U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,987 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Florida in about 6 months to go to school. We are just looking to move somewhere nice for now before school and are having a hard time finding a good area. We live in a small city of about 15,000 people and would like to keep it relatively small - we're trying to stay away from large cities but still somewhat close. Right now we live about 60 miles away from Chicago and it's a good distance. We would like to probably live on the gulf side preferably somewhat south. It's hard to make a judgement so far away. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 16,833 times
Florida has 4 major metropolis areas they are Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampabay, and Miami. If you are going to be attending school then I would need to know what school before I made a suggestion as to where you should try to live.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,871,694 times
I would have to agree with WeirDave, that it would help to know where you are attending school.

I would suggest North Port in southwest Florida. It's about 25 minutes minutes from the beaches. 40 minutes to Sarasota or Ft Myers. It's a really nice small town. The homes are very reasonable to buy/rent. The average age in North Port is 35.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,987 times
We're not totally sure where we are going to school.... :/ We're just moving down there right now to establish residency. I think I have my eye on Miami right now for school but I don't want to move there quite yet. We've already been to Tallahassee and really didn't like it.
I was looking up Vero Beach on the east coast last night and it seems just like where we live now. I know eventually I'll have to move to a bigger city to go to school but right now I like the smaller areas. I just want to move to a nice area where it is warm and within a good distance to the beach (my boyfriend is going to school for marine biology) before I head back to school.
Hopefully this is a little better explanation. Any help you can give me would be great! Thanks!!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:47 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,261,881 times
Sarasota has a university, it's a fairly large town though. It also contains Mote Marine, an aquarium as well as a research facility.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:16 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,873,650 times
You could try Port Charolette or Cape Coral (although I'll be honest I dunno what Cape Corals population is anymore) However there is Florida Gulf Coast University in Estero that is a driveable distance. If you want a bit closer than those two try Bonita. Housing is going down in Fla so you can probably strike a deal in the next year or so with houses or condo.. However I suggest renting the first year to really get a feel for summer and hurricane season. Just to be totally sure its what you want good luck with your move, there are TONS of great schools to choose from in Fla!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,253,487 times
I can tell you that me and my wife wanted to do the same exact thing 27+ years ago and we stayed here in Ohio, mainly because of family and a great job offer. We even had an apps in at UF and everything.

27+ years later and we now know we made a huge mistake staying here.

We love the sun, the beach, the warmth, the air and everything else there is to love about Florida, so congrats on your move, seeing young copies being able to make a big decision like this is great !

Congrats and good luck!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM

33 posts, read 86,645 times
Default Where to go to school?

Wow tough question. I would say down here in SW Florida has a great school
in SouthWest Florida Gulf. The pace is slower and quiet here and the average age is about 40 years old.

I have a 2 neices going to school in the Orlando area and here the schools are very good up there also. If you live outside of Orlando you will be able to getting rent for pretty reasonable. The average age in much lower there.

Mind you, if you live in Florida for a year first.....you can get your education very cheaply. Look into that because I don't know too much about it.

If you go any further north in Florida than Orlando....it gets pretty cold. That is COLD to a SW Florida guy anyway.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 AM

172 posts, read 872,287 times
If your boyfriend is going to school for Marine Biology, have him check into UF since it's an awesome science school. Florida Gulf Coast University is (in theory at least) an environmental college, so it'd be worth checking out. Both schools have quiet towns in commuting distance. UF is hard to get into so I hope the boyfriend has pretty good grades. FGCU is accepting almost anyone at this point since it's a new school and it's trying to build up its numbers.

Good luck on finding a school!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,873,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-HD View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Florida in about 6 months to go to school. We are just looking to move somewhere nice for now before school and are having a hard time finding a good area. We live in a small city of about 15,000 people and would like to keep it relatively small - we're trying to stay away from large cities but still somewhat close. Right now we live about 60 miles away from Chicago and it's a good distance. We would like to probably live on the gulf side preferably somewhat south. It's hard to make a judgement so far away. Can anyone help?
My mother in law was always interested in Biology and ended up going back to school (Florida Gulf Coast University) and getting her degree in biology there, she like the school very much. They have great housing around the school and new shopping popping up everywhere, its very college catered around FCGU definetly worth a consideration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or