Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's because she needs to vent? don't we all?

It was just a simple question. She said she can't move because her husband got a job down there and also didn't move there by choice. They plan on moving back north, but not until they can retire.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM

548 posts, read 540,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Maybe it's because she needs to vent? don't we all?

It was just a simple question. She said she can't move because her husband got a job down there and also didn't move there by choice. They plan on moving back north, but not until they can retire.
No doubt. Hockeymom is going through what we went through when we lived up north. I simply tried to exist and survive every day to get through the fall and winters.

She hates the hot as passionately as I hated the cold.

I enjoy that both sides are represented on this forum. I don't mind being reminded about Florida's shortcomings. I am pretty realistic about the good and the bad down here.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
You are exactly right and that is why I was getting so peeved in the previous post, its the same arugment... She ONLY wants to move up north because she loves the cold, hates the heat

To answer the question not ONLY am I coming down for the weather BUT ALSO

c) Culture

d) Entertainment

First off, all my family is up north...my parents are alone there in Florida. She doesn't want to move north for the cold...it's mostly to be back with family. Just like how you're moving back to Florida for that reason.

Culture and entertainment are really lacking in Florida. Things closed so early down there and absolutely nothing was open on Christmas. Culture? All I really ever see are Mexicans. Maybe if you go to Miami and Orlando there's good culture and entertainment. It's a big state, and those are the 2 areas I would really go to for entertainment (spring training). You obviously have never lived in NYC lol

Old 01-05-2008, 05:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Honestly, no matter where you live, it has shortcomings for someone.

What looks like a shortcoming to one is another persons something wonderful.

My sister lives near Denver and loves how dry it is, I HATE how dry it is. My skin feels like its going to dry up and blow away.

I'm sure people hate the humidity here but I love it. I feel like I'm on a tropical vacation.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM

672 posts, read 905,468 times
Default It isn't cheap here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I have tried to get the same question answered in many of my posts, also. I want to move to Florida, but it has to be for reasons beyond the sunshine and beaches. I want a higher quality of life, but I do not want to squander all of my pension in 5 years to find it. Yes, there is no state income tax.... so what, when Florida has some of the worst funded/performing public schools in the country and/or my lone income is from an untaxed pension anyway. Any new resident will need to prepare his family for the much higher property taxes... sometimes double those of neighbors in identical homes, by virtue of the unfair SOH legislation.

Be prepared for the bashing and criticism that is already coming your way... just for asking a question. Some of the bashing will come from those trying to sell their Florida homes and are generating minimal buyer interest. What these bashers do not seem to realize is that their state's infrastructure is in much worse shape than they will acknowledge. Maybe the sunshine in their eyes is blinding!
It is all those added costs that creep up on you. Yes, our property taxes are half of what they were on LI, but we had almost 2/3 of an acre there. Our homeowners insurance doubled here from what we paid on LI. We did not have to pay Homeowners Association Fees there. That works out to almost another $2,000 a year. I know they all like to talk about no state income tax, but last year I paid a total of $150 for the year in state income taxes. Um, that isn't isn't close to the increase in money just in homeowners insurance. We sat down and figured it all out and we are now saving a whopping $1,000 a year from up in NY. That isn't even taking into consideration that we got a lot more for our money up north in quality of life, education, and services.

I was also really shocked at the cost of food here too. Produce is very expensive. My husband was even arguing with people at Publix about this. As he said, they GROW the stuff here. They don't have to ship it. Why is it more expensive here than up North and crappier to boot. lol Maybe because they ship all the better quality goods up north? I don't know.

Sorry, but it isn't as cheap as they say it is. Maybe, as you say, they are trying to sell their homes and looking for people from up North with stars in their eyes to buy the bill of goods. PT Barnum comes to mind.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
First off, all my family is up north...my parents are alone there in Florida. She doesn't want to move north for the cold...it's mostly to be back with family. Just like how you're moving back to Florida for that reason.

Culture and entertainment are really lacking in Florida. Things closed so early down there and absolutely nothing was open on Christmas. Culture? All I really ever see are Mexicans. Maybe if you go to Miami and Orlando there's good culture and entertainment. It's a big state, and those are the 2 areas I would really go to for entertainment (spring training). You obviously have never lived in NYC lol
Okay firstly comparing NYC to Naples is like apples to oranges, i mean give me a break. Thats like me comparing my town in NH to Naples... I can fit my ENTIRE town in Naples Park.. 1 neighborhood. .. My town hree is 98% white. I can literally go WEEKS without seen a black, asian, mexican etc person. I lived in NY as a child on and off, yes it was a long time ago and for short on and off spurts at a time, but I remember it, I know what "culture" it has. I go back yearly sometimes more to visit family in the Bronx, we do the NYC thing just like everywhere else the city gets boring and you feel like you've done it all seen it all. And please I feel like you have NO idea what closed down means in Naples. Some stores are closed on a holiday, thats normal for anywhere, regardless you can still find SOMETHING there open on that day, the movies I know are open, the bowling alley is.. I go out on a saturday here the ENTIRE main street is closed down, ENTIRE. No stores open Sunday forget it, they close McDonalds .. yah no joke.. Christmas day, in naples I could go to publix and get something last minute , here even the biggest chains were closed. The ONLY store open here on Christmas Eve and day was a chinese place,it was the only place we could get food. They turn off the street lights here on the weekends.. all 5 of them...

Miami is a dump, plain and simple been going there my whole life, and its dirty disgusting nasty and i hate it.. just my opinion.

I am not moving back just to be with family. I listed a whole bunch more..

Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
This forum doesnt have enough memory to list ALL the reason why FLORIDA is better then other places.

People have choices and so what if weather is the only reason or if it is reason No. 999, its that person choice.

Why NOT move to Florida for the weather unless you are some boring hermit that lives in a house all day long.

So have you asked people would move to New York because of the weather?
The way you alway put it you try to make many of us think that cold is better then warm and it is a FACT it is not.

Watch SCI FI channel, they did a complete session on how the cold effects your body overall and it was not good.

Do you know that people like you have convince people not to move to Florida? Why would you do that? Should they take some of all the info and make a choice based on complete facts and what they like?

There is one person who doesnt post here anymore that used the Florida bashers info on this board to decide to not move to Florida but instead bought in North Carolina and HATES IT THERE!

The Florida haters never seem to post the real reasons why they hate it there. We see the same ole same ole, its too hot, crime is bad, COL is bad, hurricanes is bad, all that crap when you know its just as bad everywhere else and in most cases it is safer, cheaper and people are happier in Florida then the places they came from.

I do not understand something Hockeymom, if you hate Florida so bad then why stay there? and why consistenly to convince people of how bad Florida is when you now the overwhelming majority of people love it there.

So what is your post all about? The people who love Florida have so many times diluted you and many others thoughts and seems none of them listened to you and the other Florida bashers.

Why is it you have time to tear anyone who has a positive thing to say about Florida down? Shouldnt you be posting the the NY forum instead of posting in the Florida forum and trying to convince people of how bad it is in Florida.

Have you read recent post about people moved away from Florida and are moving back because it is BETTER there !!!! Or did you ignore those people?

I would not stay in a town or state that I hated so much for any reason.

I dont have to prove you wrong at all, your post and TONS of others have already done that.

If Florida is not for you then move, make room for people who believe it is for them and stop trying to convince those who do not know any better how bad it is there.

Besides people like CJFLorida moved there for the weather and the entire family is much better off and probably have found life is totally better when you live in paradise.

So prove me wrong, WHY NOT MOVE THEIR FOR THE WEATHER, because if you have the weather Florida has EVERYTHING ELSE will fall into place for you.

You just got to get off the puter and go outside to see it, all you gotta do is look a the picture thread to see that you are in paradise.

I forgot Hockeymom, why did you move to Florida?

By they way, Almost Heaven is not West Virginia, its FLORIDA !!

** Is there anyone in this forum who moved to NY, NJ, NH, Oh, Mich, Minne, SD, Ill, Iowa, Conn, Mass etc just for the weather from Florida?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 PM

49 posts, read 141,035 times
I agree with all of you about florida. I lived down there for 30 years. We moved up to knoxville, tn 2 years ago after all the hurricanes. What a huge mistake we made. So we plan on moving back down to Florida. I can't wait. They can keep this cold and gloomy weather. I have a electric bill up here enough to choke a horse!!!!!!!! Give me the beach and sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM

548 posts, read 540,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma123 View Post
I agree with all of you about florida. I lived down there for 30 years. We moved up to knoxville, tn 2 years ago after all the hurricanes. What a huge mistake we made. So we plan on moving back down to Florida. I can't wait. They can keep this cold and gloomy weather. I have a electric bill up here enough to choke a horse!!!!!!!! Give me the beach and sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on back! As you know, the housing bubble is just starting to deflate so you can grab a great inexpensive rental and watch prices come down.

You will be in good shape as prices are lower now than when you moved 2 years ago, and they will keep getting lower in the future!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM

49 posts, read 141,035 times
Hockeymom,

You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida