Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM

295 posts, read 1,449,923 times

Advertisements

I am about to accept a job offer in the Panama City area, and was wondering how much of a risk it is living in the Panama City Beach area (about two blocks north of the beach / hotel strip). I know the area is a huge spring break hot spot, and am worried about vandalism, noise, crime, and traffic across the bridge to downtown Panama City (hwy 98).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM

43 posts, read 154,518 times
Hi gumbyfly,
I live in Lynn Haven, outside of PC and you are correct about the traffic over the bridge to get to downtown PC. Spring Break and all summer is bad traffic, you might want to consider living outside the hot spot and only go over the bridge when you want to rather than daily.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Living on the beach side of town would almost be prefferable if traffic is the ONLY down side. It is only 13 miles from the furthest apartment in PCB to the front door at my new office. Even if the drive took half an hour, it is still a shorter trip than I am making now by almost 20 minutes. I have also tried the suburb-thing, and it is miserable for a single guy (aka: lonely). I would much rather live closer to the beach, bars, and activity than work.

That being said, it is a combination of the traffic AND the other three things (noise, crime, and vandalism) that will sway me one way or the other. If there is a good chance that various drunken high school kids are going to be partying and fighting outside my apartment for eight straight months, I will look more closely at the Lynn Haven area. There are some nice apartments there (cheaper too).

Last edited by gumbyfly; 01-04-2008 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 10:07 AM

57 posts, read 330,813 times
Gumbyfly,
I can't imagine living at the beach. It would be too much noise for me. I worked out there for many years and drove about an hour one way to do it. I live in northern Bay county and love the quiet. I'm also single but not so much lonely (more of a hermit) so I don't really need to be near town. I can see why others might like it, though.
Lynn Haven is a nice town. If I lived in 'town', it would be there. You can jump on 390 to 98 and be at the beach in a very few minutes.
Good luck on the new job & Welcome to the county

Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks ScrappyNana.

I ended up getting something in PCB near the beach. It took 26 minutes to drive to my new office from the apartments, and it is located in an area that is pretty isolated from any beach-partiers wandering around. Plus I am within walking distance to nightlife, the beach, and shopping.

I looked at a couple of apartments in Lynn Haven, and they are all in the same 'isolated-suburby-country' type of area that I live in now. Great places to raise kids. Horrible places for a single man.

Six months from now, I will have to see if I made a good decision...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 PM

57 posts, read 330,813 times
Good to hear that you found something you're happy with. Hope you enjoy your new beach life I have to admit, we do have lovely beaches!

Last edited by ScrappyNana; 01-05-2008 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: 'cause I forgot how to spell~ hehe

Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Welcome to Bay County! Did you sign on one year lease? By the end of one year, you can make another move if desired. I'm in Jackson County and I would have choosen Bay near the beach over the country living. Good luck! Do keep us posted.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM

I will sign my lease either Tuesday or Wednesday this week (one year lease). I think someone mentioned in another thread about how PCB was being taken over by high-rise condos, and they were right on the money. You can only see the beach in a few select places anymore. To boot, a lot of the local community is built around the spring break crowd - with huge, guady signs. A lot of the area still looks like it is being cleaned up after the last hurricane.

If it gets to me after the lease is up, I can move somewhere else like you said. The apartment I chose was having a move-in special because they were struggling to find renters, so I get the first two months free. You can't beat that! We will see if it is too good to be true.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 AM

39 posts, read 136,742 times
Hello! I am considering moving to Panama City as well. Does anyone have insight on the "Stinch from the cardboard plant" This sounds strange. Thanx!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM

The area around where 231 and 98 intersect smells funny. I stayed at the Holiday Inn there, and it could have been that. You don't smell it a few miles away from there, but I don't think there are too many residential areas around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida