Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:37 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
It seems there are a number of friendly people in Florida already!

I had a little information regarding some of the locations, but I knew nothing of Stuart or of Orlando's reputation. As a Disneyesque destination, Orlando should've been obvious.

I welcome additional observations. A friend mentioned Vero Beach and Mt. Dora, I believe it was, as possibilities, too. Thanks so much for the feedback. If you're in need of desert southwest info., I've got plenty.

All the Best.
OK well, coming from Philadelphia, and New Hope PA., there is gay friendly and gay "promoting" or gay "obvious" for lack of a better term. Promoting would be Wilton Manors in the Ft Lauderdale area. "Gay businesses" like travel agents etc. I think the head of the city tourist dept for Ft Lauderdale is gay from memory. Obvious meaning normal every day life like in Philly, Boston, NY or big cities. HERE, you're talking about a tourist state and small towns. So the vibe is different. Ft Lauderdale/Miami is definitely more of an action type place.

It really depends on what you're looking for socially.

There are more schools Boca to Ft Lauderdale to Miami (The South Florida MSA) than here that's for sure. I'm not sure about job opportunities but I live in Vero Beach and clocking sweet senior gay couples all day long. Young couples, too but not as obvious as in Ft. Lauderdale. Normally not in Walmart but in Target signifying we're not all THAT gay yet.

Our town is very gentle and the people nice. Lots of wealth here too. But it's not known as an LGBT destination like Ft Lauderdale. It Ft. Lauderdale you can walk in a store and make a couple LGBT friends right away. If it's a furniture store LOL. And it's quiet here. The barrier island is gorgeous! No nightlife to speak of. No pride parades. Only 15K people! Famous for an older demographic but the schools are booming so it's not just "old people" here. There is every type of housing you can think of. Even a mobil home community on the beautiful Intracoastal Waterway - a million dollar view. Or farms/farmettes with actual live animals LOL.

There is a gay friendly church, the non denominational Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Vero Beach/ Unity Church on 43rd avenue. Two services on Sunday in the tourist season. Also the PFLAG location. Nice people and even for not religious people a good place to meet friends. There is also a gay AA meeting there on THursday nights.The Sober Rainbow Group. That's about it. haha. Unless you include the Disney resort and Gloria Estefan's Hotel and Spa.

http://www.verobeachpflag.org/events.htm

But there's THIS:

Riverside Theatre

Vero Beach Museum of Art, Vero Beach Florida, Art on the Treasure Coast

The Advocate promoted Jacksonville, but I lived there and it gets cold in winter. Downtown is also very urban and the nightlife alternates between traditional and annoying depending if you go out and what nights. It can get kinda banjee. If you care. My BFF had no issues wandering around our high rise holding hands with his lover, and was probably the most popular guy in the building because he was so outgoing. No he wouldn't do that out on the street in parking lots etc.

Jacksonville among the 'Gayest Cities' According to 'The Advocate' | firstcoastnews.com

Also LGBT Jax got dicey last year with legislation on "human rights" but the language was such that they made a mess of the bill...it not only included sexual orientation but gender identity and gender expression protection so everybody got into a big fight..so they removed that specific language of expression...and everybody got into a big fight...you know, just another day at the office...so the bill failed.

I say Lauderdale if you like it or Vero which I'm sure you'll LOVE from a strictly quality of life point of view. Speaking for the East coast. Obviously you'll get the vibe whenever you come visit pretty quickly.

Also I'm going to say, that the animosity towards LGBT people is often strong in the Hispanic community and that community is more pervasive further south. And I am definitely voting against Orlando unless you like the bar scene and that type of thing. LOTS of bars around there. RESORTS, actually. And the place is MOBBED with families. Try flying into Orlando some time. You'll never do it again!

Gay Club Orlando Welcome - Parliament House

If you are over 55 you can actually BUY a condo here in a nice 55+ community with GOLF for $25,000! Our real estate is LIMPING back to 2008 levels but right now I'd say at 2000 levels! So you could be a trial snow bird and see what you think! You can also rent short term. I recommend always renting somewhere to try it out before buying or even MOVING. Especially in FL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-14-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Oh hell this thread is from 2008? LOLOLLL

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
My ass you do. lol. How about you tell these gay people that you profess to love your thoughts about homosexuality. I bet they won't love you back.

And don't go comparing gay people to murderers. What an absolutely absurd comment that has no place in civil discourse. Keep it to whatever hateful church you attend.
Don't feed the troll. Just report the posts as off topic and offensive. Now, back the subject at hand without interjecting unnecessary rhetoric.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Don't feed the troll. Just report the posts as off topic and offensive. Now, back the subject at hand without interjecting unnecessary rhetoric.
This is not the forum to discuss beliefs about gays. Keep the posts about the original topic even though it is from 2008 it may help others looking to relocate.

Please reportn hijacked post rather than respond.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM

770 posts, read 1,130,795 times
I hope you find someplace safe, accepting and has a good quality of life. Gulfport FL, between St. Petersburg and Pasadena, is a real nice, gay friendly and funky area. It is on the Boca Ciga Bay, has tons of cool bars/shops and is only ten minutes from Gulf of Mexico beaches or 15 mins to the urban flair of ST. Petersburg on the water. Also, Gulfport has a thriving arts area and hosts many festivals. 40 mins away is Anna Marie Island, a lovely island beach on the gulf that much resembles the Bahamas. Anyway, good luck and I hope you find what you enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida