Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 83,089 times

Advertisements

A male, college professor, youthful, and active, I'm interested in moving to Florida primarily to get to be as warm as I can be for as long during the year as possible. Any suggestions about affordable, gay friendly (far from flaming), low crime rate areas of Florida. I'm familiar with the negatives with the major ones seeming to be high property taxes, homeowners' insurance costs/coverage, natural disasters, rudeness, traffic, and water shortage threats. I've little worry about securing a position, but much concern about picking up lock, stock, and barrel until I've got the lay of the land. I also understand the importance of renting first and "being on the ground" to get the lay of the land.

I've lived in El Paso for 30 yrs. in a home with pool, palms, 120 mile view, very low crime rate, no traffic, but colder winter nights are getting to me despite great sunny days. Also, the area is becoming increasingly "Mexicanized (80%)," which isn't necessarily negative but, at the same time, also feels increasingly exclusive culturally.

I've considered Boca Raton, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Sarasota, but need specifics as to amenities for someone who enjoys mostly straight friends and a quiet life of self-fulfillment. Despite being a social progressive I don't want to be in the midst of the club and "keep the party going" set.

I spend most of my time loving my home, pursuing research, and writing plus all my physical and spiritual activities. So, a nice home in a quiet neighborhood with great neighbors is truly a refuge and the essential quality that outweighs cultural amenities in my perspective. But it's still all about location, specifically, in your own physical one.

A beach, or near-beach area, would be preferred, but I'm open to suggestions and really appreciate any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 PM

52 posts, read 249,963 times
Most of South Florida is pretty gay friendly, especially Broward County. In most instances, family communities won't blink at a gay man or gay couple. There are some nice homes just west of Fort Lauderdale in a very gay friendly community called Wilton Manors. It's not flaming or club-y...just very gay friendly.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I would suggest Sarasota. Look into New College of Florida I have many gay friends that attend New College. If you look on the Princeton Review website, New College was rated at of the top schools for acceptance toward gay/lesbian. Sarasota is a very artsy community with many cultural events happening. They have have the Sarasota Film Festival, Ringling Museum, Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, Mote Marine Aquarium, etc.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Default gay friendly

Wilton Manors is a gay neighborhood it is just North of Ft Lauderdale. Miami is gay friendly and Orlando is reported to have the 3'rd largest gay community in the country. Disney is a gay friendly company and it has brought a cosmopolitan approach to the area. I would avoid the North part of the state. You will find we have Rollins college and UCF in Orlando so a couple of great schools to affiliate with for you. The downtown area was redeveloped mostly by gays and as a result is the most "gay" area we have here. With good tastes comes high prices though so downtown is not cheap, but neither is Miami :-)
There is a gay business organization here as well as many other activities and organizations. The Fringe Festival is huge here and a great time. My vote is Orlando.
Ken Anderson

Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Miami may be gay friendly but it is homphobic too. The gay areas are always east of US-1, homosexuals cannot survive more than a few miles from the ocean in south Florida..LOL! Broward county is where its at, I have a gay friend who hates Miami for the Latin-American culture (homophobic Catholic) but enjoyed Broward until his career sent him to Huntsville. Strangely enough he found a boyfriend in Alabama, something he could not do in south Florida. Remember, a gay neighborhood starts old and cheap, gentrifies and the gays move on.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Suburban Fort Lauderdale/Broward area as mentioned is most certainly your best bet in the state, and maybe even your best bet in the country, depending on your job situation. The gay community here is second to San Fransisco (I believe Orlando is 3rd). It helps that the overall area crime rate is lower than Florida's other large cities, some cities even ranking among the safest in the country. Look west of University Drive and you should find what you are looking for. It's more "family-ish" but as mentioned most won't even blink an eye. Personally I have gay friends that sound exactly like you, I'm as straight as it gets, and a lot of them tell me this is a virtual oasis. Check out Plantation, Florida, west of University Drive. Boca Raton might be another place to look, if you can deal with a more uptight vibe in exchange for being closer to the water.

The Sarasota recommendation is also a good one, and New College is an EXCELLENT school. North Pinellas (Palm Harbor/Dunedin/Safety Harbor/etc) is a very nice place to be too, where you are never far from the water and the lifestyle is pretty laid baqck. I don't see any reason you wouldn't be accepted, but the gay community is quite small around there. It's definitely more of a family to older-aged community.

Boca blends in with the Fort Lauderdale thing socially, although it's a little "Snobbier" and more homogeneous.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,539 times
I live in Stuart which is on the east coast 45 miles north of West Palm Beach. My partner & I have never had any problems from anyone due to our orientation. All our neighbors are straight & we all get along fine.

We also do not have the prerequisite to live in a "gay" area, just a nice friendly area & we've found it here. We are not fond of big crowds like in the Miami/FL area. Stuart has more of a "small town" feel yet has all the amenities nearby.

As far as gay oriented places, there's a few bars in PSL (we don't do bars) & more down in Palm Beach area & I'm sure there are clubs & meeting places also, we just have no interest. We've met quite a few gay people in the area just through everyday activities & they love it here also.

There are quite a few parks & nature trails in the area & the beach is nearby also.

Good luck in your decision-making & eventual move. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 38,729 times
If your concerned about your area being Mexicanized, stay away from South Florida, it is already Cubanized, Mexicanized, Ricanized, El Salvadorianized, Guatamalanized and Hatianized. English is NOT the primary language!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM

17 posts, read 83,089 times
Default Note of Thanks

It seems there are a number of friendly people in Florida already!

I had a little information regarding some of the locations, but I knew nothing of Stuart or of Orlando's reputation. As a Disneyesque destination, Orlando should've been obvious.

I welcome additional observations. A friend mentioned Vero Beach and Mt. Dora, I believe it was, as possibilities, too. Thanks so much for the feedback. If you're in need of desert southwest info., I've got plenty.

All the Best.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereElse View Post
English is NOT the primary language!
Yeah, in Hialeah .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida