U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM

23,335 posts, read 17,364,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
When departing FL for other states, I've noticed that most Northeastern "halfbacks" move to NC, Midwestern "halfbacks" move to TN, and native Floridians move to CA.
TN is not really an option. The job market there is beyond devastated. Before I got my current position, I was applying like a fiend in Nashville's "hot" job market, and pay was barely above that in rural east TN, and it certainly didn't keep up with COL. Nashville's rental and property prices are rapidly rising and easily more expensive than what I've seen in Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville, unless you get on the absolute fringes of the metro.

I was focusing on Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. I could likely find something in South FL since I work for a software company that has big financial firms for clients, but I don't know if it would be too expensive. My preference would be Tampa, Orlando, and then Jacksonville. From my research, cost of living seems to increase from Jacksonville, to Tampa, with Orlando being the most expensive.

The primary reason for moving is the weather, infrastructure, and taxes. The roads in Indiana are the worst I've ever driven on (had two flats from potholes in two months), the weather is terrible during fall/winter (there's been almost no sunshine and mostly <40 temps for the past month), and the taxes here are horrible for a supposed red state.

I have nearly two weeks off for Christmas and am planning on taking a self-guided tour as I'm going to the Gator Bowl. I'd like to hit quite a few of the major metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 11:20 AM

734 posts, read 729,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
..and Califronians move to WA (en masse).
And Arizona

and Colorado

Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,216,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Nope, not everyone. That's part of the problem. Living in such a rapidly filling state isn't appealing to everyone. And some people don't care for the weather up there.

Hahaha, the weather "up there" is 4 mild seasons. FL isnt rapidly growing?

Also, I found that everyone I met in NC (from FL) was much happier in NC.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
NC is a possibility as I could probably find related work in Charlotte. Raleigh is also a possibility, but is more expensive. Still, NC has an income tax which I am looking to avoid.

The 7% tax is worth it lol.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM

11 posts, read 20,673 times
Im originally from Florida. I have now lived in Michigan for the last 20 years. I can tell you that after living in a state that gets as cold as Michigan does it has made me appreciate the time I spent in Florida. Michigan is beautiful in its own way and rights. But the winters stink! Id take snow 12/25, that's about it!! When I retire, im headed back to the sunshine state!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
When departing FL for other states, I've noticed that most Northeastern "halfbacks" move to NC, Midwestern "halfbacks" move to TN, and native Floridians move to CA.

There are a TON of real Floridians in NC.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
And Arizona

and Colorado

And Asheville NC.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Hahaha, the weather "up there" is 4 mild seasons. FL isnt rapidly growing?

Also, I found that everyone I met in NC (from FL) was much happier in NC.
That's swell. I've met people who moved here who are much happier. Goes both ways.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
That's swell. I've met people who moved here who are much happier. Goes both ways.

Hahaha, I'm not buying it.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Hahaha, I'm not buying it.
Believe what you like, I don't particularly care. If you hate FL so much maybe you should stop spending time on its forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida