U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,890,238 times

Advertisements

How about...

129) Being able to catch tropical fish in the creeks and ponds and put them into an aquarium. Fish that you would normally have to pay for - like oscars, and fancy guppies, and some cichlids, and some others. Fish that people have let go into the wild and that have bred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,902,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
How about...

129) Being able to catch tropical fish in the creeks and ponds and put them into an aquarium. Fish that you would normally have to pay for - like oscars, and fancy guppies, and some cichlids, and some others. Fish that people have let go into the wild and that have bred.
Really? , I would have never thought......

Frank D.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,223,653 times
Quote:
How about...

Some of the species are from Africa and South America. I have cichlids and a very involved aficionado of this type of fish. So far none of my friend down south have found a place to get free cichlids...

You might want to explain for everyones clarification...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,890,238 times
I once lived in Melbourne (an hour East of Orlando).

I forget the name of the inland waterway there. Big, big water way.

I lived by the waterway and there were little creeks there that were full of some kind of cichlid. I didn't mean the little fancy cichlids from Africa. Rather these were the bigger, boring looking cichlids. Like Jack Dempseys but not them specifically. They were similar in body shape but they had a blank color.

I also saw swordtails, guppies, and the like there. Lots of them.

I never saw an Oscar personally but I have heard they are now wild in places like Lake Ochechobe (? spelling might be wrong).

Carlos

Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM

36 posts, read 138,226 times
As others have said, the weather is a plus.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,051,775 times
130) Key West's Mallory Square - celebrating the anniversary of when they wanted to declare independence. I was there luckly to see the craziness, and it was fantastic. You can see some of it here.

Fantasy Fest (broken link)

Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,867,819 times
Quote:
How about...

Good point Carlos! We have a fish tank that has seahorse, baby flounder, sea urchins, crabs, etc all caught from the bay. You don't have to spend 60+ dollars per fish.

The kids get excited going to the bay and scooping the grass flats to find new critters for their tank. It's pretty neat!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I once lived in Melbourne (an hour East of Orlando).

I forget the name of the inland waterway there. Big, big water way.

I lived by the waterway and there were little creeks there that were full of some kind of cichlid. I didn't mean the little fancy cichlids from Africa. Rather these were the bigger, boring looking cichlids. Like Jack Dempseys but not them specifically. They were similar in body shape but they had a blank color.

I also saw swordtails, guppies, and the like there. Lots of them.

I never saw an Oscar personally but I have heard they are now wild in places like Lake Ochechobe (? spelling might be wrong).

Carlos
I lived in the area for 4 years and not such luck, but great if you can get expensive fish for free.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,663,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I lived in the area for 4 years and not such luck, but great if you can get expensive fish for free.
Isn't there any concern about bringing non-native species to Florida waters and upsetting a fragile ecological balance? Would I be just as "fortunate" to catch a piranha as an oscar in a nearby canal?

Otherwise, it would be awesome to stock a large aquarium with native Floridan fish.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Isn't there any concern about bringing non-native species to Florida waters and upsetting a fragile ecological balance? Would I be just as "fortunate" to catch a piranha as an oscar in a nearby canal?

Otherwise, it would be awesome to stock a large aquarium with native Floridan fish.
Florida largemouth bass and the catfish will have plenty of bait for years to come..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or