Are Flooding Florida*|*Florida Center for Investigative Reporting

Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,844,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
My wife and I worked and lived in Florida for over 40-years. We always made a very comfortable living and earned salaries comparable to those in other areas of the country. But, I can remember keeping track of salaries in my line of work and going back to the company a few times with salary surveys ... to justify upward adjustments.

IMO, the problem many employees (particularly young college students) face is that they go to work at a sub-industry level, hoping that increases will help them catch-up. But, of course, that doesn't happen, because the industry average also continues to increase. Others change jobs, hoping to catch-up, only to discover that the increase over their previous level, still doesn't get them up to where they should be.

Florida is no different than anywhere else, when it comes to good people who know and protect their value in the marketplace. But, those who simply expect 'the company' to take care of them, will likely find themselves 'a day late and a dollar short.'
Your lucky or fortunate, there are a lot of lucky people here who lucked out finding a good job here and/or work in the right field. As I said in my post, some careers are lucrative here and some are not. Baby Boomers in general had it made or if you moved here back in the good ole days and could land a high paying job with no college degree or experience required. I know plenty here and elsewhere who are retiring in their 50's with quite a nice nest egg.

Case in point IBM who once was a big employer in Boca Raton, I know a couple, husband who is retired, wife still works but is nearing retirement, both lost their jobs at IBM when they pulled out of Boca but have not taken a hit afterwards, IBM took care of them. Back in the early 90's, the husband was making $85K/year, he was educated and had some experience, the wife was making $40K, she walked into the job with no experience and no education. Now in retrospect, $85K is around the median salary for an Engineer in Palm Beach County and but on average you will see new job postings with less than this and knowing several STEM related Engineers who are here and/or left, salaries in general are very flat and declined the past few years. That being said, there are people now who have 15 years or more experience who are barely hitting $85K here in the same field, due in fact there limited opportunity which also creates no competition between employers who needs high skilled workers, supply and demand 101.

Problems with incomes are hardest for those attempting to live in South Florida, where $12/hour just does not cut it anymore, reasons you see people up into their early 30's living with their parents or just have recently moved back in, they cannot afford housing with what typical unskilled jobs pay and do not have the same luck as their parents in landing jobs that they got 20 or 30 years ago with the same level of education and skillset...

Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 AM

434 posts, read 406,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The point of the post is to show that wages paid in FL for an average job is in line with the rest of the US.
No, they absolutely are not. At the bottom, yes there isn't much difference. But for everyone else, who actually busted their ass going to school and working hard to be successful, Florida pays absolute s*** in a lot of professions.

In my personal circle of friends, all of whom grew up here, finished college, started their careers here, realized the pay sucks and they moved somewhere else. It has happened several times in fact.

My old roommate here was a manager in medical billing. Pay here, $60k. His pay after transferring to Philly, over $100k.

Another friend was a structural engineer here. Pay, $75k. Pay in Denver doing the same exact work, over $100k.

Another friend was a transportation planner here. Pay, around $60k a year. His pay in DC started at $80 something, now 2 years later he's making over $100k.

My best friend was an in-house psychologist for a locally headquartered company and made $70k. He's in Boston now doing basically the same work for a different firm making well over $100k.

I myself work as a PM/Estimator for GCs and suppliers for large scale municipal projects (like water plants, power plants, reservoirs, etc). I also have structural design experience, civil design experience and experience actually building commercial and community projects as general superintendent. I have degrees in architecture and construction management. The job here I just quit, I was making just over $50k a year, busting my ass 60+hrs a week (worked out to less than $13 an hr if looked at as an hourly job, not salaried). And I had been there almost 3 years and long since "proven" myself. Bottom line profits were up literally 30% from when I started, and had taken it upon myself to completely revamp the firm's estimating processes.

Anyways, my current girlfriend, her mother is HR Director for a headhunting firm in Alaska that places people in O&G jobs in Alaska, and govt contracting jobs all over the place. My gf sent her my resume without my knowledge, and they came to me a few months ago with an array of leads on jobs starting around $100k. In DC, Seattle, Chicago and Alaska. Their point to me was, you're selling yourself short by staying in Florida.

So now we're moving to Alaska after the holidays. My job is starting me at $87k with paid company vehicle, 12 free airline vouchers a year (they pay for your work flights, these are above that, so I can fly back to FL for free). I also will be working just a half schedule, two weeks on, two weeks off (140hrs a month is what's in my contract). I could have worked full time for much more pay, but we have a baby, so I don't want to be working constantly right now. Plus I'm burned out from being worked like a dog for so many years in Florida (haven't had a vacation since 2011. My last employer heavily frowned on the management level people actually taking the days they're given. They expected you to cash them in at Christmas when the company shuts down for the week).

Old 12-07-2014, 10:06 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,881 times
Anybody that believes those are the real U/E rates deserves a low-paying job. And if those are average jobs, I'd like to see your definition of below average jobs ...

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Based on the data, yes...and keep in mind the most jobs do not pay a living wage the few high quality jobs that do pay better but often below what other markets will offer especially if your living in high COL South Florida, but even that is often relative you can see a job in Orlando that pay's less and requires a 4 year degree and 10 years of experience and a rap sheet of requirements a mile long.

It's also common here to see office jobs, admin assistant, exec. assistant and so on that require a 4 year degree and experience that may offer $12 to $15/hour. I know for a fact that within my firm, we have several who made more than that 15 years ago and a few did not even have college degrees at all.

The problem is most new job creation is weak on the salary aspect, many that made it through the storm of the downturn and held on to their jobs have saw little if any wage increase, maybe they were making $40K+ for a job that now will offer $25 to 30K and require more credentials?

I said it before and I will say it again, Florida suits certain professions, I would say Healthcare is #1, I know a several people who work in that sector, they are all not struggling one bit. Even a RN can live way beyond average with a typical income in South Florida and drive a Luxury car and have excellent cash flow.

Say you work for the County or local Gov., also very lucrative, Fire Rescue jobs within PB County pay insane amounts of salary and overtime. Often they can earn $15K/year in overtime.

Median Salary for PBFR is around $91K, which would be more than enough to survive on here and afford the lifestyle and then some.

Palm Beach County firefighters getting pay raise in 2014 - Sun Sentinel

Florida ranks 31st in the average weekly wage vs the rest of the country. Now for a state with the 4th largest population, quite a joke if you ask me.

County Employment and Wages in Florida ? Third Quarter 2013 : Southeast Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Florida also lags behind many other states in High Tech STEM related jobs, while the Space Coast is experiencing a turn around, it's probably never going to be what it was in the good ole days.

"Central Florida metro area job market is lowest-paying in country"

Central Florida low-wage workforce: Central Florida metro area job market is the lowest-paying in the country - Orlando Sentinel

Report: 64% of Florida job openings pay less than living wage | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

No Disney Fun for Orlando Workers as Poverty Nears 20% - Bloomberg

Report: Low-Wage Jobs Are Flooding Florida*|*Florida Center for Investigative Reporting
Finally, a poster who sees the reality of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or