U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:21 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,890,207 times

Advertisements

Is anybody that lives in Florida actually a native? I know when I lived in South Florida it seemed like about 90 percent of people were a transplant from the northeast, Europe or a Spanish speaking country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:03 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,214,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Believe what you like, I don't particularly care. If you hate FL so much maybe you should stop spending time on its forums.

I dont hate it. I like some things about it.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:07 PM

734 posts, read 729,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I dont hate it. I like some things about it.
Hahaha, I'm not buying it.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:47 PM

14,762 posts, read 31,184,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Is anybody that lives in Florida actually a native? I know when I lived in South Florida it seemed like about 90 percent of people were a transplant from the northeast, Europe or a Spanish speaking country.
In the northern half of the state most people are natives.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM

103 posts, read 194,239 times
We just moved down here from Tn. last week and it's a little too early to say. Right now we are staying in a congested area where the traffic is horrible while we look for a home. I believe once we get settled into a permanent area we will enjoy it. The weather wasn't that great of a factor in our moving but the lack of things to do in Memphis were. We wanted to be near the theme parks and beaches and wide array of festivals, concerts etc.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 AM

9,523 posts, read 6,513,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchTater View Post
We just moved down here from Tn. last week and it's a little too early to say. Right now we are staying in a congested area where the traffic is horrible while we look for a home. I believe once we get settled into a permanent area we will enjoy it. The weather wasn't that great of a factor in our moving but the lack of things to do in Memphis were. We wanted to be near the theme parks and beaches and wide array of festivals, concerts etc.
Orlando... But you definitely won't get away from congestion/traffic.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 AM

23,333 posts, read 17,364,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The 7% tax is worth it lol.
I currently pay 7% sales tax, 3.4% state income tax, and 1% county income tax here in Indiana. The state and local income taxes alone are about $160-$200/month for me. NC would be worse.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:55 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I currently pay 7% sales tax, 3.4% state income tax, and 1% county income tax here in Indiana. The state and local income taxes alone are about $160-$200/month for me. NC would be worse.
That is not bad. I wouldn't base a relocation solely on state income tax.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:09 AM

23,333 posts, read 17,364,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
That is not bad. I wouldn't base a relocation solely on state income tax.
It's not based solely on an income tax, or else I'd just go back to TN. My salary more than doubled from TN to IN, but that was coming from rural Appalachia to Indianapolis, and I was extremely underpaid in TN. I wouldn't expect my salary to fall all that much going to Tampa or Jacksonville. It's not like Indianapolis is a super high wage place, nor am I trying to replace a six figure NYC job or something.

I enjoy the outdoors, a lot of hiking, swimming, and boating, and it's really been impossible to do much of anything outside since November, and when I came up here in early April, there was still snow on the ground. It's cold, soggy, and cloudy, and it's probably going to remain that way until March or April. Doing anything outside is pretty much a no go three or four months a year. Back home in east TN, the weather is a little bit better, but still not great.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:03 AM

10,379 posts, read 14,226,100 times
Don't be disingenuous, your income doubled because you went from a call center to an actual job, call centers don't pay great anywhere.
Keep in mind that for a lot of people the Gulf Coast is unbearable for several months during the height of summer. Temps can start creeping up there as early as late April or May. Take the worst August day here and stretch it out to an unending two months, with no early morning cooling off, instead imagine walking outside at 9am and it's already 80F with a dew point in the 70's.
Living on or near the water can be expensive. If you can't afford to be on the water will you be up for making a drive after work or every weekend in order to spend time on those activities you enjoy? I did it for several years but there were a lot of times when it was just too much effort, or there wasn't enough time to make that drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida