Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrnborne View Post
how open are the natives to outsiders?
Natives? Here?

Panama City Beach has a very small native resident population. The whole town pretty much goes into hibernation from October to May. Most people are most likely just passing through. Tourists from Alabama tend to be the majority around here.

The Panama City side of the bridge has a majority population of transients as well. The air force base folks only stay for three or four years, and the snow birds come and go regularly throughout the fall and winter months.

But never fear... While they may be few and far between, native Panama City residents are very friendly. Chances are though, you may not run into any, as most people around here are temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 8,922 times
ha. I think you'd be surprised how many natives there are. they just don't advertise. and most natives don't live on the beach side.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:51 AM

272 posts, read 1,510,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
The paper-mill smells carry on windy days and the closer you go to Pt. St Joe, I think. Some days it's invisible while others days, can't escape it.
I was under the impression that the paper mill in Port St. Joe was demolished in 2003. Not true??? Or maybe the smell comes from the Arizona Chemical on the outskirts of town? I've heard rumors that that place is likely to close down as well. Anyone have more info?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 AM

4 posts, read 16,332 times
Smile New to Panama City Beach

I moved to Panama City Beach two months ago for a job. I am interested in meeting new friends. I don't drink/party/do drugs. I'm quite spiritual, but not religious. I enjoy the beach, shopping and golf. Can anyone direct me to some good organizations/establishments or local groups where I might find some new people to connect with? Thanks a million!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,880 times
Hello everyone. It appears that a lot of folks are moving to Panama city. I too am looking to accept a job offer with the state as a child protection investigator. Can anyone tell me about the crime rate there (e.g. gangs etc.)?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,466 times
Default good locality either way

Though I'm not into partying or the burbs
Your uber lucky either way in my opinion, I went to the lower keys and fell absolutely in love with it!
and 3 weeks later I had to go back to ontario, (one of the crappier places in canada to live. )
Have a wonderful time in panama! I know I would! ^-^
Greygirl

I ended up getting something in PCB near the beach. It took 26 minutes to drive to my new office from the apartments, and it is located in an area that is pretty isolated from any beach-partiers wandering around. Plus I am within walking distance to nightlife, the beach, and shopping.

I looked at a couple of apartments in Lynn Haven, and they are all in the same 'isolated-suburby-country' type of area that I live in now. Great places to raise kids. Horrible places for a single man.

Six months from now, I will have to see if I made a good decision...[/quote]

Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,359 times
Default Transferring to bay CI

Are they still running a special?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM

209 posts, read 534,016 times
Considering that the original poster was posting in 2008, I doubt that same rent special is going on now.

As for the papermill... yes there is a papermill in Panama City. It's in Millville (yep, "mill" ville -- get it?!). It's just east of downtown PC, but not quite to Springfield. If you live in Lynn Haven, Cedar Grove, Springfield, or downtown PC, you'll occasionally smell the paper mill (or Arizona Chemical, which is right next door to the mill). If you live on the beach, you'll rarely smell the mill, but it DOES happen if the wind/atmosphere conditions are right.

There are lots of people who are native to PCB, or who have been there 20+ years who consider themselves native. Most are very friendly and welcoming of others, since that's what the whole area is based on (tourism). Yes, you get the grumpy people that complain about the snowbirds/bikers/spring breakers/tourists in general (take your pick), but those people will never be happy anyway, so discount them... lol.

I lived on both the west and the east ends of the beach in my 10+ years there, and rarely did I not feel safe. You, of course, have to be smart and not hang out at "candy corner" (the Dodge Chicken Store on 15th Street).

PCB is a good small town with some great amenities due to the tourist nature (more restaurants per capita, Gulf World, Pier Park and the name brand restaurants there, etc.). We moved away due to my husband's job, not because we disliked the area. We visit every chance we get... they are the world's most beautiful beaches, after all!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,537 times
PCB is an okay place to live. It is better now, more things are open year-round. You can drive down the strip at midnight in wintertime and see 3 or 4 cars driving on the strip. Most jobs are tourism-based. A lot of places employ college students from other countries during summer season, and reduce hours or lay-off year-round workers during the winter. The beaches are beautiful, but make sure you have a well-paying job before you move here. If you obtain a professional job, you will be alright. If you decide to come on a whim and work in food-service, good luck. I also miss the bigger city with more things to do than go to the beach. You have to go about 30 minutes to get on a real interstate. If you're from a small-town, you will prob love it. This place is also referred to as LA, as in Lower Alabama.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,537 times
If you move here, definitely live on the beach. Panama City has nothing to recommend except lots of traffic, and the stench from Arizona Chemical. you can occasionally smell it on the beach, maybe a few times a year. The west end is quieter, the east end is where the partiers and druggies hang out. My bf and I live near Pier Park, and it's great. Now I can go there for all my shopping, five minutes from my house. Buffalo Wild Wings is awesome! No major crime, just mostly crimes relating to drunk idiots. I do get bored during the wintertime, there is nothing to do. I rarely see anybody on my street during the wintertime. Either most are part-time residents or I guess they all hole up until it warms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida