U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 04:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
All well and good and I agree that a dozen C-D posters do not a state make.

You do know that the poverty level is by family, right ? So it is possible for Mom and Dad in FL both to be working 2 jobs and barely cross the poverty threshold and Dad in NC working one job and barely cross the poverty threshold. Which family has the better quality of life ? I'm sure Mom in NC would say her life is better as she gets to stay home with the kids.

Point being that the number of family members working has to be taken into account to determine if Florida really ranks better.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/pove...w/measure.html
how do u come up with that conclusion? The median wage in each state (FL/NC) is within a few dollars of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 04:28 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,779,493 times
You do talk a lot about credibility. Having a low reputation would be a good indicator that you're not taken seriously.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:49 PM

1,229 posts, read 706,734 times
Eh, can't really say it's a positive thing with the change in culture, the increase in traffic and sprawl and so on. But I guess Florida is doing some things right since people are moving here. Personally, I'm looking to get out. I want to move somewhere with a slower pace of living and an environment with four seasons. Eastern Tennessee/Western NC and northern GA are some areas of interest but I don't know anyone up there.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:49 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
how do u come up with that conclusion? The median wage in each state (FL/NC) is within a few dollars of each other.
What does the median wage have to do with the poverty level ? Is not the median wage calculated for F/T employees ? Who said the FL couple in my example were both working F/T ?

Old 12-25-2014, 07:59 AM

20,062 posts, read 12,038,970 times
Quote:
I'm against anyone of any race coming here with their hands out and pockets empty. Foreign buyers may be buying property for investment reasons, but that does not mean they are counted in the 19+ population. Neither are illegals or tourists.

As to the amount of lowlife chusma in Florida, take off your cheerleader goggles and step outside. You shouldn't have to venture far from home to see it.
I would take the investors and put them in LAST place to buy anything in FLA- allowing natives first- military 2nd -local companies 3rd -national co 4th and foreign last - I think we are selling the USA to everybody but our own and it will come back to bite us.

and if you don't like Fl- adios

Old 12-26-2014, 11:56 AM

15,309 posts, read 17,507,733 times
Quote:
So if the economy is admittedly bad, who is going to employ all of these new residents with their dreams of sunshine ?
Most of the new residents are new retirees coming down with a pension and 2 monthly social security checks and enough money to pay cash for a home, after retiring and selling their home up north. There are lots of them and they are going to increase over the next dozen years. They go to restaurants and buy new cars and spend money furnishing and decorating their homes. They have the time and money to travel throughout the state. They pay taxes but they don't send their kids to schools. They don't need jobs, because they are done working.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:01 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Most of the new residents are new retirees coming down with a pension and 2 monthly social security checks and enough money to pay cash for a home, after retiring and selling their home up north. There are lots of them and they are going to increase over the next dozen years. They go to restaurants and buy new cars and spend money furnishing and decorating their homes. They have the time and money to travel throughout the state. They pay taxes but they don't send their kids to schools. They don't need jobs, because they are done working.
Do you have any evidence to support this theory ? Folks have been retiring to Florida for years now but are they the bulk of the newly minted Floridians ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or