U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,333 times

Advertisements

Paper mill smell ruins the area for me. I smell it at least twice a week if not more! the beach is beautiful but that is it! We are planning on moving somewhere else ASAP! Great place to visit but not live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,404 times
Default Is Panama City right for me?

I have the opportunity to move to Panama. I am a single female & accustomed to fun night clubs every weekend in a big city. I would be working on the beach & love being in nature. I would like to live near the beach so that I would have a short commute & be close to all the fun. I have heard Panama City is dead outside of spring break. Does anyone think I would be bored?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,404 times
Hello Justanotherday,
Did you just reply to me? I've never written on a message board so I"m not sure how it works. Anyway, if that was meant for me, thank you very much. So I take it that nightlife is very boring outside of spring break? I'm also a birdwatcher & scuba diver. I know PC would be amazing for birdwatching. And maybe I could work on getting more scuba certifications. Maybe I could spend a few weekends in Tally for some nightlife? Do people hang out at bars in the evenings? Are they locals or just tourists? Thank you!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
Stay away from this area.
We moved here for 1.5 year ago.
I held one bachelor, my wife a masters.
You can come here, find the beach romantic, cute Pier Park, day trips to Destin. -tourist shops and beach restaurants..
Well. it is nothing here to sustain a healthy living, for a young couple that is educated and want to do their best, at work, culturally and more.
We read some promising articles about this area, some BBC promises about good real estate market and future growth, and some more articles about growth. Don't buy it..

If you like to live a city life, you will not find it here.
If you like good friends, you might not find it here.
If you like a professional job environment, you will not find it here.
If you want to surround yourself with educated, cultural and "modern" people, you will not find it here.
If you want to pay half your paycheck in rent, you will find it here.
If you want to belong to a good Christian church, you will not find it here.
If you think for the most uneducated people living here, one job is enough, ... most people in the service industry has 2 jobs. No wonder for 9 dollar in hours. It seems its more eastern European income level, witch is really low.
If you want to meet all the redXXXXX from GA; AL; and MS, you will find them here and their trucks.
If you want to hear shooting during spring break, you will find it here.
If you want to read terrible news about killing, dysfunctional families, you will read it here.
If you want to see trailer parks and terrible neighborhoods, you will indeed find it here.
If you want to eat out, at expensive, terrible quality beach restaurants, you will find it here.
Thanks so much that we at least for Carrabbas.
If you loose your job, or want to change job - forget about it.

Friends: All people we meet, old and young, struggles to get friends here. Many people state that they lived here 3-5-8-10 years, without making friends. A big reason for that is that 50% of people here are tourists, another high % is connected to the military bases, for some reason..and, another huge portions are locals- in the sense, real rednecks, and a small group with regular people that we had no luck to meet. So many do not care to make true friendships, for they are gone in 1-4 years anyways, and have enough people at their military bases.

Jobs and Education:
There are hardly any professional jobs here. As a teacher, the county pays 0.2% lowest in the whole US. Other service jobs pay as they pay, tip and around 9 an hour for regular labor job. People are also lazy in a different way here. For us, its a total miss. - this ties the educated section above. If you want to live here, I am sure a civilian military related job is to prefer. It seems like 80% has lower income jobs, 5% are rich and a 15% of other people..

Rent:
The rent that is charged here, is boosted so much up, into a fantasy price. We are currently paying 1100 dollars for a crappy 1 bedroom apartment. All rental places here uses a "computer system that tells us the market price and demand", total bs. When we moved in, they claimed 7% availability. In fact, it is strange to see after 1 year, a doubling of amount of cars here - and still, lots of apartments that sits empty.
They also uses the real estate law "fair housing act" illegally, for you, not to be able to negotiate your rent. And for them. they claim they have their prices, firm and high, so all people that comes has the same price, - and of course, the computer system that all the renters use, is rigged and "chooses" the "prices" based on "the market".

Housing:
There is also an really high % of vacancy on houses. You can find houses that has been listed for years and not been sold.

Church and culture:
Churches and people here: We found it to be extremely superficial, fake and no interest what so ever to get to know you on a personal, real level. Sure you can come, attend, and "belong", not real - 1.5 year attending.
There is hardly any other culture here then Pier Park, its bars, restaurants, stores and of course, the movie theater and Dave and Busters.

We have also never met so many uneducated people, so many superficial and fake people, even in church.
It is also so humid here, that is hard to be outside most of the year for longer periods of time. Yes, it says 80 degrees, but feels like 120, every day.

Isolation:
This place is really isolated. You can not really travel anywhere. Orlando, 6 hours. Birmingham Alabama is several hours away. Sure you can pay for expensive airplane tickets from the small airport.
With no family, no friends, after trying to make friends here for 1.5 years, at in church, in sports, activity's, putting us out there.

We sitting back, after wasted 1.5 year here, paying sky high rent, living with no real friends, no real city, wasted 1.5 years with low income, insane rent to income ratio. With the lowest paying teacher jobs in US, 0.3 % lowest paying county in US. In fact, with our education, we will have a better income to rent ratio in San Francisco then here.

I just want to share this. Take it as you want. We are getting out of here, and will never return. This was not for us.

Last edited by henkoc; 02-12-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 08:02 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,564,809 times
Boy henkoc for your 1st post on these forums something must have upset your day big time! When you stated that you said that you are "living with no real friends" told the story.
Panama City Beach is one of the 6 fastest growing cities in Florida, growing at a rate of 5.5% a year, PCB must have something to offer!

Old 03-11-2016, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,218 times
Hi there,
I am looking at relocating to the area from Atlanta, GA. with my family. I have an 8-year-old and a 3-year-old. We have been looking at the Lynn Haven area instead of the beach side, because I heard it's better for raising a family. However, I'm a bit concerned about the schools. Where we live now the schools are phenomenal. However, it looks like the schools there aren't very highly rated. Can you give me more info? I'd truly appreciate it!!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:46 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,440,745 times
They'll really be upset when they discover that the thread was 6 years old when they answered it. It's 8 years old now, and I'm replying to a post from 2 years ago, so it's time for my bedtime as well.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,847,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Boy henkoc for your 1st post on these forums something must have upset your day big time! When you stated that you said that you are "living with no real friends" told the story.
Panama City Beach is one of the 6 fastest growing cities in Florida, growing at a rate of 5.5% a year, PCB must have something to offer!
This thread is very old, but no, it doesn't have anything to offer. It's a cesspool.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 314 times
Thinking about moving to pcb area in couple of years I’m a single girl in my late 40s with my 20 year old daughter she will be a vet tech I love the beach would like to live close to it but wondering about the water is it well water and septic I don’t like well water and don’t want a lot of septic problems I will be buying a place not renting and don’t want a big HOA fee any fees back helpful thank you

Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,564,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrisjud View Post
Thinking about moving to pcb area in couple of years Iím a single girl in my late 40s with my 20 year old daughter she will be a vet tech I love the beach would like to live close to it but wondering about the water is it well water and septic I donít like well water and donít want a lot of septic problems I will be buying a place not renting and donít want a big HOA fee any fees back helpful thank you
The tap water in PCB is from the Panama City Beach Water Department, not well. Most of the city is on sewer not septic tanks.
Most places in PCB will have an HOA fee, not all but most. Keep in mind your HOA fee offsets other expenses and money you normally would spend like utilities, cable, insurance, maintenance, reserves (rainy day fund). Generally if you look at buying a house the HOA fees will be pretty low as you would be responsible for the items the HOA fee would normally cover. If you consider a condo, the fees would be much higher as most of the normally expenses you would have to pay on a single family dwelling are covered in the fee.
The thing to go is come down for a week, look around, get your own ideas on if it would work or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or