Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 AM

30 posts, read 64,701 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I have a family of 4 and we are currently living in Minnesota. My wife is a migraine sufferer and our doctor said it may be best to relocate to either FL or CA due to the low Barometric Pressure.

I won't have to look for a job as I can work remotely, so we can move to just about anywhere.

We would be looking for the following criteria in a city.

* Close to the Ocean
* Family Friendly,
* Good Schools

We will be flying to either or both of the following states in the next few months to see for ourselves but any helpful hints from residents would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Ummm huge differences. If you want to be near the ocean in cali, prepare to spend millions. You won't have to do that in Fl

Old 12-19-2014, 09:02 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Never heard migraines are any better in FL or CA because of lower Barometric Pressure? Sounds strange ... I know plenty of people in Florida that get migraines, I have a bad headache right now (I've had migraines myself). The real question you should be asking is what are your wife's migraine triggers? Stress, seasonal weather changes, hormone levels, foods, etc. Mine is food triggered (processed deli meats, chocolate, aspertame, swiss cheese, etc)

Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 AM

734 posts, read 920,162 times
I suffer from migraines and have had very few of them since moving to FL from the mid atlantic region.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I wonder if yours where seasonal changes? Which sounds like it.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:13 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Florida..

Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wonder if yours where seasonal changes? Which sounds like it.
I had them sporadically throughout the year up north. Hot weather, cold, whatever. Doc didn't link them to seasonal variation. Couldn't really link them to anything, but gave me a medication that helped. The two I've had down here were nowhere near as severe.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:30 AM

30 posts, read 64,701 times
We have seen a number of Neurologists and she has been tested for Celiac Disease which is what causes migraines due to food allergies. We even went to the Mayo Clinic which is one of the best hospitals in the world.

That said, one of their suggestions was to try and live in a location with low barometric pressure thus our possible relocation.

So, I am looking for specific areas in these two states so that I can do some research as they along with Hawaii (which isn't a realistic option) have the lowest barometric pressure.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Outside of the Twin-Cities area, you may have fewer options in Minnesota. Frankly, I'm not sure how one would go about simply 'flying to either Ca. or Fl. 'state' to look for a place with such generic criteria as: Good schools, close to ocean and family-friendly (Where would you start and how would you evaluate these criteria beyond 'close to ocean?'

There are almost a laughable number of "I want to move to Florida (or California) ...'because it's always sunny and warm there'" threads. Perhaps if you look at a few of those, you will have a better idea of how to narrow-down your own criteria.

We've lived in Florida for over 40-years, raised our family here and still love it and think it was a good choice. There are probably people in California who will say the same thing there. I can say that, with the exception of So. Fla. (Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and beyond), 'close to the ocean' in Florida may be more affordable; and also has no state income tax. Other than that, I only have an 'impression' of California, that would cause me to choose Fl. over Ca. (BTW, we haven't really had a hurricane in Fl. for about 10-years, which seems to be a 'concern' hyped by the media ... even more than the earthquakes in Ca.)

This site provides some demographic information about Florida that might help you narrow-down your choices:
file:///C:/Users/John/Desktop/Misc%20Links/FLORIDA%20STATISTICS/Florida%20Quick%20Facts.htm

Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Outside of the Twin-Cities area, you may have fewer options in Minnesota. Frankly, I'm not sure how one would go about simply 'flying to either Ca. or Fl. 'state' to look for a place with such generic criteria as: Good schools, close to ocean and family-friendly (Where would you start and how would you evaluate these criteria beyond 'close to ocean?'

There are almost a laughable number of "I want to move to Florida (or California) ...'because it's always sunny and warm there'" threads. Perhaps if you look at a few of those, you will have a better idea of how to narrow-down your own criteria.

We've lived in Florida for over 40-years, raised our family here and still love it and think it was a good choice. There are probably people in California who will say the same thing there. I can say that, with the exception of So. Fla. (Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and beyond), 'close to the ocean' in Florida may be more affordable; and also has no state income tax. Other than that, I only have an 'impression' of California, that would cause me to choose Fl. over Ca. (BTW, we haven't really had a hurricane in Fl. for about 10-years, which seems to be a 'concern' hyped by the media ... even more than the earthquakes in Ca.)

This site provides some demographic information about Florida that might help you narrow-down your choices:
file:///C:/Users/John/Desktop/Misc%20Links/FLORIDA%20STATISTICS/Florida%20Quick%20Facts.htm
Uh, you can't link to docs on your local computer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida