U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 AM

88 posts, read 547,002 times

Advertisements

In terms of inconvenience? It seems to me that a visit to most big-box stores would mean a journey to Miami or Florida City. Maybe there's even less to do for teens? I'm not planning on a move, I'm just comparing the area to Sydney AU' northern beaches, which seems very similar - one road in and out, looking at two hours to get to Sydney itself and major retail chains, all suburbs close to the ocean, heavily embedded surf culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 2,728,867 times
I would not live in the Keys if you are into the surf culture. Except for the passing storm, the waves may reach such astounding heights as a foot. But I am talking more of Key West than the lower Keys. Of course, I am referring to the surf culture and not the diving culture which has the beautiful coral reefs or kayaking among the Keys which is very pretty.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,740,073 times
Marathon has the big box stores, grocery stores, etc, as does Key West. The remainder generally have local small stores, marinas, hotels, etc. we looked at buying a trailer on Islamarado and could get an RV for $15K, a trailer for about $25-30 K, but then you also have lot rental costs, etc.

COL is significantly higher since everything is trucked in, further, costs more in transportation. In addition, while the minimum wage is $8.05 now, it takes two jobs to make ends meet.

Unless you have an outside source of income, or are a professional, it is difficult. And if you are a professional contractor, you will end up driving US 1 from one end of the Keys to the other.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:09 AM

88 posts, read 547,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Marathon has the big box stores, grocery stores, etc, as does Key West. The remainder generally have local small stores, marinas, hotels, etc. we looked at buying a trailer on Islamarado and could get an RV for $15K, a trailer for about $25-30 K, but then you also have lot rental costs, etc.

COL is significantly higher since everything is trucked in, further, costs more in transportation. In addition, while the minimum wage is $8.05 now, it takes two jobs to make ends meet.

Unless you have an outside source of income, or are a professional, it is difficult. And if you are a professional contractor, you will end up driving US 1 from one end of the Keys to the other.
How bad is traffic, particularly if you live in Key West? With little surface area available to build extra lanes etc, it must be a nightmare during peak, especially Thanksgiving, Christmas etc.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 AM

13,573 posts, read 9,231,961 times
Pure heaven if ya like fishing for Mutton snapper and grouper.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,620,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeans View Post
In terms of inconvenience? It seems to me that a visit to most big-box stores would mean a journey to Miami or Florida City. Maybe there's even less to do for teens? I'm not planning on a move, I'm just comparing the area to Sydney AU' northern beaches, which seems very similar - one road in and out, looking at two hours to get to Sydney itself and major retail chains, all suburbs close to the ocean, heavily embedded surf culture.
Why are you comparing it to Sydney's Northern Beaches? You in Australia?

Yes, there's only 1 road going to down to the Keys from Florida City(it has been widened recently so passing is let's say acceptable now). Have not timed it from Key Largo down to Key West (it depends on traffic), maybe couple hrs driving? Marathon as others pointed out has some big stores and then Key West(which is a bit crazy but has unique culture).

I'm not aware of any surfing in the keys, very few beaches. The Keys are known for scuba diving(most reefs are 3-5 miles off shore so you need a boat. Wreck diving is probably one of the best in the world, Spiegel Grove, Vandenberg, Duane, Eagle, Bibb, Thunderbolt, Adolphus Bush are some of the known ones.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 AM

4,978 posts, read 7,267,061 times
There's no surf culture in the keys because there are no waves to surf.

Boating, fishing, scuba diving culture is there. Good luck

Old 12-08-2014, 09:54 AM

9,656 posts, read 6,957,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeans View Post
How bad is traffic, particularly if you live in Key West? With little surface area available to build extra lanes etc, it must be a nightmare during peak, especially Thanksgiving, Christmas etc.
Traffic can be pretty bad not only during the winter seasons, but also on holiday weekends, and it's not great on most weekends either. As you mentioned, most of the highway is two laned- although there are a couple passing lanes on the 18 mile stretch north of Key Largo- it can be difficult to pass on those too, sometimes, as the slowpokes on the road inevitably speed up to make it difficult to pass them on those stretches. There are many tourists out enjoying the spectacular beauty of the Keys, and you'll find any number of them traveling at about 10 MPH below the posted speed limit, I've seen some make sudden stops or drive erratically as they take pictures or look at something, so you have to watch for them too. And if there is an accident either on the stretch or on one of the bridges, that can snarl traffic for miles in both directions. There is no alternative route out of the Keys, with the exception of Card Sound Road ( with the toll bridge) out of Key Largo.

You also need to be very careful to watch the speed limits in the incorporated areas- Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon as those can be speed traps with the police in wait to stop those exceeding the limits ( except truckers, I've never seen them stop truckers for some reason). You have to be especially wary when you're approaching and in the Big Pine"Key Deer preservation area"- that's just south of the 7 mile bridge, and extends into the town of Big Pine Key ( I've always thought the deer would especially appreciate all the bars, motels, restaurants, condos and gas stations the folks built just for them there, LOL. There can be police in their cars waiting for the traveler who exceeds the speed limit even by just a little, residents there will tell you the local authorities regard exceeding the posted speed limit in the Key Deer Preservation area akin to stealing or other crimes- at least it seems that way, so one is wise to not exceed posted speed limits there- and they're lower at night, so be aware of that.

I used to have to drive from Miami to Key West, or sometimes to other destinations in the Keys for work sometimes, and I figured that one really needed a mindset, a determination to relax and enjoy that drive, if you're on a time crunch you will drive yourself nuts. I used to figure that the drive was one of the most beautiful and unique in the world, and many of my coworkers, and everyone else, would have killed to be able to include such a drive in their job descriptions. So I used to leave lots of time to get to my destination(s), smiled when I came across a slowpoke I couldn't get around, and pretended I was a tourist seeing all this beauty for the first time. And of course, I watched the speed limits in those speed trap areas.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM

It takes about 3 hours m/l from the end of the freeway to Key West. You can get behind someone pulling a slow trailer and plan on being there for a while. Just be aware of some of the 'I have been turning here for years and everyone knows it' types and the cops. Lots of locals and the sheriff's deputies.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:38 PM

Now if you want to visit Key West and don't want to drive (roads there are very narrow and parking is a PITA-hotels routinely charge $20 a day), there are a couple of options. First, take a flight into Miami or Lauderdale and catch a shuttle down. Alternately, fly into Fort Myers and catch the ferry. 3 1/2 hour boat ride, runs twice a day, roughly $140 depending on date, etc. you can rent a scooter or bike there and do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida