Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
No, it's not that noticeable unless you want to really exaggerate & make a huge deal out it to pound in the fact.

I grew up in OH. Lived for some time in southern states due to military obligations placing us there & then FL.

When it starts getting dark out in the "winter", it is generally earlier in the evening as compared to summer.

So, in Dec in FL, it is dark at 7pm just as it is in NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, LA, etc. BUT, the southern states DO get a few more minutes due to their location on the globe & position of the sun during this time, etc.

There is a scientific reason & sure someone on here knows or has the time to google it.

But, on CMas Eve in SWFL it's not going to be daylight at 8:30pm just as it is not going to be daylight in VT at 8:30pm on CMas Eve.

Really not noticeable unless you want to be super obsessive
total amount of sunlight is about the same. It just varies a little more the the winter in more darkness as to when the sun comes up in the morning, to a little more daylight as to when the sun goes down. No big deal really. I just have to be at work by 7:30 AM so I get to notice it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Thanks runswithscissors, I love more sunlight! It just makes you feel better! Those shorter days really depressed me!
My birds love it too. When the guy put my 3m window tint up on the east window they immediately flew to their roost at 5:30 pm instead of their usual 7:30. It was really funny, poor things

Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Oh, cmon SoFLGal, that ain't fair..
Meet more than a few grumpy people in PGI; it was a national pastime at Publix. We thought it was a requirement to glare at young children when we lived there

Grumpy people are everywhere.

Now, snow & ice is another matter...
They go hand in hand in this case! I have never seen any gleeful elderly people happy about shoveling snow and ice! - They are always grumpy then, wishing their kids would send them to Florida!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
They go hand in hand in this case! I have never seen any gleeful elderly people happy about shoveling snow and ice! - They are always grumpy then, wishing their kids would send them to Florida!
Nope, my dad is 72 & gets grumpy when we try to help him or tell him he can't shovel 12" of snow in record time

Ice, though, that is awful stuff & even I could live without that the rest of my life & be very, very happy.

Give me Florida in Feb or March. That is the only time I want to be back. It is close to perfect there at that time of year & the doldrums of winter have kicked in further north. After that, I've had my fill of FL.

Big House: in your situation, one of the reasons to live there is SWFL International Airport. I've been in way too many airports. That one is probably the best run & nicest one I've ever seen. I mean the shuttle is waiting there, next to your car, to take you to the terminal. Very nice.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Actually my neighbor

Quote:
was always gleeful, even when shoveling. She was a woman in her 70s and never complained about anything.

Me, I complained MORE about my two 20 something daughters not coming out and HELPING me than in actually shoveling it. It was always wait until my show is over or wait until I get off the computer. I just plain gave up even asking and did it myself. The polar ice caps could have melted before they came outside. So, she won't be yelling at me, most of the time my younger daughter WAS away at college. OK?

However, I really cannot complain. When there really was a lot of snow, say over a foot, somebody with a plow on their truck would drive by and offer to plow it for me. Maybe I just looked pathetic. I don't know. More than a few times, I just plain flagged them down and offered to PAY them to plow. That ALWAYS worked.

Actually thinking about all this gives me very fond memories. I never was very unhappy about it, just like my old neighbor.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Lets discuss the OP and avoid flaming the thread.

Thank you,

Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Ok, I'll add to the list-

• 101) It's just like the Midwest and Northeast (without the snow, ice and grumpy people)
• 102) Three national championship football teams give you plenty of bragging rights
• 103) Real Key Lime pie
• 104) The Florida Lottery (hey, you never know!)
• 105) Fresh Seafood
• 106) If it can be made into a theme park, we've done it or are working on it
• 107) We're the only state to throw parties for our natural disasters (If you've never been to a hurricane party, you haven't lived! Ever wonder where the drink called the Hurricane came from?)
• 108) How many other states do you know of that have manatees?
• 109) The original Flora-Bama: where EVERYONE swears they used to "hang out" with Jimmy Buffett (and probably did)
• 110) Space Shuttle launches (and Space Shuttle launch parties)
• 111) Bike Week in Daytona (and Leesburg-added by Frank D.)
• 112) Fantasy Fest in Key West
• 113) Spring Break in...well, every city in the state
• 114) Floridian doctors have actually been known to prescribe "sailing" for stress relief
• 115) Floridians still know the meaning of the word "neighbor"
• 116) It's probably not raining right now
• 117) If it is raining now, it won't be by the time you're done reading this.
• 118) Shell collecting
• 119) Scuba Diving and snorkeling
• 120) No state income taxes
• 121) Good enough for Hemingway, Madonna, Versace, etc....
• 122) Guavas, coconuts, loquats and bananas come from the trees, not from the store
• 123) From any point in Florida, a beach is only 60 miles away
• 124) "Formal Attire" has a completely different definition
• 125) You don't have to move when you retire
This is great, keep it coming...

Old 08-12-2008, 03:13 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Nope, my dad is 72 & gets grumpy when we try to help him or tell him he can't shovel 12" of snow in record time

Ice, though, that is awful stuff & even I could live without that the rest of my life & be very, very happy.

Give me Florida in Feb or March. That is the only time I want to be back. It is close to perfect there at that time of year & the doldrums of winter have kicked in further north. After that, I've had my fill of FL.

Big House: in your situation, one of the reasons to live there is SWFL International Airport. I've been in way too many airports. That one is probably the best run & nicest one I've ever seen. I mean the shuttle is waiting there, next to your car, to take you to the terminal. Very nice.

Back on track - You're right - that is a good reason to move to Florida . SWFL Internationa Airport is one of the best airports I've traveled into. It is a wonderful drive to and from it as well!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
I just assume they would be grumpy shoveling, since I haven't actually seen snow or the grumpy people shoveling it(native Floridian). I wouldn't know first hand but it doesn't sound like fin to me.

121804, that's too funny about PGI. BigHouse is moving to PGI, so there will be one less grumpy person in PGI. Hence, another great reason to move to the area.

OK back to the topic!

126) Good schools-despite what some people may say.
127)women wearing bikinis-even in the winter.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 08-12-2008 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I just assume they would be grumpy shoveling, since I haven't actually seen snow or the grumpy people shoveling it(native Floridian). I wouldn't know first hand but it doesn't sound like fin to me.

121804, that's too funny about PGI. BigHouse is moving to PGI, so there will be one less grumpy person in PGI. Hence, another great reason to move to the area.

OK back to the topic!

126) Good schools-despite what some people may say.
127)women wearing bikinis-even in the winter.
Good. B/c PGI is a good place to retire to & just b/c you are "older" doesn't mean you need to be grumpy.

128) Pardon me if it's been mentioned but Publix. As much as I deplored my experience in SWFL, I miss Publix & its subs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida