U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2015, 03:35 PM
 
31 posts, read 49,541 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

What are the best citites for an African American to move to in Flordia?

I am a city girl that comes from a northern city with about 250K people and I am considering moving
to Florida. I visited Tampa and loved the city and Im not too sure about Jacksonville only for the simple fact that the city might be too large for me. HELP!! Please I am very interested in hearing some stories of people that recently moved there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 820,796 times
Reputation: 2198
Q: What are the best cities for an African American to move to in Flordia?


A: All of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 03:44 PM
 
4,158 posts, read 7,909,231 times
Reputation: 2371
There's a good sized up and coming Black young professional scene in Central Florida if that interests you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM
 
31 posts, read 49,541 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
There's a good sized up and coming Black young professional scene in Central Florida if that interests you.
Thank you but what's considered Central Florida??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
 
4,158 posts, read 7,909,231 times
Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryloves3 View Post
Thank you but what's considered Central Florida??
Greater Orlando Area. But I would specifically look in Orange, Seminole and Osceola counties. These are the main counties with larger populations, more diversity and more resources. Places like south Volusia and south Lake counties are nice also but maybe too country for a city person. The City of Orlando itself is great. Just for whatever it's worth, we have a black Sheriff, multiple black city councilmen/women, and a growing middle class and many other prominent people of color. I am not black by the way, although I am an ethnic person and have been involved in many events hosted by the various organizations, including the Orlando Urban League and Young Professionals. I have always felt welcome at events regardless of the host organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
Reputation: 16632
Florida is unusual in the respect that there are at least six metropolitan areas in the 250K range. Also, based on 42-years experience in several Florida cities (Melbourne area, Tampa, Orlando/Osceola, and significant work travel), I would say that Florida is far less racially divided than many (most?) Northern states. It simply isn't a real issue.

On the other hand, Florida is not much different than anyplace else when it comes to an employment-based lifestyle. Far too many have the notion that "always warm and sunny" means that one can simply drive-down with no job prospects, employable skills or even a living plan --- and live indefinitely off of "warm and sunny."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 06:20 AM
 
21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19609
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryloves3 View Post
What are the best citites for an African American to move to in Flordia?

I am a city girl that comes from a northern city with about 250K people and I am considering moving
to Florida. I visited Tampa and loved the city and Im not too sure about Jacksonville only for the simple fact that the city might be too large for me. HELP!! Please I am very interested in hearing some stories of people that recently moved there.
Jacksonville is growing and while the population may seem large it's really smaller than either Tampa or Orlando in terms of metro area because Jacksonville the city, and Duval (it's county) are one in the same....meaning it's spread out over a larger area. Jacksonville consistently ranks high in terms of employment options and livability in studies conducted by Black Professional publications as well as mainstream business publications.

COJ.net - Jax Accolades
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Did Your City Make The List?) | Page 11 | Hip-Hop Wired
10 Best Cities For Young Professionals To Find Bliss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 06:35 AM
 
338 posts, read 405,000 times
Reputation: 379
Why don't you look more into the Tampa/St. Petersburg area if you visited and enjoyed it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM
 
15,353 posts, read 17,598,692 times
Reputation: 13483
Tampa/St Pete metro area is twice the size of the Jacksonville metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 PM
 
731 posts, read 1,187,233 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville is growing and while the population may seem large it's really smaller than either Tampa or Orlando in terms of metro area because Jacksonville the city, and Duval (it's county) are one in the same....meaning it's spread out over a larger area. Jacksonville consistently ranks high in terms of employment options and livability in studies conducted by Black Professional publications as well as mainstream business publications.

COJ.net - Jax Accolades
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Did Your City Make The List?) | Page 11 | Hip-Hop Wired
10 Best Cities For Young Professionals To Find Bliss
Yeah, I think Jacksonville would be the best choice. Highlands, Garden City, and Biscayne (all along Dunn Ave) would be some good neighborhoods to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top