U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:08 PM

741 posts, read 721,894 times

Advertisements

My beloved home state of Florida is full of white trash, so draw your own conclusions how that relates to motorcycles and "gun-ownership-as-an-identity-movement". Tattoo industry is also robust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 PM

434 posts, read 406,256 times
lots of tats = look like a carnie

Old 12-31-2014, 10:46 PM

347 posts, read 703,001 times
THX,

I can relate to the P229, as far as Sigs go I really like the M11A1 and there are a couple others in the wives collection.

I should add that we are not the type to be involved in illegal activities, just the opposite in fact.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 AM

You guys should see my parents' collection. Their gun safe is so big, they had to cut a hole in the pool cage, and then in an interior wall of the house to get it installed in the master suite, under an adjacent staircase where the foundation was thick enough to hold it. My stepdad has some kind of rifle that was used as a sniper rifle by the Confederates in the Civil War. And a big M-60 machine gun that has the tripod and a whole chain of bullets for it. My mom has several tiny "lady's" handguns. I don't think any of those are worth like a bunch of money, but most of my stepdad's guns are. He also has some kind of old 1700s muzzle load rifle that's authentic, not a reproduction. And a flintlock that the barrel is like 8 sided. He got them all back in the 70s and 80s when he was an active duty MP, and has kept them since. And they have several AR-15s, Gloks and a bunch of German stuff he got while stationed there. They have way more guns than anyone else I've ever known.

I think they had to fill out some kind of special paperwork for 2 or 3 of the guns they have, but I don't know if that was state or federal. I think it was federal. Either way, the only trouble they've ever had that I know of was with getting the safe installed.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:47 PM

347 posts, read 703,001 times
JasonAnc,

You parents collection does sound unique and with a couple of pieces you related to, I would guess the extra permits you mentioned are from ATF; it shows your folks are law abiding and enjoying owning some current as well as historical firearms.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM

15,309 posts, read 17,507,733 times
Check the outskirts of Gainsville, FL. It feels somewhat like TN as far as rural acreage. Doesn't even seem like FL in some areas. Gainesville has good medical services because Univ FL is there. Good shopping in Gainesville and not far from Orlando, Jacksonville and Tampa if you want to visit a bigger city.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
JasonAnc,

You parents collection does sound unique and with a couple of pieces you related to, I would guess the extra permits you mentioned are from ATF; it shows your folks are law abiding and enjoying owning some current as well as historical firearms.
They're both retired cops and Army MPs. We're all highly law abiding. I've got family in federal law enforcement too.

And yeah it was ATF permits. (I asked him) For 3 collectible guns that are in original condition, and still capable of fully automatic fire. And the gun safe isn't a gun safe, it's an old safe out of a bank. And the M60 doesn't have any live rounds, the bullets on the belt for it have no powder. (I've imagined for years that if someone broke into their house, that they would get mowed down with that M60 with extreme prejudice. Never realized that if fired, the M60 would probably kill the people next door too after going through the walls.)

Old 01-04-2015, 08:25 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,887,255 times
Anywhere south of Gainesville (college town and VA hospitalA) to the Ocala area (thoroughbred country and room for a plane) will put you near the Ocala National Forest (watch out for bears) with natural springs, rivers, and lakes. Lots of open country and easy ride to either coast. Daytona Bikeweek in March and Leesburg Bikefest the end of April are both close by and extremely popular.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:56 AM

15,309 posts, read 17,507,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Check the outskirts of Gainsville, FL. It feels somewhat like TN as far as rural acreage. Doesn't even seem like FL in some areas. Gainesville has good medical services because Univ FL is there. Good shopping in Gainesville and not far from Orlando, Jacksonville and Tampa if you want to visit a bigger city.
Ditto for outskirts of Tallahassee. FL State Univ is the big school there. It gets rural quickly outside Tallahassee. Then you are closer to other states if you want to do a road trip. If you get too far south into FL, it's a long drive through FL before you reach the state line.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:29 PM

741 posts, read 721,894 times
If climate is what you're after (as it very predictibly is with the vast majority of people who choose Florida), then certain areas of rural Central FL offer some pretty cool opportinities.

If you are NOT after FL's climate, though, and perhaps maybe you can't do the extreme far northern winters anymore but can deal with (or perhaps even prefer) moderate winters, I would suggest looking at other Southern states, particularly in the VA/NC area, or TN, even parts of AR. Central Florida is pretty much the only place that offers 'rural and reasonably warm in the winter' but not much else. Certain aspects of the FL quality of life are backward compared to other places. Consider a state like Washington went head over heels to work to get every resident enrolled in health care... Florida actively fought against it and still has a ton of uninsured people who cannot afford a market rate but don't get a subsidy. That's Florida. This state earns its reputation on many, many different fronts so just be sure you understand "Florida" before moving to Florida because "Florida" is a lot more than just "warm".

Just to reiterate: I am a FL native who lives in Florida. I will 'out-cred' any transplant booster who cries about objective criticisms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida