Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big fan of Publix supermarkets in FL. For one, I think they have too much of a monopoly, which is never good. I come from the UK originally, where instead of having just one main supermarket chain (Wal-Mart & Winn-Dixie don't count), I got to choose from 4-5, at least 2 of which were open 24 hours and were twice the size of even a large Publix, offering far more variety and more affordable prices, particularly on fresh/baked produce.

Publix are good for certain items, but I have found that the quality of their produce has gone downhill fast, the bakery sucks and most of the aisles are just aisles and aisles of the same artificial cr*p, i.e. 100 different varieties of salad dressing, but not enough varities of cheeses, meats & fresh vegetables.

I also find their policy of not only bagging your groceries, but helping you carry your groceries to your car rather baffling. Yes, I know that sounds weird, but I don't understand why someone perfectly able-bodied needs help wheeling their groceries to their car & unloading them. Personally, I call that a luxury and a gross inefficiency. Those staff would be better employed manning the checkouts, or ensuring that the shelves are kept stacked up.

I think that Publix would benefit from healthy competition. Why will no major supermarket chain take the chance and come down here to try to compete with them? Competition is always good, after all.

Then again, my experience of Publix supermarkets comes from living in South Florida....perhaps Publix supermarkets are better in other parts of the state?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
The rule of thumb seems to be that the further the Publix stores are from South Florida, the better they get. For all that I've heard their Miami stores are terrible, they actually come in second to New York regional power Wegman's among non-specialty grocery store chains in the annual Consumer Reports satisfaction ratings. It's like they're a different company outside that region.

As for competition, many other grocery chains like Albertsons have tried to compete with Publix in Florida but have ended up getting crushed. I'm not quite sure how Winn Dixie manages to stay in business in many parts of the state. They tend to have just as high, if not higher, prices as Publix for poorer quality product. I gladly drive past the WD a block from my home and go to the Publix five miles away for better prices for the things we buy regularly and better produce/meat/bakery quality.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The rule of thumb seems to be that the further the Publix stores are from South Florida, the better they get. For all that I've heard their Miami stores are terrible, they actually come in second to New York regional power Wegman's among non-specialty grocery store chains in the annual Consumer Reports satisfaction ratings. It's like they're a different company outside that region.

As for competition, many other grocery chains like Albertsons have tried to compete with Publix in Florida but have ended up getting crushed. I'm not quite sure how Winn Dixie manages to stay in business in many parts of the state. They tend to have just as high, if not higher, prices as Publix for poorer quality product. I gladly drive past the WD a block from my home and go to the Publix five miles away for better prices for the things we buy regularly and better produce/meat/bakery quality.
I feel the same way about Winn-Dixie...terrible. Their stores are tiny and I wonder how they've managed to stay afloat, because they're no cheaper than Publix for most things.

As for Publix, maybe they are better further north. All I know is that I can't find one half-decent Publix supermarket here in Miami. My biggest gripe is with the bakery/produce. The bakery tries to imitate Latin food, but charges $0.69 each for a tiny croquette, which you could get in a proper Cuban cafe for half the price (and better). I find that the produce is well below par and overly priced. In fact, I often go to Whole Foods just to get decent produce, even though it costs more.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 AM

86 posts, read 417,282 times
Clearly you do not understand the definition of "monopoly". Publix is far from it- they have simply heavily saturated South Florida to compete with other companies. I don't know about your town, but I can shop at Albertson's, Winn Dixie, Whole Foods, or Target/Wal-Mart Supercenter (you can't simply discount these because you feel like it). Plus many towns in northern Florida have small regional groceries like Sweet Bay or Harvey's that do fine in their markets.

I like Publix because I grew up shopping there and because they employ lots of students and young people, but lately their prices are too high for me so I switched to buying bulk at Wal-Mart. Still, you can't beat Publix bakery and deli for specialities, and their pharmacy gives out lots of free meds like pencilin.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Where I live in southern Florida I have a wide array of choices.

For fresh produce, I go to a local fruit/vegetable stand and pay about 1/4 the prices at Publix (support local agriculture and local agriculture will support you).

For meat (rarely eat), milk and the occasional needed item during the week, for the sake of convenience, I go to Publix for the very reason that it is located at just about every major intersection or close by (Walgreen's is often also competitive on milk prices, and often Publix and Walgreen's are located side-by-side).

For fish I go to Albertson's: they have specials almost every week that can't be beat and I often buy enough for weeks at a time. They are also the only store I've seen that sells 25-pound sacks of flour.

For dry foods, canned tuna, drinks and household and similar items, I go to Walmart (four of them within a 7 mile radius from where I live) once every three weeks (used to be once a week, then two, now every three weeks, just stock up and save trips).

I do not feel that I waste gas going to these different places because it is possible to arrange one's trips intelligently and in any case they are all within a very close distance, one of the benefits of living in a relatively densely populated area, and in any case, by buying at the lowest possible prices, I save much more than the cost of gas, so it is worth it.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
I don't know about your town, but I can shop at Albertson's, Winn Dixie, Whole Foods, or Target/Wal-Mart Supercenter (you can't simply discount these because you feel like it). Plus many towns in northern Florida have small regional groceries like Sweet Bay or Harvey's that do fine in their markets.
Agreed, Jax has plenty of options. Publix, Winn Dixie, Food Lion, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and of course those local stores (...not counting Winn Dixie, lol). Albertsons had a big presence here til Publix bought all their stores. Then there is WalMart, Target, and the member-clubs like Costco, Sams, and BJs as well. All that said, Jax is a huge spread out area, so some of these stores do not compete at all (in different parts of the city). Rumor has it there's a Trader Joes on the way to Jax, as well as a number of other FL locations...that will be nice.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 AM

57 posts, read 848,026 times
Default Tallahassee Publix

In Tallahassee, there isn't much left except for Publix. Albertsons was bought out by Publix, and they are turning the old Albertsons into Publix Greenwise stores. And Winn-Dixie like others have said is dirty and run down. We have nice new Super Wal-marts, but I still try not to shop there if I don't have to.

Publix has the best bakery, produce, and meat department of any large grocery chain in Florida. I do believe that over the last 5-7 years, their quality of products has gone down. I think the bigger they get, the less their quality goes up. Also, I used to like how they were very customer friendly. Now that they are getting bigger, they lose that a little bit.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Within three miles of my home I have Publix, Winn-Dixie, Sweetbay, plus Wal-mart and Super Target. Publix is hardly a monopoly. I shop there because they have clean. well-stocked stores, good variety, and good prices.

That said, if and when (and I believe it's a when) Wegman's comes to town, I'll be dropping Publix like a hot potato.

If you don't want people to carry out your groceries, simply decline.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Within three miles of my home I have Publix, Winn-Dixie, Sweetbay, plus Wal-mart and Super Target. Publix is hardly a monopoly. I shop there because they have clean. well-stocked stores, good variety, and good prices.

That said, if and when (and I believe it's a when) Wegman's comes to town, I'll be dropping Publix like a hot potato.

If you don't want people to carry out your groceries, simply decline.
Wegman's is the best, but we will not likely see one in Florida soon.

Publix carries out the groceries because it is easier to control the carts.

What bugs me more than anything there, and a lot bugs me there, is the goofy plastic bags. They never ask paper or plastic. I hate the plastic bags and I always want paper. Usually I bag myself, because I've grown tired of seeing cans put on top of tomatos.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
You think Wegmans will come to Florida?? They are Headquartered in Rochester NY, (30 miles from here).
Wegman's is an awesome supermarket. They are all over up here, both in Rochester and Buffalo. They seem to be the standard that all others strive for but do not meet.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida